Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 36 Van's on Bfe
  • skiboy
    Free Member

Anyone got a bfe with 160mm vans or similar ?,

would like to buy some for my soon to be arriving Bfe 2010 but dont want go uphill like a drunk man hanging off the rear of a very upset not wanting to be roggered kd lang…

don't want to go 36 Talas as i like the fit and forget that comes with the Vanilla…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Got u-turn Lyrics on mine.

Awesome downhill, and OK on moderate ups at full length, but I do like to wind them down for proper steep climbs. (although compared to my Soda it's still a bit of a beast)

skiboy
    Free Member

:?but do you think it will be too much going up ?, i do like my climbs ?

i have a soul with 130mm 32 van's on it and i sometimes bounce around on that !,

only thing is my heart wants the 36 vans so bad for the bfe,,i dont mind a bit of nodding but if its all over the place i may get upset !!!

titusrider
    Free Member

they are fantastic forks, just go for it you will not regret!

Ed-O
    Free Member

BFe climbs pretty good with 160mm fork IME. I rode one in the Lakes in the summer and left the Talas 36 at 160mm most of the time. Will wander on steeper climbs as stated above. With no headset spacers under the stem and a wide flat bar you should be fine. I think it's something that is easy enough to adapt to. Elbows down, thumbs on top!

skiboy
    Free Member

right thats it, i gunna buy them, my mate had Talas 36's and even though i thought they looked and rode amazing, i just cant be doing with all that pump and stuff,

i said i wouldn't spend too much on this build but never mind eh…yummy yummy 36mm yummy yummy..

only thing is i missed the 20% off @stif last weekend, so a bit of loitering around for a repeat on the price me thinks..

thanks for the advice gents

GavinB

I guess it will depend largely on your fit for the frame, but with Wotans on mine and a 60mm stem I find it pretty average for steep climbs. Winding them down helps, but its still a short set up, so its hard to get a huge fore-aft weight shift going for techy bits.

titusrider
    Free Member

i must say though as good as the vans are if youre gonne be riding uphill id have the floats to keep the weight down- but then they are even more insane money though

JonEdwards
    Free Member

If you've got a Soul as well, then you can keep that for doing the rides with monster climbs on and keep the BFe for what it's best at – thrashing down steep rocky stuff with a monster grin on your face!

skiboy
    Free Member

i intend on keeping the soul, the bfe was supossed to be a low budget hack bike for the woods, but as a thompson stem was the first part i brought it sort of set the bar a bit high.. 😉

happened with the soul too, low budget, brought an xtr chainset and floating hope m2's and it sort of went pear shaped from there !!!!

Note:
    take budget and chuck out window

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘36 Van's on Bfe’ is closed to new replies.