Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 36 ring for road bike -is it possible??
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted a 36 tooth rear cassette to a road bike? My bike has sram red on at the moment and i am not getting enough rides in to build up any fitness – only used it 3 times this year 🙁 got a few big rides coming up and am seriously considering fitting as big a ring as possible. I know sram do the wifli kit with the 32 tooth ring, but is this as easy a gear that can be fitted?

jmenorton
    Free Member

Ive got 11-36 on road/cx bike (in touring mode), although mines shimano, 105 10 speed shifters and XT 9 speed Derailleur. Any bigger than a 32 and i think your looking a derailleur change.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Am expecting to change mech, chain and cassette

Haze

I’m only (a little bit familiar) with Shimano and have read of MTB cassettes being fitted, depends on rear derailleur capacity I believe.

Not sure if SRAM works on similar principles…

seanbolton
    Free Member

You probably need a longer cage rear derailleur. Also look at changing your chainrings. You can at least get down to 33 on a compact 110BCD chainset, possibly smaller.

Sean

federalski
    Free Member

Are there not new longer cage either Apex or Rival rear mech’s that a 34 or 36 can be fitted ?

fisha
    Free Member

If it were a shimano 10spd road setup with shimano STI levers:

A 10spd MTB cassette would fit onto a 10spd road wheel no problem ( i.e. 10spd XT stuff )
    You would need a normal or shadow style 9 speed mtb rear mech to reach across a 32t mtb cassette.
    You would need a shadow style 9 speed mtb rear mech to reach a 36t mtb cassette.
    A 10spd rear mech has a different cable pull ratio and would not work with the 10spd STI

I have a 32t XT cassette with an XTR rear mech and 10spd Dura Ace shifters. Works very well.

I think SRAM has a different cable pull ratio, so the shimano rear mechs are out of the questions. I think the Apex range can accommodate 36t cassettes. I think Apex rear mechs have a longer cage anyhow so that may not be an issue.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

yes you can fit a longer cage mtb mech all mech/shifters can be inter mixed. all work on the same pull.

nick1962
    Free Member

Big road rides needing a 36 tooth rear cassette 😯
    Where ?
    What’s your chainset? If it’s a compact 50/34 then do you really think you need a 36 rear? If you’re unfit I can’t see how that can help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘36 ring for road bike -is it possible??’ is closed to new replies.