Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 3.5k for an AM/Enduro build
  • mojo5pro
    Free Member

loving geetee’s nicolai 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

anyone heard an awful lots on the Canfield ‘the One’

Someone else on here asked about a Canfield Can Diggle just recently. I’ve only ever come across one other person riding a Canfield and that was a ‘The One’. It was a Brit I shared a chalet with in Morzine a few years back. He’d got it to replace his DH and trail bike, hoping it would be ‘the one’ bike he needed for everything. It was lovely, but they come up quite small for their size.

He took a little while adjusting to it. I think he was trying to ride it like a DH bike and it became apparent that it wasn’t that but it wasn’t too far off. I’m only basing my opinion on what I saw and what he told me as I didn’t ride it, but I got the sense that it was right at the cusp of what could be built up as a trail bike.

I was going to say it falls into the same grouping as say the Knolly Chilcotin, Nicolai Ion 18 or what was teh Helius FR and the Last Herb; very capable but very heavy for a trail bike, but actually a bit of research shows that the frame without shock is only 2.8kg, which is silly light.

Sickline full review of Canfield The One

Of course the weight of any bike will depend on how you build it; ultimately the 30lbs I’ve got my AM to is because I’ve gone silly on the build kit and am running it 1×10. The AM is still 3.1kg without shock, which makes it almost as heavy as say an Intense Socom was!

The other bike to consider is either the Liteville 301 or 601. These are also very light for their intended use and are now being brought in by Evolution Imports (Bromely Bike Co.) They are German made, relatively good value, extremely well designed with attention to detail you wouldn’t believe (spare mech hanger built into the frame for example!)

iain1775
    Free Member

You won’t fit a CCDB shock on a Commencal AM or SX

deanfbm
    Free Member

I was opening the thread expecting another xc rider thinking they were needing an all mountain bike, then saw you are actually going to to do some proper DH riding, hurrah :wink:.

SB66 is awesome, i love mine. Give back what you put in. What i mean is, if you’re pootling around, i aint interested, a bit harsh, makes it good for smoother, rolling terrain where you want to pump and wheelie, get some air time, but slow speed bump tech, it’s firm. Open up, on rough stuff, it flies, the suspension opens up and irradiates much bigger bumps than i would expect a 6″ bike to. It handles free gnar with impeccable control too, ive hit 20ft doubles and rode gaps on mine without it flinching. I had to install air can spacers
    to make the shock more progressive, but a coil would make it even better for big hits and take off some of that initial harshness.

Motivation – (not me)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68xCCZOt3_8[/video]

Meta SX is so sexy too –

geetee1972
    Free Member

Awesome old school track in that video Dean. I’m guessing it’s in France but it could be the UK. It’s one of those tracks that just gets better and better the faster you ride it, I guess like the SB66!

dantsw13

How about a top of the range Canyon Strive or Nerve AL+?

tpbiker
    Free Member

as much as I’m not a fan of instantly suggesting a YT or Canyon based on cost alone, if I had that kind of money for a new bike I’d seriously consider the top of the range Canyon Strive. Full XX1 and you’ll have 300 quid left over to fund your new cassette when it wears out in 6 months time.

Looks nice as well IMO

b45her
    Free Member

strive’s are awesome, easily the best all round bike i’ve had to date.

spankthat
    Free Member

that video really does help the sb-66 case. so far the top of the list still seems to be the banshee rune v2.

Is it fact that the commencal sx wont fit a CCDBA??

b45her
    Free Member

i’d say its a very strong possibility due to the rather dubious placement of the meta’s shock.

banks
    Free Member

Covert – does everything on the list! Plus it awesome!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I’m gonna have to say the Alpine 160. Probably biased as i own one, but they are amazing when the trail points down and they arent too shabby on the climbs either. It is possible to build it around the 30lb mark also with that budget.

zangolin
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega AM 2013 frame.
    With either Monarch Plus or for a little bit more money the CCDB coil.
    Not sure why someone said the 2013 Mega frames don’t take a piggy back shock – both the TR and AM will.

duir
    Free Member

Don’t be too hard on Banshee as most manufacturers have problems with V1’s of their bikes (Nukeproof Mega comes to mind, loose headsets and snapping chainstays). Freeborn would not recommend them anymore as they had to do loads of warranty replacements on them.

Keith the designer has gone away and redesigned them to run on bearings so I would imagine the new Rune and Spitfire V2 will both be superb bikes. There is a new distributor for the UK so should make things much better.

For the Alps, I would say the Rune V2’s geometry (65-65.5-66 degree ha and low b/b)and robustness should make it top of your list for a 160mm bike as it has a Cane Creek DB air as a shock option , if you can get hold of one that is!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As the owner of a Pitch I think I have to put a good word in for the Enduro.

Mine’s flipping ACE!

jamj1974

Edward2000 that Tracer2 looks very nice indeed!

jamj1974

DeanFBM, great video you’ve found there – short but sweet!

ive hit 20ft doubles and rode gaps on mine without it flinching.

I wish I could do that!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be worry about whether a bike is CCDB Air compatible, as due to varying suspension designs some of them won’t be suitable for it at all, specifically anything with a progressive curve you will struggle to get full travel from with the CCDBA.

It’s designed to work on suspension design the coil doesn’t work with.

I like the very current on trend style of AM bike, long TT, low standover, low BB & slack HA with a decent sized fork on it, as it suits the DH rider in me. The new Commencal’s fit the bill very well, the only downside being the frame is heavy. SB66 is very similar in numbers too.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Liteville 301. Test rode one today – very very impressed.

Pity I can’t afford one. 🙁

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEOOauBcxo[/video]

The choices are endless, but steel is real!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

specifically anything with a progressive curve you will struggle to get full travel from with the CCDBA.

Doesn’t that mean about 99% of all bikes currently on the market?

In fact, the only bikes I’ve heard of having a regressive ratio is the Orange Five.

I also think that if the mechanical leverage has been designed around an air can, then to compensate for the inherently progressive nature of the air apring, the mechanical leverage should be more progressive, thus fitting a coil to a bike with an air spring in mind would need more HSC to compensate for the linearity of a coil.

Have I got this right or am I way off?

crush83
    Free Member

Another vote for the “knolly chilcotin”

spankthat
    Free Member

hi guys, just as an update, due to some restrictions of what brands im actually allowed through the bike shop handling the insurance claim, i have settled on my first choice of the 2013 Banshee Rune V2 with CCDBA. managed to get one 20% cheaper thatn RRP and delivered 2 months before they are actually available in the UK.. its all about who you know these days =].

thanks for all the input everyone had put in. pics are to follow in the ext couple of weeks, keep your eyes peeled.

SPANK_that

Tracey

Dont know if its gone but there was a SWorks carbon Enduro frame in the classifieds a few days ag at a silly price

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-specialized-enduro-s-works-2011-frameset

or a bit less travel

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-SWorks-Stumpjumper-FSR-Carbon-Frame-2199-92-0.html

toys19
    Free Member

C.O.V.E.R.T

Rik
    Free Member

Geetee – what the weight of your Nicolai build?

Duane…
    Free Member
    cubemeup
    Free Member

Frame build would have to be the sb66 but check out the nomad failing that have a look at the bronson

Stevelol
    Free Member

Check the age of the thread fellas…

maurizio
    Free Member

^ 😆 on a side note – spank how do the bos handle on your transam (i’m looking at getting the samep

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘3.5k for an AM/Enduro build’ is closed to new replies.