Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 3G/4G laptop dongle or alternative
  • exilegeordie
    Free Member

So, I’m going to be working away from home throughout January and need some way of connecting my laptop to the internet (as far as I’m aware, there will be no wi-fi available where I’ll be based).

Can anyone suggest a dongle or alternative please? Ideally unlocked so that I can run a SIM from any of the major carriers?

Looking at this one on amazon, mated to one of these bad boys.

The dongle seems to get mixed reviews, so am wondering whether that’s the way to go or not.

Laptop is a new HP running Windows 7 Home 64 Bit in case that makes any difference.
    Cheers,

Andy

jam-bo

Mifi

soma_rich
    Free Member

I support a small team who all have Huawei 3G dongles and the software is awful! If you get one make sure you can use 3rd party 3G software with it!

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Mifi?

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks soma_rich…one to avoid then.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Dont know why you would need MiFi on a laptop as you have a USB port. I thought they just spat out WiFi for tablets and the like?

poonprice
    Free Member

If you have an Android or iPhone try tethering,

I’ve used it on Three in the last month as the phone line was dead for nearly 14 days and it was great with speeds of around 3+mbit which is fine for general surfing and was enough for me to watch HD youtube clips. It does kill the phone battery a little.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

I have an android phone, so tethering could be an option. However my data plan is limited to 500Mb per month. I guess I could up this though (cogs are now turning).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘3G/4G laptop dongle or alternative’ is closed to new replies.