Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 3D Films
  • Kuco

Saw Avatar and thought the 3D in it was really good I noticed it gave more depth and noticed the 3D in the small thing rather the large things like where the tree is burning. But it seems like pump any old shite out in 3D at the moment with out any thought what so ever.

bassspine
    Free Member

3d is harder to pirate, so the studios see it as the way forward.

(Avatar in 3D was sh1thot though wasn't it.)

Kuco

I didn't think it was shit just to long could have easily cut an hour off.

And imo Sigourney Weaver still looked hot as a 10ft blue alien LOL 🙂

funkynick

I saw Avatar and thought the 3D was a bit crap really… I really didn't think it actually added anything to the film, and if anything I found it annoying. Oh, and it gave me a headache!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have only seen Shrek in 3D – it's not so great when you wear glasses, but yeah, I enjoyed some of the effects.

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah, Visually, I really enjoyed avatar 3D. Been a fan of James camerons Sci-Fi stuff since terminator/Aliens/Abyss, and he certainly pushes a visual style to the limits of technology. Shoulda just brought my Mp3 player though, with some chillout/ambient tunes, I would've enjoyed it more. as the plot, dialogue and soundtrack was just same old contrived stuff.

whyter

I always find that the 3D adverts before the film starts make better use of the 3D than the film itself – things flying out of the screen etc.

Kuco

His aim in Avatar was to make it more visually appealing with bright lively colours rather than the dark films of previous years.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If 3D is the future of cinema, then God help us all. It's awful.

_tom_
    Free Member

it's not so great when you wear glasses

I don't seem to have any problems with wearing the 3d glasses over normal ones. Bit more uncomfortable but it's not really that much of a problem.. certainly works better than without glasses!

Kuco

Same as tom didn't find it a problem over normal glasses,

samuri
    Free Member

I've come across some anti 3D people recently, it's *extremely* bizarre.

Here's my helpful tip list for people who aren't really keen on 3D.

1. So far, as far as I can tell, pretty much every film that's been made in 3D, has also been made in 2D. If you don't like the 3D type of filming, there's an option you can take. HTH.

2. Modern 3D with the polorized glasses, is 5 million times better than the old 3D with red and blue glasses, trust me. I watched a western who'sname I forget and Jaws 3D with the blue and red blobs and this new stuff, rocks awesomely.

3. It's not awesome? Are you shitting me? Take someone who has never been to a 3D film before and watch them when it's being shown, they will duck in their seat and scream, especially if they're a girl. It's properly brilliant! Often, you feel like you're right in the middle of the action. They showed a football match in 3D when we went to watch toy story and it was freaking crazy! Like we were stood on the pitch! This is not good, how?

4. It's not so great when you wear glasses? No idea what your problem is Simon, I wear big old milk bottle bottom glasses and it's fine for me.

5.Yes! They will throw stuff out into the audience in 3D on purpose to make the 3D stuff work, again, is that a problem? Why? It's not like you're watching stimulating films, it's supposed to be fun.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I didn't want to be so curmudgeonly as to say to my mates, "right guys, see you after the film, I'm watching in 2D". It's not immersive in the slightest. It allows for lazy direction because the focus is often on the centre of the screen. The director and cinematographer can just concentrate on that then.

I watch cinema to be stimulated, provoked, made to think. Not to "immerse" myself in a shitty CGI'd world of swoopy pointy flying crap. If decent leftfield independent cinema ends up struggling because of 3D, then jeebus help us.

(not that I think it will tbh, I suspect that kind of stuff doesn't get pirated so much as the shite that gets put out in 3D)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

… and it's not like samuri to be enthusiastic 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

don't worry about it Darcy. There is emotional content in Toy Story 3D as there in an Indie Film, or Ingmar Bergman or whatever. It's all "created" and false and acted!. You are just being snobbish. It's the quality that counts, not the way it is created.

samuri
    Free Member

Well you're probably in luck then because I very much doubt Primer is eve rgoing to make it to 3D but that's a personal choice isn't it? You're probably kidding yourself if you believe Avatar is going to stretch your mind.

The film makers aren't daft, they will make cool action filsm with jump out and grab you scenes in 3D, and clever, make you think films in 2D. Different audiences.

