Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 355 or 717? Hope built
  • nedrapier

Dearest Forum,

I need a new front wheel to go with new fork – 20mm TA

Winstanleys are selling both of these at the same price. I'm interested in tubeless, but for the moment, I've just bought Kenda SB8s which apparently aren't the best for taking into the ghetto, so I'd be tubing them up some.

So, onto the questions:

– Any issues putting tubes in 355s?

– Is there much of a difference between 717s and 355?

– Should I consider going a bit beefier (719?) to make the most of the stiffness of the Reba Maxles?

Cheers all!

gingerflash

my experience of 717s is that they're fine for decent volume tyres. I have 2.4 contis at 25-28 psi on mine with no problems.

Quite a tough rim for the weight. Don't know of any criticism of them to be honest.

RealMan
    Free Member

Its fine putting tubes into 355s, and I think theyre lighter (355g) compared to 717s (???g)

zangolin
    Free Member

+1 for 355 Flows with tubes. Only a little heavier than 717s. 355s will handle wide tyres much better. They are wide + low so should reduce the chance of pinch flats.

Very pleased with my Hope Flows – price is great value. I like to build my own wheels but Hope's price is a large amount less than building your own Flows.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

355 aren't flows, they're 2 different rims. having said that unless you're a big air merchant or on the heavy side the 355 is plenty strong. I've been ragging my 355's on Pro3s all year and at 83kg not done any damage to them, I like a little air under my wheels also.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I have 355s with stans yellow tape and you can safely run non ust tyres tubless, with stans sealant. + they're very strong and light

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

I have both wheelsets built on DT Swiss 240s hubs, I would recommend Stans 355 rims if there was a choice if going tubeless in future (only way to go). But 717 rims are great too.

nedrapier

Reet, that'll do!

355 it is then!

I think Winstanleys quote 763g for hope 2 on 355, 788g for hope 2 on 717. Not bothered by that myself, but something other than Mavic is good, just to make a change, and possibility of tubeless definitely seals (!) it.

And well done everyone for resisting the "difference between 717 and 355 is 362" gag. Impressive restraint!

nuke

Just another vote for 355…same size internally as a 719 but lighter. Been riding my 355 on the front of my Prince Albert (Pike fork and High Roller 2.35 with inner tube) all summer and its stayed perfectly true. Got mine from Wheelpro and Roger reassured it would be fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘355 or 717? Hope built’ is closed to new replies.