Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 4 days, 7 stanes
  • 5lab

Alright chaps

Is this realistic? got a long weekend coming up, so thought we'd go for a ride or 7 🙂 any reccomendations as to places to stay?

Trekster

any reccomendations as to places to stay?

Well?
    The guys & gals from the East will say Peebles/Inners or there abouts. Whereas I, being from the West will say Dumfries.

Why? we have 3 Stanes, Mabie, Ae and Dalbeattie within a 1/2hr drive from town.
    Kirroughtree is only but an 1hr along the A75 and GT/Inners is 1.1/2hrs away.
    Then there is the new and improved Drumlanrig just 3/4hr up the A76.

So what type of accom do you need/want?
    Hotel
    B&B
    Camping?
    Pod?
    Caravan?

The general concensus is likely to be that Kirroughtree is the best trail(true), that GT is the best "centre", that Inners is best DH styleee and Drum is best "old school"

Is this realistic? got a long weekend coming up, so thought we'd go for a ride or 7

Yes if you are fit enough, plenty of people have done it.
    As I have said it all depends on how fit you are and the weather on the day which can make the trails a bit harder to ride if it is wet.
    (or covered in snow like recently!!!)

It is also possible if you are coming up the M6 to drop in at Whinlatter, only 16/18mls from Penrith.

EuroClive
    Free Member

Solid advice, living near the Fries is awesome, it must have the highest density of trail centers within easy reach anywhere in the UK? You can if your a super fit mad man ride all 7 red trails and ride in between on ya road bike in sub 24 hours. Two a day makes a nice work out for most folk mind. Enjoy.

simonralli2
    Free Member

If I was doing this over 4 days, I would not necessarily do all, and would probably miss out Newcastleton and Glentrool.

Something like

Kirroughtree
    Mabie + Dalbeattie
    Ae + Drumlanrig
    Glentress (Black, Red, Blue combo)

Would make for an excellent mix of riding. However, if, unlike me, you are riding gods and mega fit then go for it.

5lab

thanks for the tips. We're coming oop from dahn sarff, stopping in middlesboro on the thurs night. figured all 7 might just be a challenge, and push us towards something, but we all like a play on the more techy sections as well (including at least one run of binners)

accomodation-wise, cheap as you like but not camping. Initial thoughts are BnBs, but if there are other options (pods etc) as long as they're warm, dry and have a shower, we're good

H

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah well, maybe a better combo would be

Innerleithen
    Glentress (Black, Red, Blue combo)
    Kirroughtree
    Mabie + Dalbeattie

Depending on what time you get to Innerleithen, you could fit in some playing on the Glentress Blue or Red downhills afterwards? I am sure others will be able to comment.

lexiekay
    Free Member

I did a similar trip last year:
    day one – Kirroughtree Black
    day two – Innerleithen and Glentress Red
    day three – Drumlanrig Red and Ae
    day four – Dalbeattie, and messed around on the skills bit at Mabie

All while staying in the Mabie bunkhouse
    Dont think i'd have wanted to do much more than that, but all those were great, my favourites probably Innerleithen and Ae

orena45

Planning a similar trip for later this year – sounds like I'm planning in the right direction which is good – just wish I didn't live in Cornwall now as it's gonna be a long drive up! 🙂

Trekster

Pods @ Mabie House Hotel, Gorsebank, Barnsoul and GT.
    Caravans @ Kipford, Sandyhills, Auchenlarie and Southerness
    B&B, have a look @ Ae web site, 7Stanes web site, 7Stanes.com.
    google breakpad, Criffel Inn, loads more if my laptop would stop playing up 😕
    For something different try a google for Marthrown of Mabie

5lab

thanks guys – I'll start ringing around

H

Trekster

Give Maggie & Gordon a call, sure they will look after you;
    http://www.wallamhill.co.uk/
    Within riding distance of Ae, not far from Dumfries and Mabie

Nice;
    http://www.aefarmcottages.co.uk/

5lab

well, we made it..

did newcastleton, glentrool and kirroughtree (black) on Friday, then Dalbeattie & Mabie on Saturday, Glentress & Inners on Sunday (although alot of those routes were closed) and Ae forest yesterday. weather was a mix of glorious and heavy rain, but all in, a good trip

Was fairly surprised at how techie some of the red trails were – we all dabble in a bit of dh so didn't struggle, but I'd say quite a few of the trails had fairly wide scope for stackage. The only bits of Black I skipped were the skinny log rolls, cos I'm rather crap at them 🙂

we ended up staying at Galloway Activity Centre, which was nice (stayed in a house) – friendly bunch, and good facilities, but nearest pub (and thus nearest food as we didn't have a kitchen, and nearest beer) was 4 miles away..

Diane
    Free Member

That's a pretty heavy schedule!

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

It's because everyone is core up here. 😀

simonralli2
    Free Member

Wow – respect is due! Hopefully you really enjoyed it despite the manic schedule. I tend to do one every couple of days or so, with rest days needed in between.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘4 days, 7 stanes’ is closed to new replies.