Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 3rd flat in as many days. F!!!!!
  • SaxonRider

I am currently standing outside the Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais waiting for Mrs SR to pick me up after my 3rd flat on the same tyre in as many days. WTF is with that?!? I have ridden that wheel and tyre for six months without incident, then when I got my first flat, I located the hole, replied the tube, cleaned the tyre, and got everything set for the next ride.

Next ride? The tyre had gone flat again before I started. So off came the tyre, rim got checked, tyre got checked, new tube went in… No problem. Perfect when I woke up this morning, and I set off. Of course, I have no spare or kit with me because I have used it all by now, and being post-Christmas can’t afford any until next month, but after no incidents in 6 months other than the flat I have just fixed (thoroughly, or so I think), I figured I was good to go.

Anyway, Mrs SR is probably mad at me, and I only got half way through my ride before this happened, so all in all, not a great start to Saturday.

#%^*+*!

jekkyl

You know the answer! Or are you roadie’ing today?

xyeti
    Free Member

Thats not good, apart from the obvious…… and if you are on a MTB get rid of the tubes, if you are skinny wheeling it again, sounds like you have checked obvious, BUT, spokes? also look at where the hole is in relation to the rim, Could just be the debris on the road through migration?

I had several punctures in a short space of time in Oct, on the skinny bike, fixing flats was a nause as i’ve been tubeless for quite a while on the MTB, anyway It was raining then and it wasnt fun as you know in the wild so i bought some tougher tyres and so far in nearly a thousand Miles nothing, despite the farmers cutting back the hedges last month. And all the debris on the B roads.

And unusually large ammounts of Glass on the roads in the villages.

something could have worked its way in to the tyre.

SaxonRider

Or are you roadie’ing today?

Yep.

I’m safe and warm back in my house now, but have the task of taking everything apart again, and scouring it all with a magnifying glass.

jekkyl

I do love tubeless on the MTB. I had a puncture on the canal the other night. I heard the pssstttttt of air escaping, looked at it where it was on the front wheeel, put the hole to the bottom and bumped it about a bit. Heard the psssttttt stop as the sealant did it’s work. Squeezed the tyre for pressure, not too bad so Wwent on my way. Total stop time… about 3 minutes. lol. Absolutely fantastic, it was raining lightly and wasn’t the warmest of nights. Worth every penny of the tubeless set up.
    Op iiwy I’d be looking for ways of setting up your skinny tyres tubeless asap.

scaredypants

presumably your tyres are worn to the point where they’re not really capable of repelling boarders (coupled with all the shite washed onto roads recently).

Or else there’s a bit of glass/flint hiding in there that’s too small really to spot.

(road tubeless is great, incidentally, but if you do it make sure the tyres are proper tubeless-capable)

br
    Free Member

You can’t afford to buy patches or a tube, but can afford for your Missus to drive over and pick you up?

Yer, right #lamexcuses

Check the inside of the tyre properly, probably something causing it.

badllama
    Free Member

Ive had this in the past and could not find the issue ended up replacing the tyre and solved it.

benw
    Free Member

New tyre and tube sorts it every time all the rest is false economy and just wastes time IMO

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, tyres do seem to fall off a bit of a cliff, once they get to a certain point of wear they start to puncture all the time, even if they don’t look that different

SaxonRider

I’m running Schwalbe Duranos (23c), which I would have thought might have taken a few more miles. Ah well. I’ll report back if I find some other cause.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais

Like, like where on earth is that?? 😆

Sometimes shite happens. I can go months without a puncture on the CXer then all of a sudden I get a small spate of them, and they seem to happen when I’m in interval mode too.. Which is a little annoying to say the least.
    Haven’t had one on the roadie in a long while, but then it’s hanging up in the spare room all cosseted and warm, doubt it’ll see the daylight until March 😯

vickypea
    Free Member

I reached the point on my MTBS where I had at least one or 2 punctures in each thre, virtually every ride. I thought it was a dodgy batch of tubes because the holes were usually close to the valve, but in the end I realised that the tyres were really worn and they must have been slipping on the rim and pulling at the inner tubes (or something!)
    Anyway, new tyres solved the problem.

pdw
    Free Member

Did you fix the first flat with CO2? If so, that will probably explain why it was flat again when you next came ride it, as co2 is more permeable through rubber. I’ve made this mistake myself and have spent ages trying to find a hole that wasn’t there. Beyond that, I’d guess worn tyres.

SaxonRider

Culprit found! After removing the tyre again, I dragged a damp rag around the inner circumference. When it snagged on something, I tried again with my finger and could barely feel it. Tried again with the rag and there was definitely something there. In any case, after twisting and pressing in different directions, I was able to extract, with the help of a pair of pliers, a fine piece of wire.

Not from the tyre itself as far as I can tell, as with a magnifying glass, it is possible to see a hole on the outside where it went through. None of this was visible with the first few ‘normal’ checks, but became evident only after my frustration-fuelled scour.

I have pumped it back up again to see what happens, but will be more cautious (and prepared) before going out next time.

boxelder

Rolled up loo roll or kitchen tissue is good for checking the inside of tyres.

bikebouy
    Free Member

4, yup 4! flats today. I tell yas, frustration was in order and at one point (the 4th) I thought about hobbling back to the car on one leg with my left arm tied behind my back and my helmet on back to front, thinking this might be the quicker option that riding my CXer.. 🙄

Again I’m back in training, sodding training, damn the gritty shingle fest that is the New Forest Gravel trails, damn them all. For it’s they, not me obvs, that are the cause of my anguish.

I’m going to write to my MP to get them all tarmaced 😆

As is, I KOM’d one segment and beat my time and speed from yesterdays run at it.

4 though, I ask ya.

🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘3rd flat in as many days. F!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.