I'm sincerely hoping that that the line between smart and action is something that even coke hopped hollywood executives feel is a threshold that should never be crossed.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don't find the 3d stuff immersive tbh, I get annoyed that bits look blurry and take a while to focus on and it actually ruins it a bit for me. Especially on fast action parts, it all turns into a blur. And before anyone says anything my prescription is up to date!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No I'm not.

Yes you are.

No I'm not.

Yes you are.

Got that out of the way first.

I'm not really…honest guv. And Toy Story was one of the ones I endured in 3D. Excellent film by the way. Laughed till I nearly wet myself at "Spanish" Buzz. But the "you’re definitely going to cry" moment was a bit overrated…I was worried but I didn't cry.

Still wish I'd gone to see it in 2D.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm sincerely hoping that that the line between smart and action is something that even coke hopped hollywood executives feel is a threshold that should never be crossed.

Agreed. And if they think they did it with that pile of shite that was Inception, then they can dream on 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Maybe, and this is not a slur on anyone at all because I have appalling eyesight, maybe some people don't see 3D properly. Or imagine it the same way.
    When I watch say, Avatar and they jump off the very high trees, my stomach rises. I feel like I'm falling with them. Toy story was a bit poor as far as 3D goes IMO. It sometimes fewt like I was in the action, but only when I remembered it was 3D. The rest of the time it was just a film. Avatar made me feel like I was there.

Kevevs
    Free Member

but it's trying to push the limits a bit, so why not, in time it'll get better and more interesting. I want an all immersive 360 3D film experience like in Strange Days! or buy a ticket to a memory implant of my previous life on mars. Cool! Most big film releases are boring and formulaic and loud and safe. Unless you live in a city, you're not likely gonna get a cinema experience of an interesting independent low budget film. Whether it's 2d or 3d, the quaility and originality needs to improve and stop just following money making formulas. Everytime I look at the local cineworld listing, it's just booring formulaic,hyped, marketed shite.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kevevs, I'd say you're just being a bit snobbish there :mrgreen:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

All I see now (when watching 'normal' films) is the direction deliberately shot to benefit 3d – saw Inception last night and it screamed 'i've been shot for the 3d Market' almost throughout. tWas a good film though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I don't go to the cinema often but watch a lot of films at home. What i worry about is films being too reliant on 3D and being crap when you watch on your 2D television. Fortunately most of the film types i enjoy haven't made the step to 3D.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fortunately most of the film types i enjoy haven't made the step to 3D.

Are you a snob like Kevevs and me then? 🙂

sputnik
    Free Member

I am not impressed with the 3D thing. For one, the colours look unnatural, so only works with n cartoon like Toy Story or a far out weird place like Pandora.
    3D this, 3D that, yawn… Give me 2D cinema any day.
    It is just like "How many blades can we fit into a razor?' mentality to marketing.

CountZero

How come Inception was 'shot for a 3D market' when there's no 3D version? Or do you mean huge slo-mo explosions that give an impression of 3D? That's what good cinematography should do, I thought Inception was a stunning film, the use of actual sets rather than CGI gave it a solidity that CGI can't equal, like the fights in the hotel corridor. I can understand why some didn't 'get it', but everyone in the packed cinema seemed to really enjoy it last Wednesday, so it wasn't just me.
    Some 3D works better than others; Bolt was a bit shonky, but Up was incredible, as was First Train Your Dragon and Monsters V Aliens. I have no issues with headaches, or wearing the glasses over glasses, although I usually wear contacts, but as some have pointed out, quite reasonably, there's an alternative 2D version, go see that, save a bit of money, and stop griping about it, and those who do enjoy 3D can do so as well. If you only had one option you might have a grievance, but you haven't.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

ow come Inception was 'shot for a 3D market' when there's no 3D version? Or do you mean huge slo-mo explosions that give an impression of 3D?

I an sure it will be released in 3d – could be entirely wrong but the angles all appeared to have 3d in mind.

And as I said in my post, I did enjoy it as a film – possibly one of my faves of recent time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One is entitled to both "get" Inception and to think it was a shonky piece of shite.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘3D Films’ is closed to new replies.