Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 4 days in Madrid.
  • zippykona

I know absolutely nothing about the place, what must sees are there?

mogrim

Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen (hope you like art).

Wander round the center and sit on a terrace having a beer watching the world go by. Don’t order food in the Plaza Mayor, or indeed anywhere with photos on the menu.

Go for pintxos / tapas in Mercado de San Miguel then walk 500m to the Cava Baja street and have some more.

Retiro park on a Sunday morning.

Wander round Chueca (the gay / alternative area) and go for a meal in one of the restaurants round there.

Clothes shopping in Zara, it’s a lot cheaper in Spain.

Take a train out to Segovia for the day and admire a) the excellent trains and b) the amazing Roman Aqueduct.

If it’s this week there are probably some religious processions. When are you coming?

mogrim

More ideas:

Pretty much anywhere in the centre has good nightlife / bars. Huertas is the usual place for foreigners, Chueca’s always fun, other places are available.

Go to Toledo instead of Segovia. Another nice town to visit.

I think skiing season has ended pretty much, but you could possibly do that. Not sure about costs.

Visit the Bernabeu. Or the Vicente Calderon. Don’t know about ticket availability if you wanted to see a match but it wouldn’t be hard to sort out.

The gardens below the Royal Palace are nice for a wander. (There’s currently no “x marks the spot” to show where I proposed to my now-wife, but when I’m famous there will be).

What do you like doing?

dang100
    Free Member

are you con or sin girlfriend? can you bring a bike? superb mountain biking to be had an hour or so outside Madrid if you fancied that for a day. You’re too late for skiing and in any case it’s sh*t to be honest. Another option for the great outdoors is to get the bus from Moncloa up to Manzanares el real and spend the day hiking in La Pedriza.

Or another option if its a city break: Get the cable car (Paseo del Pintor Rosales) to Casa del Campo then walk back through the park stopping off at the boating lake for a big steak and a bottle of red wine at Urogallo (if you don’t fancy steak and wine they do surprising sturdy tapas which comes free with a pair of (expensive) beers).

zippykona

I shall be avec wife and 4 others who will moan about the weather, food, traffic. ..

mogrim

When are you coming? If it’s this weekend be aware that a lot of shops and all the museums will be closed tomorrow and particularly Friday and Sunday.

zippykona

Whitsun weekend.

mogrim

shall be avec wife and 4 others who will moan about the weather, food, traffic. ..

If it all gets a bit much there are quite a lot of “Irish”* pubs in the centre where you can get a pint and watch the Premier League – seems a bit of a waste to go abroad and then do the same as at home but if things get tense it could be a lifesaver 🙂 Email me if you’re desperate and need directions!

* quotes as most of them are about as Irish as I am, ie not at all.

mogrim

Should be nice by Whitsun, and there aren’t any local holidays that weekend.

dang100
    Free Member

ah the weather will be nice – try to find time for one of the many roof terraces in Madrid. There’s a good one at hotel Oscar, another (less well known one) on Hotel Las Letras and then there’s the daddy of roof terraces on Hotel Me.

dang100
    Free Member

if you’re lucky you might catch the first weekend of the open air swimming pools. It’s usually either the last weekend in May or the first weekend in June

ChrisE
    Free Member

My Bro lives in Manzanares, I will be there again in 8 weeks. Brilliant place. Great countryside. Great bars and eating in Madrid. Pretty cheap.

C

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘4 days in Madrid.’ is closed to new replies.