Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 3D baby scan …. Done it? Worth it?
  • stox
    Free Member

20 week scan due soon and now the Mrs is talking about having one of these 3D scans a little further down the road.

Who has had one done and what did you think? Is it worth the cash?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This question was asked a few months back iirc.

I think the general consensus is that it might be something you might like as prospective parents but it’s best kept to yourselves. 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yes it’s fantastic and not something that can be repeated. Do it

wrightyson
    Free Member

This somewhat surprised me in my email the other day 😯
    Groupon Scan

domino

We we’re happy that baby was healthy from the NHS 20 week scan and didn’t feel the need for 3D one, it’s personal choice. Whether the baby was healthy or not was all we wanted to know. I’ve seen other parents 3D scans, it’s funny how clear an image you get of baby and how like the father one particular image was but I never felt I’d missed out not having one.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Didn’t bother as we wanted a surprise but it was a tough decision!

peterich
    Free Member

did it for our first so we could try and tell the sex (didn’t work) anyway it was ok but its a bit weird when they move as it all sort of morphs about abit
    again agree its a personal thing so what the hell if the mrs wants it keep her happy maybe
    good luck for the future arival

bruneep

Just wait until it pops out, then you’ll have the proper 3D version. Waste of cash in my opinion

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Depends on how much you are going to pay. Prices have come down over the years.
    It is great as a first time Parent. I bet not many go back with their second though. Which is actually true as I asked a business owner.

One thing to bear in mind is the you can have is done in NHS or private. NHS has to walk a fine line as guidelines in simple terms say they should not extend the scans for non diagnostic reasons.
    Also private were cheaper last time I looked.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not sure whre you are located but I always liked the results http://www.babybrite.co.uk

obtained. Might be a long way to the Smog but I know a few others dotted about.

stox
    Free Member

We don’t want to know the sex of the baby so that wouldn’t be a reason we would be doing it.

If the mrs wants it then I’m inclined to go ahead with it but my perspective is that I don’t really want to see my baby’s face (in any kind of detail) until it’s born..
    It may sound daft to say this but I don’t want to picture our baby in my head before its born from what I see on the scan .. If that makes sense!

Or maybe i’m just thinking too much into it

stox
    Free Member

Not sure whre you are located but I always liked the results http://www.babybrite.co.uk
    obtained. Might be a long way to the Smog but I know a few others dotted about.

Funnily enough, We’re in Middlesbrough! Friends have used them so come recommended.
    It Seems James Cook hospital do them now too.

shifter
    Free Member

What Bruneep said. In another 20 odd weeks you’ll have more than enough 3D I promise you 😀

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If you are in Middlesborough Use Babyrite for sure. It will be a much nicer experience for the wife. And that is really all it is in the end.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can go to the Royal College of Surgeons Museum in London to see foetuses at all stages of pregnancy pickled in jars if your really that bothered. Other than that just wait for the day…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What do you plan to do with it?
    Remember most of your friends are just being polite when they look at the 2d one.

stox
    Free Member

Who has had one done and what did you think? Is it worth the cash?

What do you plan to do with it?
    Remember most of your friends are just being polite when they look at the 2d one.

It’s just for us to keep. No intention of thrusting it into the face of everybody we meet

superfli
    Free Member

waste of money IMO. Missus persuaded me to get one done – I thought they looked a bit freakish/alienish, but agreed. Went 3 times and didnt get a single photo. Cost us over £100. Just wait a few weeks and see the miracle.

kimbers

Open a saving account for the little un and put the money for the scan in that instead

Scans are OK but the real thing is infinately better, just be patient

leffeboy

short version: not a chance

long version:
    A long long time ago I used to design ultrasound scanners and i’m truly amazed by the quality of images available now, they’re incredible. My problem is that with all things medical there is a risk and the trade off is a real risk vs benefits thing. For medical scanning it’s clear, the ability to see a problem in advance outweighs the tiny risk of scanning. For ‘bonding’ reasons I wouldn’t want to take even the tiniest of risks. My now 20yr old book on medical radiology suggests that it takes several hours at 100mW/cm2 to produce a measurable effect on tissue. Current safe limits appear to be 30mins at 94mW/cm which is a best guess at safe levels (wikipedia). 20ys ago they said there has been no proven harmful effects in that preceding 25 years (although scans were rarer then of course). Those limits are way too close for my liking for something that isn’t necessary. For real diagnostic work they are just fine.

So, to summarise, there is a risk with every scan but it is tiny tiny tiny. However you still need to know that it is there. If you worry about WiFi and GSM signals this isn’t for you. We are all also making the assumption that someone has tested it and it is safe but that will have been done on a medical basis rather an amusement basis. I wouldn’t take the risk and now I’m off to make a tinfoil hat so the CIA don’t know what I’m thinking about Kylie

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We had a 3D scan and still watch the videos occasionally (our son’s 18 months old). It was incredible to see him moving around. We knew the sex from ~17 weeks. We’re as impatient as each other. Surprises are for losers! 😉 Although they did some measurements like femur, spine etc, it wasn’t a ‘proper’ medical scan. It was a private one emotional / sentimental reasons. I’m glad we did. I think it was at about 30 weeks and he looks like him; if you know what I mean. The good or bad news, depending on how you look it, is the cost of the scan is nothing compared to buggies, nappies, clothes, food, school fees etc! I say ‘YES!’

I don’t know if you’re talking about the scan for medical or personal reasons but we didn’t have a 20 week scan for birth defects. We’d decided that we would have our baby whatever was wrong (for want of a better word) with them so it didn’t matter. Patrick was born with a severe heart defect . Touch wood, it’s all repaired now, but pregnancy is tough enough without the extra stress of thinking about the future.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I thought it was a waste of money but as the last scan of the baby teadrinker was at 20 weeks and we still had 20 weeks to go missus teadrinker was paranoid and worried so booked one in just to reassure her everything was fine.

Image was ok but I can’t put a price on reassuring the missus so was happy to go. If your other half is a worrier like mine then I’d say go for it. Congratulations by the way 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Did it for the first not, stangely enough, for the second.

It’s alright, not much more for me.

I got more excited at the sound of her little heart pumping away ten to the dozen, during one of the NHS scans.

But … I’ve said it once I’ll say it again

Do not argue with a pregant lady

If she wants it, do it.

crankboy
    Free Member

We didnt go for it but had a normal extra scan done privately when the wife was worried one day . Worth the cash for the reassurance . Due to the assisted nature of conception we had a very early scan when essentially crankbrat appeared as a lighthouse like flashing light as he was a bean with a heart beat , first time i had cried in years.

Wether you get the scan or not is entirely a matter for the two of you and if she wants it do it (this by the way is now your mantra for the foreseeable future.)

Me I say don’t bother you will have the real thing soon enough.

cr500dom
    Free Member

For our 1st child, we had one as we were both “Older Parents” and wanted the triple test (to check for downs syndrome) which wasn’t available on the NHS at the time.

It was a worrying time, but the scan itself was wonderful. the measurements taken reduced the probability of anything being wrong and the 1 to 1 with the doctor who performed the scan was great and a huge contrast to the standard NHS Scan we had at 20 weeks.
    The 20 week scan was just in and out with no dialogue, nothing, very disappointing really for 2 excited parents.

For No2 we paid for another 3D scan locally but not at the hospital.

I`d say do it, it was wonderful to really see our daughter and made the whole thing somehow more “real”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘3D baby scan …. Done it? Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.