Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 35mm bars and stems
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Snake oil biz-niss? Or real world uh-mazing?

(Similar vain to the boost / non-boost thread I suppose?)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have some on a bike. I can’t tell the difference.

Totally pointless, IMO. I would have just used my old stuff if I didn’t get a specific stem setup I need for my bike to work properly.

prezet
    Free Member

Depends. I’m running a 35mm stem with 35mm bars. The short stem has worked brilliantly on my large Scout to speed up the steering. As for 35mm bars, same length as my older bars but lighter – what’s not to like?

chiefgrooveguru

Pointless. Marginal weight saving on an alloy bar almost offset by the extra stem weight. Extra stiffness rarely wanted on bars. Can’t run quite as short a stem as with 31.8mm.

On the plus side I got some very nice SixC Carbon 800mm 35mm bars for no extra cost on my Bird hardtail, presumably due to the new standard not being that popular, so one of my bikes is on the 35mm standard with Raceface parts. Inconvenient not being able to swap stems/bars between bikes though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not used them, but I’m struggling to see see the point. The last thing i want is stiffer bars and I’ve not had or seen loads of wider 31.8 bars fail.

I’ve had a few bars over the last year or so and some were just way to stiff – my SixC’s were the worst offender; even in skinny 31.8mm diameter, they battered the hell out of my hands.

I swapped for Spank Vibrores which were better but were an off shape despite being the same shape as my preferred Answer bars on paper.

I’m back on Answer Pro Taper’s now. The big thing that I think that makes them relatively comfy to the others is that they’re skinny. They taper down from the clamp bulge relatively quickly which means that there’s an element of flex.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Confuses me. I have a 35mm long stem and I always assume that’s what people are referring to.

core

Noooo, 35mm bar diameter

rhid

I have some on my Dh bike and I’m not really sure if I can tell the difference between them and the 31.8 bars I had previously and the ones on my trail bike.

clubby

Can’t tell the difference, but not worth getting worked up about either. Came on a complete build, so made absolutely no difference to me whether it was 31.8 or 35.
    Only an “issue” if you’re a serial part swapper.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Noooo, 35mm bar diameter

😆

I know. But I have to – stop! – and recalibrate my brain when 35mm is mentioned in a diameter context.

😳

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have some on my hardtail and compared to the 31.8mm ones on my old hardtail they’re uncomfortable- they’re just way too stiff. I can’t see the benefit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘35mm bars and stems’ is closed to new replies.