Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 3k to spend on new bike help needed.just what to buy
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi all going to buy a new long travel full susser and was thinking of a spicy 516.
    going to wait untill the begining of jan a try and get an 09 when the discount kicks in.
    do you think this is a good move or should i be looking elswere.
    test rode one at gt last week and to be honest i fookin loved it.just seemed right.
    any sugestions on other bikes i should be looking at as iv,e only rode this spicy but will try and test others if i can.
    cheers gang.

kiwijohn

There'll probably only be extra large left by then. Is it worth waiting?

richwales

Don't buy until you try!! you're not in a rush so demo as many as you can, even if it means travelling a bit.

jonb
    Free Member

Err, I got an 09 dicsounted bike 2 months ago. I wouldn't wait too long the '10 have been out for ages with a lot of brands.

For 3k I'd be getting one built rather than off the peg.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

1) 09 bikes are already being discounted – get in there now or you will have less choice
    2) You need a bigger shortlist – why are you narrowed down to one bike
    3) Go and properly test ride 2 or 3 bikes. FFS you wouldn't spend £500 on a bed without lying on a few. Why would you blow £3000 on a bike without riding some?

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree: For £3000 you could get a custom bike built up. I have found that all "off the peg" bikes come with kit that are a bit of a compromise and may not be best suited to you.

Up against the Spicy I would put the Banshee Rune, Orange Alpine, Titus El Guapo, Santa Cruz Nomad etc etc.

robhughes
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring. hi mate .not narowing it down to 1 bike thats why i posted this.to det some ideas of you guys.
    mikey74.yer that orange may tick the boxes.
    jonb. did you get a discounted spicy already??

robhughes
    Free Member

mussed.shame that.only small left.

si-wilson
    Free Member

the Spicy has been a popluar bike from the dealers i speak with, and i wouldn't be sure of much stock lying about in the new year.

For your budget i would certainly look at building/speccing a bike yourself though 🙂

robarnold
    Free Member

Get a Nomad!!!!

br
    Free Member

what do you currently ride, and where (and how…) – may help narrow the field down a bit

coogan
    Free Member

Turner 5 Spot should defo be looked at in that price range. Just got my new one. Utterly brilliant bike.

zaskar
    Free Member

Trek Roadbike with custom paintjob.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

By long travel you mean what exactly,

5", 6", 7", 8"+ which is it?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as others have said demo some more, but if the spicy "just seemed right" then other bikes will have a lot to live up to. If you get one then for that money get the spec changed to suit you and what you want.

Ive recently picked up a (used) Nomad, (having never ridden one, and being fully prepared to be underwhelmed and re-sell it). I've always loved the 5" Coiler I've had for a few years, but the Nomad just felt "right"; really nicely balanced, suspension is already brilliant with minimal fettling to all the masses of adjustment available, and it even climbs well with a non-travel-adjustable 160mm Lyrik. Well worth a look.

If I had more faith in carbon (and am quite happy to acknowledge my fear may not be wholly rational) I'd also have considered an Ibis Mojo or Blur LT Carbon.

robhughes
    Free Member

br.iv,e got an 08 marin wolfridge at the mo.
    time for a new bike.
    the wolfridge is for sale if anyone is intrested.
    mint condition 6 months old(with recipts)09xt drivetrain.it,s like new.still under garantee.dual air u-turn pikes.

br
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the Marin – and will a different bike cure it?

And if its 'like new', does that mean you've barely ridden it?

A decent write-up too

null

Now I can't talk as I went through a number of bikes in a couple of years, but redundancy last year meant that wasn't possible any more – so I've just spent my time riding my current bike, and fiddling with it (plus buying/swapping bits and pieces when I find them cheap).

I'd suggest rather than selling the Marin, you spend £1k or so buying a decent lightweight H/T (say Whyte 905) – and then keep the Marin for heavier stuff – or just for bits (sell the frame/shock).

robhughes
    Free Member

^^^^^just realy liked the spicy.i only test rode it because i was up in scotland with the marin for a week and just wanted to try a bike with a pair of 36 talas in a view to buying a pair for the marin.
    but this was a bad move as the spicy blew me away.fitted like a glove and was a craking ride.
    now i,m not satisfied with the marin and got the horn for one which wont go away.
    hence the marin is now for sale.i,ll stick it on here and on the bay.
    who ever gets it will get one mint bike.
    maintained to death.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘3k to spend on new bike help needed.just what to buy’ is closed to new replies.