Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 3×10 with bash instead of big ring – double or triple front mech?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I think I’ve made the mistake of getting a double front mech, but now reckon it’s too small to clear the bash properly when shifting to the middle ring and too shallow to allow the chain to clear the mech cage when in the small ring.

Is that likely to be the case? Obviously the exact ring sizes will make a difference, but I’d imagine most 2x mechs are made to be big enough to cope with a bash that is a few teeth larger than the outer 2x ring.

cheers

d45yth
    Free Member

I thought you had to use a triple mech and turn something on the shifter to make it x2?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I ran a double mech when I ran a double and bash (22,32). Worked fine.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Is that likely to be the case? Obviously the exact ring sizes will make a difference, but I’d imagine most 2x mechs are made to be big enough to cope with a bash that is a few teeth larger than the outer 2x ring

Not necessarily it would also depend on the size of bash.

I’m currently running a 10 speed triple XT with 24-36 rings and Gamut (36t)bash. After trying a 10 speed triple XT and a 9 speed double specific SLX I settled on a Shimano FD-M785-10 (double specific) and it works fine, it sits just off the bash.

New Gamut P30 Dual 2X10 by Dirtydog11, on Flickr

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just changed from a triple mech to a double (SLX 665) and the instructions assume you are using a bash (even though I’m not).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks all. I have a Hope bash that is just a little too big compared with the big/middle ring to clear it. Luckily I had a spare triple mech (which I was running on a genuine 2×10 set up…..d’oh!).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘3×10 with bash instead of big ring – double or triple front mech?’ is closed to new replies.