Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • £3500 budget, what first car for a 17 yr old new (female) driver?
  • rockhopper70

Eldest daughter, a few months off yet and she wants a 10yr old micra, so the low expectation suits me fine!
    Just wondered what the car of choice or recommendation of the STW would be.
    Low insurance group, low fuel consumption are primary factors.
    Or, would you just throw the money at one of those, “just add fuel” deals that the likes of Peugeot do.
    They come with free insurance for 18yo so that might save a hefty amount, offset against the depreciation/lease costs.

CountZero

That’s the budget for the insurance, right?
    I’ve seen those free insurance for 18yo drivers deals, and I’ve wondered how/where they’re absorbing the cost of the premiums, because just on its own the premium costs are eye-watering,
    An old Micra might be a good option, it’ll be worth looking at a bunch of insurance quotes, and seeing how the cheapest works out per month, compared to the lease costs, while avoiding the option to spread the cost over twelve months, ‘cos they always cost more doing it that way.
    I never paid more than £500 for a car, until I bought my Puma in 2001, and I’d been driving since the late 70’s, so the Micra could be the most viable, plus there’ll be fewer worries about knocks and dings, those have already happened.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I went the second hand route and ended up with a 2007 Toyota Aygo. Car choice came down to insurance cost.

Cheapest cars I could find to insure were Kia Picanto, Aygo, Citroen C1 – all around the £1500 mark once she passed. I did see a cheap Skoda Fabia which looked ideal, but would have been £3400 to insure!!! So get quotes first!

On the other hand ‘free insurance’ deals with lease cars can be equally cost effective just because insurance is so damn expensive!

redstripe
    Free Member

Usual tradition of recommending what you know – one of our kids has a 2006 Toyota Aygo too which is one of the lowest insurance groups, £20 pa tax and really economical. Was worrried it wouldn’t be as reliable as normal Toyotas as it’s a joint venture with PSA group but seems fine so far, it’s nice to drive and feels pretty nippy for a 1 litre engine. Can be had for a lot less than your budget too, paid a grand with years MOT, and great if she’s not fussed about street cred etc.

bails

She will almost certainly scrape it, so I’d go second hand.

I hired a Picanto on holiday and it was terrible, the slowest, most asthmatic thing I’ve ever driven. I used to have a 106, my gf had a 107 and now a Fiat 500 and all three of those feel loads more driveable than the Picanto, despite not having much/any more power on paper. But that might be what the OP wants. 107/Aygo/C1 is worth a look though.

Worth looking at slightly bigger cars too, apparently, as they’re not the typical ‘first car’ so don’t have the associated claims, they tend to have higher safety ratings too.

br
    Free Member

My three (in order of seniority) got a Ford Ka Sport, Fiat Punto 5dr and a Honda Civic 1.6 Sport.

All three cars cost less than the insurance…

There isn’t a lot of difference between low insurance cars and higher ones (in percentage terms), so don’t over pay for ‘low insurance’ cars.

And it goes without saying, but it’s all about the location – youngest (rural Scotland) pays the same as the eldest (urban West Yorkshire) even though he’s been driving 4 years more.

rockhopper70

I’ve looked at insurance and with a back box, for a micra, it’s around £1400.
    Yes, a lot but hopefully after year one she might start gaining some NCD.

drslow
    Free Member

Got my daughter and step-daughter cars when they passed at 17. car budget was £3k-£3.5k with insurance £1k-£1.5k

One chose a 2010 Ford Ka, 30k miles, 1.0 engine, insurance year 1, black box from insurethecar.com = £1050, year 2 (no claims) -£550 on our admiral multi car

The other chose Renault Clio 1.2, 45k miles, year 1 = £1100 with Morethan black box policy, year 2=£600 on our admiral multi car (no claims).

What we found was you really need to shop around and black box makes a difference. Keep the engine size small and dont buy new. We expect to be able to sell them next year for £1k.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yaris, thats what we got my kids. The car no longer has a panel without a dent after 3 of them had it over 10 years. Still going strong though

oldnpastit

A safe one.

She will almost certainly scrape it, so I’d go second hand.

FTFY.

orangespyderman

A Jeffsy CF One or CF Pro. 8)

votchy
    Free Member

Look for cars that are less common, my son quoted over £1500 for 1l Vauxhall Corsa, ended up with Citroen C2 Code, same engine as VTR but insurance £1100. Insurance quotes are based on statistics, there are less than 3500 C2 Codes registered in the UK therefore statistically low risk, other examples were Golf GTi £16k to insure, Alfa Romeo with higher performance was £1600!! It seems the insurance is based on how many claims are made vs that vehicle more so than the performance of the car.

sbob
    Free Member

votchy – Member

Look for cars that are less common

V8 MX-5? 😀

timba
    Free Member

998cc Picanto here
    After 2009 new NCAP rating scheme applies
    After 2012 will have more safety features as standard, e.g. TPMS, due to EU legislation

stevemorg2

9 year old VW fox with £45k on the clock cost me £2400 for my son – ingenue insurance (full comp with a black box fitted) was £800 as a learner, then an extra £140 after he passed his test

timba
    Free Member

Direct Line don’t change the premium after the driving test is passed

jekkyl

Vw polo or golf

ferrals
    Free Member

We just sold our 12 year old polo 1.2L to a first driver for £500, think her dad said insurance would be £1.5k. It’s an ideal first car IMO, fairly solid for a small car, reliable and not too gutsy

olly2097
    Free Member

Fiesta 1.0 popular.

