Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 3G iphone update
  • scraprider
    Free Member

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

a major update ,release prolly in the summer is coming for the iphone and itouch, 100 improvements and loads of other stuff , see link , updated called 3.0

kiwijohn

Free for iphone
    10 bloody $ for ipod touch though.
    & it’s “probably”

loddrik
    Free Member

Cut and paste and mms, at last. Now all we need is a decent camera

jam-bo

Looks good. Rumour is that new hardware will be out in July too. O2 should start dumping this gen iPhone off cheap soon if that’s the case.

Best bit for me is proper Bluetooth support.

yoshimi

Excellent:))))))))))

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still no flash video though apparently…still think this is one of the major flaws in an otherwise excellent piece of kit.

andywhit
    Free Member

Bluetooth for the touch 2G, nice!

And copy/cut/paste at last 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Good news but I still wonder why it’s taken so long to do something so basic. Anyway, I’ll be interested to see how the cut&paste works.

As someone looking at an iphone around July, I was a bit suprised to hear that you can’t run apps in the background on an iphone – even on my current N95, that’s an essential bit of functionality (esp with no cut and paste say if you want to get an email from a website and then send an email)

CountZero

There are pages about the updates on the Macrumours forums. Cut/copy/paste works by double-tapping and holding at the beginning of the text then dragging to the end of what you want to copy or cut, then you get the option menue appear. It seems also that video will be available on the next iPhone, there are clues in menue options in OS3. GPS gets proper turn-by-turn navigation, so TomTom will finally be able to release their iPhone version, Bluetooth is full A2DP stereo, and you get proper landscape keyboard for texting and email. There will be the ability to shop from within apps, so game upgrades can be done, or maybe ticket vendors can set up their own apps. Background running is not an option because it uses too much battery power at the mo’, but it might be on the next phone, as there is new battery tech available now, plus multi-core ARM processors are coming, which draw less juice, but probably not till June/July 2010. This was all for the developers to get to grips with new features prior to the OS and the new phone being released June/July, Apple’s usual release date. My phone’s only six months old, so I have to wait a year for an upgrade, but I still get all the software upgrades anyway, which is cool. For those with Touches who begrudge spending $10 for significant improvements in functionality, which you never bought the devise expecting to get anyway, stop whining and either pay up or shut up. You DON’T have to upgrade, it won’t stop being what you bought in the first place, and if it’s such a problem for you, then do what I did and pay £150 upfront and £30/month for the phone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As a user of a N series and a touch it seems odd that they got away with no cut and paste and lots of other basic stuff for so long.

In some ways they are just catching up but it’s greeted as an “amazing step forward” by i-drones.

vinnyeh

the paid for touch updates seem to turn up in the usual places anyway, for those objecting to paying

IWH
    Free Member

“Got away with”? Doesn’t the fact that it’s still been hugely adopted as a business and personal phone tell you something about just how little a concern this actually was? Sure, it’ll be nice to have but at least now it’s been thought out, and will work, unlike certain other manufacturers phones.

The new generation of batteries will open up all sorts of possibilities for the new hardware and OS. I downloaded the new SDK and OS3.0 Beta and I’m geekily excited to figure out just what we can make this do. Currently I’m working on a ride app that makes use of 3 of the new functions so am looking forward to the new OS being widely available to get more people trying this out!

I will concede the lack of MMS support for so long was quite a surprise but otherwise the phone is still ahead of what anyone else was offering at the time – and they’re still playing catch up.

But I’m just an iDrone, so what do I know? 😉

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I watched the whole hour and a half of the presentation and made my decision. I was hovering between the Blackberry Curve and the iPhone and this upgrade brings the iPhone to the top of the list.
    However with rumours of new hardwear do I hold off? A better camera would be nice but then how long do you hold off?
    I have never bothered about Apple products before but my brother has an iMac and an iBook and in turn my mum just purchased an iMac and after a play I’d have to say I am very impressed. The wife and I have iPods but I have to admit to hating iTunes.
    I’ve never understood the iHating that goes on with Apple v’s PC or other phone companies as it is now…. I suppose everyone needs a hobby.

GrahamS

Still no flash video though apparently..

There are plenty of iPhone-friendly frot sites if that is what you’re after. (hint: ipg, mofo, hub)

I will concede the lack of MMS support for so long was quite a surprise…

The 1st gen iPhones won’t get MMS as part of the upgrade. Apple say this is because they have the “wrong sort of radio”. This sounds like bollocks to me because plenty of other GSM/GPRS phones can send MMS.

<geekery>
    I spoke to a mate “in industry” and he guesses that they’ve implemented MMS in a weird way, possibly tunnelling through the 3G data connection, rather than using the signalling plane. This would make sense as there was no reason the iPhone couldn’t do MMS originally other than the operators who vetoed it because it would use too much signal plane bandwidth.
    </geekery>

cynic-al
    Free Member

they’re still playing catch up.

I guess my point is that the apple stuff is different, not better, and yes, it’s clearly better at enough things for many not to bother about what it lacks.

CountZero

Cynic-al, have you been reading the macrumours forums? Exactly the same points have been raised. Ultimately who cares? I bought mine because of what it can do, not what it might do. I had an N95, and frankly the iPhone wee’s in it’s shoes in just about every respect. Despite its pixel count, the camera is actually usable, unlike the 95’s, where I often lost the will to live just trying to get one photo that was in focus. GPS on the Nokia is a joke, I had to buy a BT QStarz receiver to get it to work, and the battery on the Nokia is hopeless, I managed to run it down just listening to music for two hours, even with a 1400MAh battery, which didn’t fit properly causing the SIM to continually lose contact. Web browsing is also vastly superior on the iPhone, to the extent I hardly ever even use my laptop, because I have the iPhone with me all the time, in fact I’m writing this with it now. The new functionality that OS3 will bring will make an already stunning piece of kit even better, without costing me anything, when I would have been more than happy to wait for the upgrades to appear in the next gen phone. It just does everything I want so much better than any phone I’ve owned, which have been K750i, XDA Mini and N95. The XDA was possibly the most unusable OS I’ve had the misfortune to pay money for, only it’s keyboard saving it. Some people will get overexited

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez chill out man. You started off your rant with “who cares”. I’m glad you’re happy with your phone. I’m happy with mine.

Move on!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘3G iphone update’ is closed to new replies.