Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 4 day week.
  • samuri
    Free Member

I bumped into one of our auditors this morning at 7:00

I asked her if she had a lot on because she was in so early but she said no, she always starts work at 7 nowadays, works till 5 and has Thursday off!!!

I thought that sounded ace and told her so. That sounds exactly like my working week except I still come in Thursdays. Is this something a lot of people do? Obviously Thursday is a bad day to choose, I’d go for Monday or Friday. Do people normally have to provide some fairly strong justification (I’m assuming she’s doing this to look after someone) or is it normally down to the company policy. I’m thinking about what government policies may back up taking this approach.

Obviously this is all dream talk, I’m almost certain if I mention this to my boss he’ll begin his response with ‘HA’, end it with ‘HA’ and have lots of ‘HA’s’ in the middle.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I did a 4 day week for over 12 yrs , 37 hrs over 4 days, LOVED having Fridays off and getting a 3 day weekend 😀 …… sadly that job has gone now and now working a full 5 day week ….. which after 18 months is still a struggle to work a friday 🙁 ….
    God i miss that job ….. Goood money and a 4 day week !

binners

You don’t know until you ask. I did. I spent ages thinking exactly what you’re thinking – ‘they’re bound to tell me to **** off!”. When I finally sat down with my boss he was fine with it and just said “I don’t see any reason why not”.

So now I start a bit earlier than everyone else every day, so I can finish at lunchtime one day a week. It means that one day I week I can pick the kids up from school and we can go and do stuff.

The joys of working for a company who’s ‘family-friendly, flexible attitude to employees exists’ in more than a corporate PR statement 😀

Just ask

notmyrealname
    Free Member

My previous job had a 4 day week but the day changed each week.
    You had Monday one week, Tuesday the next and so on. Every fifth week you got Friday one week and Monday the next giving you a four day weekend 😀
    As if that wasn’t good enough, you finished two hours early on your last day as well so on the Thursday before your long weekend, you went home at 15:30 😆

miketually
    Free Member

I wish I had flexitime. Actually, I just wish I only had to work 37 hours in each week.

My brother-in-law’s currently doing a normal Mon-Fri 9-5 week after years of shift work and he’s hating it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It all depends how your job works, if your good and can organise then it’s possible. The only sticking point is jealousy from colleagues leading to an office shutdown every friday etc.

I used to get most of my hours in Mon-Thurs and be off ASAP on Friday (1hr was the record)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t understand why more place don’t do it. (would have to be notmyrealname’s type of rota though) would cut down the amount of commuting and move traffic away from peak times.

tonyd

Sounds like a great idea, might have to have a conversation with the boss this week!

wait4me

I did a 3 day week (3x12hr days) up until recently. Now do 5 days split early and late (6-2, 2-10). It’s sort of swings and roundabouts, 12hrs felt a bloomin long day and I was too knackered to do anything after work, but time off was good. I felt a bit bi-polar, really miserable at start of shift (which is essentially 6 days on), but walking out of the door to start my week off felt like leaving Wormwood Scrubs!

brooess
    Free Member

Maybe spend less time on STW in work time, and go home at 5:30 every night 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘4 day week.’ is closed to new replies.