Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 35mm bars/stems
  • matther01
    Free Member

I’ve been reading up a bit on the Easton and RF 35mm stuff, but wondered if anyone has any real world experience of them?

Are they any noticeably better than 31.8 (especially the carbon bars)?

benpinnick

Yes I have ridden them. Alloy is lighter but can be a bit brutal in all but the lightest bars (EG Turbine). Carbon is awesome and the new shape of the Sixc / Next is mint.

Andy

Gah another new standard that can just foxtrot oscar IMO 🙁

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’ve got the Easton carbon ones on my single speed – they are certainly stiffer than my previous bars when yanking on them going up climbs. I’ve got the Race Face carbon ones on my FS bike as I wanted a slightly higher rise. Both still at 800mm, although I thought I’d cut them down, I never bothered.

Both sets are nice and light, look well made and I can’s say I’ve felt that they are harsh as some reviews have noted. The only problem is that my light bracket doesn’t fit!

tomhoward

Got the RF sixc (trimmed to 760mm) on my Nomad, can’t say they feel any stiffer (or, tbh, any different at all, material wise) than the Easton havoc 750mm (31.6) on the solo. Not sure if there’s a weight difference, but if there is, it won’t be much.

Both feel loooads nicer than Alu bars though 😀

orangeboy
    Free Member

Had some Easton 35 carbons for about 18 months
    Was a pain with fittings other things to them to start with but that’s getting better now

USE now do a 35 mount for there lights

cakefacesmallblock

Placebo !

Ok . so I can’t remember what they were, but I’m sure I had 100 mph two stroke motorbikes in the very late 70s with bars less fat than that !

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ok . so I can’t remember what they were, but I’m sure I had 100 mph two stroke motorbikes in the very late 70s with bars less fat than that !

Two strokes in the 70s also handled like dog shit. :mrgreen:

Although I reckon 35mm is a bit pointless, looks cool though. Maybe for carbon bars it’s good as it might spreads load at the stem interface better by having a bigger diameter, but then again the walls will be thinner as well.

rsl1
    Free Member

Easton Haven stem looks identical to Raceface Turbine to me. Maybe Easton will take up the slack if people lose confidence in RF after the recent turbine recalls.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Had some Easton Havoc 35s that were poker stiff but the new 750mm Easton Havens feel lovely. Light, strong, and a nice gentle bit of hand and wrist saving flex/shock absorbency.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I remember when we all used to ride 25.4mm
    how the hell did we manage?

pigyn
    Free Member

We put braces on to stop them snapping 🙂

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/johnbpowley/003-17.jpg

ndthornton
    Free Member

Oh yeah I forgot about them

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve had my 35mm Easton Havoc stem and 800mm carbon bar combo for nearly 2 years now. The added stiffness was noticeable right away but I don’t know how much of that was down to the bigger diameter of the clamp, or if it was just the carbon Havocs as they are super stiff.

toons
    Free Member

Sorry for the spam; i’ve got a Easton 35 50mm Havoc stem in the classifieds.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I have a bit of an issue with my 35mm Six C bars, tightened to the 8nm stamped onto the atlas 35mm stem with a torque wrench that is accurate and the stem has made a mess of the bars, put big indents into the carbon. The torque wrench is accurate and I evenly tightened them, Im surprised that they need 8nm. Anyone else got these and what nm did you use? Might be worth checking if like me you used what was suggested on the stem… not quite sure where I stand with them now.

chiefgrooveguru

4-5Nm is normal for carbon bars, 8Nm seems very high. Google suggests that Raceface have failed to put the torque values on the bar so you’d expect the instructions on their matching stem to be correct! Warranty claim?

honourablegeorge

rsl1 – Member
    Easton Haven stem looks identical to Raceface Turbine to me. Maybe Easton will take up the slack if people lose confidence in RF after the recent turbine recalls.

They’re the same company nowadays

cookeaa

TBH I thought the 35mm “Standard” had sort of died back due to a lack of wider adoption (launched a couple of years ago now wasn’t it?), didn’t most people/OEMs just stick to 31.8mm bars and stems because they’re more than adequate?

I think it would be great to try and assemble a bike using as many “Dead end” standards as possible: 35mm bars, 1.5″ un-tapered steerer, ISIS overdrive BB/cranks, some silly axle sizes perhaps?
    It would be great like a sort of showcase for the close, but not quite as good ideas the industry has had over the years… 🙂

honourablegeorge

cookeaa – Member
    TBH I thought the 35mm “Standard” had sort of died back due to a lack of wider adoption (launched a couple of years ago now wasn’t it?), didn’t most people/OEMs just stick to 31.8mm bars and stems because they’re more than adequate?

Chromag, DMR, RaceFace/Easton all doing it now.

But folks like Enve, Renthal and Deity are making bars just as light and wide in 31.8

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘35mm bars/stems’ is closed to new replies.