Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 4 days at school & she's off sick already.
  • mos

It’s a bloody joke. I’ve never known a child without a diagnosed medical problem be off school so much with illness & high temps suggesting some for of infection. 7 yr old daughter came home on Friday with a 38 deg temp which has lasted all weekend. I’m sure there will be a reason for it, but its like all the time. Docs say that’s just how it is, but i’m not so sure. Some people reckon its down to being ‘too clean’ & kids not getting enough exposure germs whilst others say you’re not clean enough that’s why you get so many germs & illnesses. I mean WTF.
    I think she’s managed 1 full term in 4 years of school. We even had the head ringing up last year asking why her attendance was so bad.

Do anybody elses kids have this sort of thing?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds like ira patris syndrome.

All my kids have it too.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Could well be something picked up at school – 7 weeks away from a germ invested environment may have caused her immune system to “take it easy”

Personally I do believe kids are over protected in terms of hygiene. A wee bit of crap isn’t a bad thing.

the-muffin-man

We even had the head ringing up last year asking why her attendance was so bad.

How long and how often are these absences for? Any more than a couple of days at a time and I’d probably be seeking advice from another Doctor.

FWIW – and I’m not sure it’s relevant (but you asked!) – my daughter hasn’t had a day off school in 3 years. And we don’t mind a bit of dirt in our househould.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some people reckon its down to being ‘too clean’ & kids not getting enough exposure germs whilst others say you’re not clean enough that’s why you get so many germs & illnesses.

Ignore all that crap.

Did you ask the head if s/he wanted you to send your nipper in sick?

sandwicheater

Cat aids?

Ours has only started school this week but not a month goes by without some form of cold or high temp. Little champ just soldiers on. He even had shingles last month, he’s only bloody four. Other than the rash, you’d not know.

You have any more kids? Just write this one off?

plyphon
    Free Member

Ah, cold season is upon us!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

She’s 7 and been at school for 4 years?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

FWIW – and I’m not sure it’s relevant (but you asked!) – my daughter hasn’t had a day off school in 3 years. And we don’t mind a bit of dirt in our househould.

Hoorayyyy for presenteeism and the spreading of multi drug resistant bacterial strains!

orangespyderman

38 ain’t a particularly high temp for kids, and unless she’s also very under the weather then I’d just ignore it and parcel her off to school. 😯

Sorry to ask, but are you sure you’re not being a little too quick to keep her at home?

orangespyderman

multi drug resistant bacterial strains

Chances are it’s a virus…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hooray for speeding up the evolution of influenza strains then.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hooray for perpetuating the pharmaceutical industry?

ourmaninthenorth

She’s 7 and been at school for 4 years?

Presumably includes a year at pre-school (pre, recep, Y1, Y2 and now into Y3

My (7 yo) daughter picked up colds and chest infections more frequently than we thought she should. Turns out she is anaemic with very low iron reserves so is now on a course of iron supplement medication.

Definitely worth a return to the doctor.

mos

Recep & Y1-Y3.
    usually 1-2 days.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Have you been keeping a diary of how often, and how long it last?

Best will in the world, if you go and see a GP in isolation and say its happened before there is no evidence to do more. Show evidence that this is more than just a random event.

Plus the fact that virus causes temperature, not just infection, infection takes time to clear, not just 2-3days, and when kids get infected you normally know about it ie they don’t just go back to school. The fact she gets a temperature and then doesn’t get infection is a good thing.

But yes I can see your frustration. Keep a diary, and they maybe go back to the GP. Missing school is a good enough reason for further medical investigation.

Just for a little balance our 7 yr old has been in hospital multiple times over the last 4 years with chest infections. No official diagnosis, although he is under consultant care. He has many weeks off school, but the school has always known why he has been off. I’m a little puzzled why the Head rang you, as they should have known the reasons for absence already.

Jnr FD doesn’t get colds, or illness, he is either 100% fit and healthy, or literally moments from death. We keep him away from kids that have colds etc (as much as you can…)

He has had multiple blood test which noted he was missing antibodies, which have now been boosted, but he still gets ill, just not as much.

mos

Thanks for advice all. I think the diary is a good starting point.

brassneck

Hooray for perpetuating the pharmaceutical industry?

Keep it up chaps, replacing my nicked bike depends on it 😀

samunkim
    Free Member

My Daughter kept getting these symptoms. Turned out she only has 1&1/2 kidneys.
    Pretty much on AntiBiotics for life…

matt_outandabout

FunkyDunk has it. Keep a diary and ask GP..

He has had multiple blood test which noted he was missing antibodies, which have now been boosted, but he still gets ill, just not as much.

I’m not a doctor.

Have you looked up Primary Immuno Deficiency? http://www.piduk.org
    Mrs_oab has no antibodies. SubCut a fresh set each week.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you been keeping a diary of how often, and how long it last?

I’ll bet the school has.

We get handed a printed attendance sheet at every parents night showing their attendance / absences during the year.

Maybe ask the school for a copy of the info to take to the doc?

anagallis_arvensis

I know how she feels, I could do with a day off!!

firestarter
    Free Member

My daughter is like this, there was always something
    Aches pains tired sick I just thought she was a hypochondriac but turns out after years of investigation she has duplex kidneys and that was causing her all the problems

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I blame the parents.

wwaswas

My daughter lost 20% of her school days last year – first year of gcse’s – with recurring tonsillitis. Despite an obvious and medically diagnosed cause we still got a lot of grief from the school. I think they’re on an earner to keep the kids there these days.

I hope the school are reasonable OP – I know it used to worry my daughter when she was ill as she knew she’d get interviewed on her return and there was nothing she could do about it.

This school’s got the best strategy though (it really hasn’t).

“If you feel sick don;t worry – we’ll give you a bucket. If you vomit – no problem! You’ve got your bucket. That’s probably all your body wanted – to vomit.”

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/11/pupils-at-one-of-britains-strictest-schools-told-be-in-bed-by-9pm-and-up-at-6-30am-6917827/#ixzz4sNuyijtF

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘4 days at school & she's off sick already.’ is closed to new replies.