Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 3D cinema – how’s it work
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

Mrs MM and I just pulled up at the local Picturedrome on Saturday in a ‘see what’s on when we get there’ stylee.
    Ended up watching Bolt in 3D, bloody amazing it was too…
    Had a look our 3D glasses today, expecting to see different lens tints or similar as i’m old enough to recall the red and green lensed things we all bought in the 80’s for that awful 3D attempt on the telly… however, can’t see any visible difference in the lenses so, go on, put an old mans mid at ease.
    Cheers
    MM. forty and a quarter and still lovin cartoons…………

druidh
    Free Member

Polarization

marsdenman
    Free Member

tell me more – i’m familiar with polarisers from a photography perspective, trying to get my tiny mind how that would work in the cinema?

petrieboy

the polarised lenses on the left and right of the glasses correspond to polarised lenses on 2 projectors which project a left eye and left eye onto a screen (iirc the screen needs to have specific properties to reflect and maintain the polarisation) so each eye only sees polarised light from the correct projector

marsdenman
    Free Member

petrieboy – cheers – had thought that was what it would be but, somehow, could not put it in words.
    on the other hand, Mrs MM still insists its done by fairies with pixie dust………..

coffeeking
    Free Member

These bloody 3D things never work for me. I see in 3D normally, totally baffles me!

petrieboy

oh well i missed out the bit about the wee folk as i thought that much was obvious 😉

johnhoo
    Free Member

defo fairies

porterclough
    Free Member

If you cut the polarised glasses in half and place the two lenses over each other, you’ll see that by twisting one lens against the other you can make them go black, then clear again… (one lens polarises vertically, one horizontally). The movie is also projected twice using polarised light, with slightly different pictures, so without the glasses you see both images with both eyes, when you put them on you see different images in each eye.

Same principle as the red/blue glasses, but works much better and doesn’t affect the colour balance.

waynekerr
    Free Member

So what happens if you only have one eye? serious question.

alpin
    Free Member

then you are destined to have 1D vision, much like what we see now on tv and our computer screens…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘3D cinema – how’s it work’ is closed to new replies.