• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 36T cassette?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got XTR from 2007, will I be able to fit a 12-36T cassette?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

???? Road bike? Maybe some more detials

molgrips
    Free Member

MTB, XTR rear mech and shifters, 9 speed

Any more details?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

XTR what? Hub? 9-10-11sp? Fitting too? why wouldn’t it work? Seems like there is more complexity to the question unless it’s can I fit a mtb cassette to a mtb hub, then then answer is yes

D0NK

What more details do you want?

what xtr parts you have, what 12-36 cassette you want to fit…?

with a long cage mech (or shorter if you’re running 2x or 1x) yeah I reckon you could shoehorn a 9spd 12-36 cassette into a full xtr system.

bikeneil
    Free Member

2007? How does that thing even work? I’d just get a new bike :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the rear mech I am thinking about. The published max capacity is 34T, but in those days that was the biggest they made. 12-36T are now available in 9sp, for 29ers (from shimano), and I was wondering if anyone had an experience of fitting such a thing with an older mech.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Is the question:-

I have a 2007 xtr groupset, will it work with a 12-36 cassette?

Answer:- Assuming both are 9 speed then I don’t see why not.

jonathan
    Free Member

M972 mech?

I strongly suspect it would be fine – it’s only just beyond the published 34t max. Shifting might not be as sharp if you have to wind the b-tension out a lot, but it should still work. Seen 36t work on other Shimano mechs of same vintage with supposed 34t max

almightydutch
    Free Member

My garage landlord’s old bike had M952 XTR and couldn’t use a 36T due to B screw not being long enough, we put a longer one in and it bent the B screw hanger as the angle onto the mech hanger got too much for the B screw hanger to take.

Northwind

It’ll probably work- Shimano claimed 9 speed was 34T max and that anything else needed 10-speed, then instantly changed their minds when they had a 36T 9-speed thing to sell, because sales. But jiggerypokery might be required.

What do you want it to do? It’s a heavy brick of a cassette, and has narrower ratios than an 11-34 so it’s only really useful if you plan to replace the 11, or you need lower gearing than your setup can otherwise manage. Which usually means tourer, cargo bike, etc because 34-22 is pretty dang low even with the bigger wheels 36 isn’t gamechangingly less most of the time

(I built a 1×9 11-36 with the 12-36 cassette, an 11t off another cassette, and I think an XT 9-speed from about 2009, worked OK but all a bit of an exercise in pointlessness really and needed some machining to work)

munrobiker
    Free Member

If it’s a shadow mech then it will work, if not then it doesn’t without some modification. We had a go at it in the shop I worked in and it only worked properly with a Shadow mech on- without it wouldn’t shift back from the 36t because it didn’t have the capacity and the jockey wheels don’t seem to be in the right place.

D0NK

The published max capacity is 34T

same as the 9spd slx mech I have on my cx bike, works fine with a 10spd* 11-36 cassette, no silly amount of b tension screwage needed either

*10spd road sti + 9spd mech +10spd cassette works.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That works because SLX mechs are shadow.

D0NK

That works because SLX mechs are shadow.

good point – well mine is, I reckon a standard would go on, sounds like you have more experience tho.
    (SLX is getting a little tired, will be switching soon to probably a none shadow so I’ll see how it goes)

Northwind

Ah, I hadn’t even thought it might be pre-shadow, sorry mol- my first bit might be wrong too

njee20
    Free Member

2007 would be pre-shadow, but there was a later M972 shadow mech from the same series, that is the pivotal piece of info.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I’m glad I forgot to check back here before popping to the bike shop because it does work fine, with loads of room to spare. I didn’t even adjust the b tension screw. It’s non-shadow btw, this was before shadow came out. It’s the first one with the X design on it.

What do you want it to do?

Well when I build this 29er I swapped the kit over from my 26er and I noticed that bottom gear wasn’t all that low any more, but more annoyingly I was hardly ever using the big ring except on descents, as the gears were way too tall unless I used a sharp chainline. So when I saw these 12-36 I though that would be ideal.

BUT

I thought my old cassette was 11-34 and I didn’t check.. must’ve been 11-30 because 36 looks absolutely huge and 22-36 is stupidly low. Feels ridiculous tbh although the big ring feels more like it should. Still, it was only £20, and it’ll come in handy towards the end of the Trans Cambria way I’m sure 🙂

It did get me wondering about 1×9 but 32/12 isn’t that tall really, I’d be spinning out on road as soon as it went downhill a bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I’m glad I forgot to check back here before popping to the bike shop because it does work fine, with loads of room to spare. I didn’t even adjust the b tension screw.

So you could just have done the 10 min job then asked if it didn’t work 😉 some people

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but I’d have already bought it by that point. I should’ve checked the thread, forgot, and realised I was taking a risk.. but then I got lucky.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lerk
    Free Member

On my CX bike with Shimano 2300 mech (whatever that equates to) I fitted a 32T when the supposed max was 28T… I’m pretty sure that wasn’t shadow!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘36T cassette?’ is closed to new replies.