Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 3x 10 – what is the point?
  • moonboy
    Free Member

Having recently gone through the fairly ouchy financial pain of getting a new dynasis 3*10 set up to replace the steadily worn out stuff on my ghost…

got me thinking…

For the past year I have been running 2 bikes, one with 3*10 and with a totally boggo 3*9 setup. For general UK riding about with a bit of xc and enduro racing thrown in.

In that time I honestly cannot say that at any moment any particular gradient made me think, you know if I was on my other bike with its 10 speed rear I would have had a better selection of gears to create better cadence blah blah blah – I think you know what I am saying.

In-fact, while out riding I don’t think I am ever conscious of 9 or 10, just shift into the best gear and go.

Maybe by posting this I am showing my hand as not having sufficient biking sensibilities to appreciate the difference, if so hey ho…

Now, 2*10 yep I can see that. A little bit lighter, a good range of cogs and the ability to go big-big / small-small (right?) with the different spacings.

But 3*10, its just marketing pish isn’t it?

(and expensive to replace!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3×10 is just 2×10 with a spikey bash ring

kanza
    Free Member

For commuting.

thepodge
    Free Member

1×8 is where its at

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well………

Shimano claimed that 10speed was a by-product of the new ratios not the other way arround, so shifting one gear at the front was less at the back as the front gears are closer together and the slightly closer together rear gears meant that pressing the levers on both shifters at the same time would result in not actualy changeing a gear (i.e. you be in the big ring and 3 bigger at the back, but the same ratio).

2×10 is more like 3×9 in that shifting at the front means your still higher/lower than you were even if you push the lever it’s full throw at the back.

That was the theory anyway.

In reality both are deeply uncool as all the kidz with skilz ride 1x and 2x.

flip
    Free Member

I build and ride retro road bikes and get along nicely with a 6-7 rear freewheel and 52-42 up front.

😀

30 gears is all marketing pish, but they gotta sell you something though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I get your point I’ve had until recently 3 x 10, before that I had 3 x 8. To be honest in general riding I didnt notice much difference, although very occasionaly I have noticed the slightly easier change up the block.

Tomorrow I get 2 x 10 and I am intrigued to see the difference. I imagine I will spend more time pressing the left shifter ??

matthew_h
    Free Member

I see 3×10 as the same as 1×10 but with a get-out-of-trouble at the bottom and an overdrive at the top.

It’s not for me, I’ve gone 1×10 and manage fine, but it does actually allow for less front shifting.

2×10 often seems to leave you with some awkward ratios and can lead to an awful lot of front shifting due to the ratio differences.

Depends on your fitness and the terrain you ride though

soobalias
    Free Member

from a mates experience, cos 2-10 wouldnt fit his frame due to the larger ‘middle’ ring

so 3-10 it is.

he couldnt/wouldnt manage 1-10, or SS, and to get the front chainrings separately with a 36t as the larger in a double, on a brand new crankset, was prohibitively expensive and didnt fulfill the marketing tripe that a longer gear than achieved by 36/11, is really needed. Oh and despite slight consumer resistance, 10spd will become the norm over the coming years, a standard he wanted to adopt!

Gunz
    Free Member

It’s so that rich people can buoy up the industry, who can then keep making sensibly priced kit for the rest of us to buy.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve got 3×10 – it came with my bike, but I rarely use the big ring. I do use the granny though 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘3x 10 – what is the point?’ is closed to new replies.