Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 4 bolt rotors for Rohloff
  • jsinglet

Does anyone know why there is such a wide variation in price for Rohloff 4 bolt rotors?

Mono Mini rotor £26 – http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hope-mono-mini-2-4-saw-tooth-4-bolt-rohloff-rotor-160-mm-prod17831/

Shimano/Formula £66 – http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-brake-disc-for-rohloff-speedhub-500-14-160mm-for-shimano-hayes-formula-avid-8281-prod17834/

How different can they be? My rotor is about 6 years old and quite worn, I would replace as I’m getting some new Shimano brakes, but is it worth the extra £40 to get the ‘Shimano compatible’ one?

bencooper
    Free Member

They’re all made by Hope – my guess is that it’s because the Mono Mini one is an off-the-shelf rotor from Hope, the Shimano one is a custom-cut one.

If the outside diameter is the same (i.e. 160mm) and the braking surface isn’t narrower (which it won’t be) then it doesn’t matter – apart from maybe aesthetically.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

As long as the outer diameter is correct you won’t die and even if it is you can sometimes get away with a roter that’s 5mm out (some 160mm calipers will accept 165mm roters and those that can’t can be spaced out with washers).

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes – though I’ve occasionally had vice versa – some rotors (especially wavy ones) aren’t the outer diameter they say they are.

I fix it with a Dremel or angle grinder 😉

jsinglet

I don’t care enough about aesthetics to spend the extra £40 so cheaper one for me. Thanks!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

IME Hope rotors are ever slightly thicker than standard shimano rotors, which means they can be a bit of a faff to setup with Shimano callipers, that applies to all designs, not just Rohloff.

FWIW, I have a Hope rotor and XT calliper on my Rohloff and have no problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘4 bolt rotors for Rohloff’ is closed to new replies.