Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 3gb dongle..how much usage a month ?
  • catnap
    Free Member

Hi good people i want to get a pay as you go dongle for the computer,its a long story
    But cant sign any contracts. What i want to know is what kind of hours and usage will a 3gb monthly give me? Its unlimited up to 3gb.all i usually use the net for is web browsing and ebay account read up. Your help would be great as im a bit clueless ! Matt

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Get an application like DU Meter or some other application for monitoring your web data usage.

Web pages generally shouldn't eat up too much bandwith but things like software updates, uploading photos, flickr, youtube, vimeo etc will.

100Mb/day should be plenty for just web surfing, but the number of hours it'll take to hit it depends on how fast your actual connection is.

vrapan
    Free Member

Web Surfing is very broad. Do you visit Youtube a lot? Download any music? Upload photos on flickr? Download applications? Listen to the radio on the internet? Do any of those at any length of time and you will hit the 3GB quite quickly.

1GB here but only during work hours so nothing of the above. A couple times that I have needed to download a couple hundrend apps though I hit the cap 3-4 days before the renewal date.

Having said that get the 3GB PAYG and if you see it is not enough you could get a bigger allowance?

chela
    Free Member

From the 3 3GB dongle box in front of me:

Send 3000 Outlook/HTML Emails
    Surf the Web for 30 hours
    Download 15 four minute videos
    Download 96 four minute music tracks

The hours are longer than that in reality in my experience. GF has 3GB dongle monthly dongle allowance from Vodafone and she uses at most half of that. Thats from on average at least 3 hours a day use and sometimes much much longer. That's normal browsing (mostly shopping, I suspect) and emailing. If she watches YouTube or streams music or video then it goes through the roof pretty quick. But without those she gets a hell of a lot more than 30 hours.

Although I think some PAYG allowances might be 3GB *or* 30 hours, whichever comes first.

catnap
    Free Member

Thank good people realy helpfull. I only use the net realy for my ebay account various forums stw ect and shopping.i dare say id use it for just general net browsing for around 4 hours a day no downloads or watching vids ect. Sounds like ill be ok buying one

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

You should be fine,try to avoid websites with alot of video adverts.Two hours just on stw forums has used 40mb of data.I have a 3 Dongle with 1gb allowance.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Install Mozilla Firefox and a few Addons to lock down the ads, save your bandwith!

catnap
    Free Member

Yes been looking at the 3 or vodafone and they seem ok. I think its 30 hours or 3gb as whatever comes 1st. My main worry was that 30 hours browsing a month isnt a lot at all is it? An hour a day doesnt seem worth getting one.but if by what you say you all seem to get longer. Think ill toddle off downtown and get one 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘3gb dongle..how much usage a month ?’ is closed to new replies.