Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 36/22?
  • ads678

I’m corruntly running a 36/26 double up front but, as i’m woefully out of shape, I was gonna fit a 22t granny.

Will this work with the 36t or will the jump be too big?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a big jump when downshifting under load on a climb.

It will work but it’s just not that useable and you have to use the front mech more thoughtfully/in a different manner.

EDIT: I have it on two bikes and am happy enough to keep it until all my 9sp stuff is worn out

ads678

Cheers. I’ll give it a go but maybe i should stick with the 26t and get fit!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wors

Works fine on my bike.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I think the double and bash SLX is 36/22. It shifts fine, but is a big jump down. I just dump it down to the granny on a big or steep climb and twiddle away.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have that on my bikes. Waht you need to do is use 1-5 in granny and all in the 36 – so at the bottom of any climb where you might need granny shift down on the front and up on the back – then use the whole range of rear gears in the granny ring.

Sort of like a low ratio box in a landrover

Its perfectly usuable. You can never have too low a gear

ads678

cool, deff gonna give it a go then.

specializedneeds

Depending on what 36t ring you have, shifting up from a 22t granny may not be as smooth as with a 36t SLX ring, for example. Your 36t may have ramps designed to pick up from say a 26t or 24t inner, whereas SLX 36t is designed to work with a 22t inner ring. How much difference it makes in the real world I don’t know, but if you like the 36/22 combo you might go for an SLX 36t or equivalent come replacement time.

D0NK

36/22 with an 11-32 cassette.
    It is a big jump but the TA ring I have aint bad. 36×32 isn’t as low as I’d like so I end up dropping into granny ring a lot more often than I used to.
    Bigger cassette or a 34T ring might be better.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Have had an SLX 36/22 double and bash with 11/34 at the back for a couple of years. Absolutely no problem at all

chunkypaul
    Free Member

woefully unfit was well but manage just fine on a FS with 36/24

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 bikes running a doubles 36/22 and 34/22 – the 34 has slightly better shifting from the 22 but it has XT whereas the 36 has SLX. Not ever been an issue though.

ads678

I don’t want to change the 36t but could do with some lower gears. ATM i’m usinig a Deore crankset that was originally a 26/36/48, but i dropped the big ring and fitted a bash. I fancy upgrading to an SLX in future anyway so may aswell get used to it now.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I use 22/36 with no issues whatsoever.

Stuey01
    Free Member

You won’t need to change the 36T ring. On another bike I had an LX chainset, went to double and bash and just lobbed a 36T Deore middle on it, no discernible difference between that and the SLX 36T ring.

ads678

Nice one, cheers for the replies.

Northwind

Works perfectly, and Shimano sell it as a standard option on some cranks.

edhornby

cheapie deore rings are made of steel and last longer than the flashy alloy XT ones, slightly heavier but very little in the grand scheme of things

bigyinn
    Free Member

Those who switched from triples, how has it affected your DH speed ditching your big ring?

Northwind

bigyinn – Member

Those who switched from triples, how has it affected your DH speed ditching your big ring?

Only on tarmac or fireroads does it make a difference to me… You lose only the top 3 ratios, compared to a 44T, remember. By the time i’m going that fast on any interesting surface, I’ve got no thought in my head about speeding up, it’s all about slowing down 😉 There’s times I have to spin faster than I used to though, before i could slow mash a higher gear. But that’s no problem.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can spin a 36 /11 top gear to 30 mph – 25 easily. I find offroad I rarely want to pedal faster than that. IIRC its only the top 2 gears you loose

bigyinn
    Free Member

Currently running 46t and cant decide whether to keep 46t, to drop to a 44t, or ditch the big ring altogether.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘36/22?’ is closed to new replies.