40bhp.
    One wing mirror.
    4 gears.

What’s not to like.

cranberry
    Free Member

it was terrible, the slowest, most asthmatic thing I’ve ever driven

Not such a bad thing for a young driver.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s the budget for the insurance, right?
    I’ve seen those free insurance for 18yo drivers deals, and I’ve wondered how/where they’re absorbing the cost of the premiums, because just on its own the premium costs are eye-watering,

Bought our son a new suzuki swift 1.2l in November, insurance was a reasonable £739, no black box.

steve-g
    Free Member

Mrs-g is about to pass her test so we have been looking at what cheap, small car we could get on the assumption it may well take a few dents and I like the look of the “new” Minis.

They have been around for 15 odd years now so you can grab an old one for 1500-2k, the design hasn’t really changed much in that time so they don’t look obviously out of date in the way an old fiesta or whatever would, and I think they are cheap on insurance.

Have not driven one so would need to test that out, but the lack of a mention for them has me worried now, are they not any good?

bails

it was terrible, the slowest, most asthmatic thing I’ve ever driven
    Not such a bad thing for a young driver.

Oh yeah, as I said

But that might be what the OP wants.

It was just a shock having to put it into 1st gear to drive up a (Admittedly steep) hill. It might have had similar power on paper to my old 106 or my gf’s 500, but it felt much less usable in the flesh.

But again, that might not be a bad thing for a new driver, they’ll get plenty of gear change practice!

Have not driven one so would need to test that out, but the lack of a mention for them has me worried now, are they not any good?

My sister had a (i think 03 plate) Cooper S, so I can’t comment on the other engines but the car itself seemed very nice. The interior was a step up from the usual first car suggestions. They might be more expensive to keep running in ‘old age’ than a Yaris or C1 though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Steve-g Mini’s trade at a premium. I would imagine Mrs-G will be less likely to have a bump than a teenager so they may make sense. My eldest drove the Yaris into a Telegrapgh pole wire first day after passing her test. At least she didn’t have a head on collision with the Landy coming the other way 😐

Insurance, long time ago now (12 years for my eldest) but we shopped around and best quote was £650, less than half next best. Worth looking at some “alternatives” like Farmers Union.

As above some gutless smallish car is ideal.

petec
    Free Member

get an old style panda

4 doors, air con, 60mpg, cheap insurance, fine up to about 60mph (may struggle on the motorway!). Cheap and easy to fix

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Honda Jazz?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same situation with my eldest (first lesson tomorrow).
    We’ve nailed it down to:
    Fiat 500 (probs too small)
    VW Up! (good but she’s not blown away by the looks)
    Polo 1.2 (good on a number of fronts and will officially seat 5)
    [curve ball] Alfa Romeo Mito (1.0, looks good but a bit over our budget and I’m not sure about the dealer network).

The insurance for all the above came in at £900-£1000 with daughter as the main driver and parents as named drivers.

Whatever we get needs to last as our other two daughters start driving in 2 years so we’re looking at 2010MY and newer with a budget of about £3500.

And before anyone bleats on about kids being spoilt, blah, blah, we live in the sticks and need a car to get nearly anywhere. We have two cars already, one she cannot drive for a long, long time and the Golf which my wife will be taking into her new job 5 days a week. We’re offsetting the insurance against the £800 it currently costs us for our daughter to get the bus to school.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Steve-g: it’s all about engine size. A new driver can get away with a <1.2 engine but above that the insurance rockets. Not sure you’ll find a 1.2 mini.

Obvs you could just pay more and get the Mini though but I’d be wary of a 15yo car. Less safety for starters.

drlex
    Free Member

Another Aygo owner here; purchased last month.
    Would have liked a VW UP, but just too expensive. Fiat 500 not popular for the driver or her younger sister, who will use the car next year, and I’m not sold on reliability, so wasn’t in the running.

drslow
    Free Member

Sharkbait, you don’t need to justify yourself. Unfortunately, Its a sad reflection of how bad this forum has become.

natrix
    Free Member

Another vote for an old style Fiat Panda, 4WD for some off roading :mrgreen:

petec
    Free Member

a panda is of course the same as a fiat 500. With a different top.

And slightly less street cred.

but they are half the price.

gummikuh

I bought my boy a VW fox, remember it only has 4 seats, this will be an insurance factor.
    He has already creased the passenger side sill in a car park interface issue. it is a cracking little car, and I would happily drive it around, I picked up a new Croix in its box and managed to get that in the back, it was tight though, and headroom was a challenge!

rockhopper70

I spotted a nice looking VW fox on trader, 60 plate for around the budget we have.
    For whatever reason, however, she seems set on a micra.
    Good shout on the aygo tho, might be one to look at.
    Daughter number two will be in this position in two years and she wants a pink and silver smart four two.

jon1973
    Free Member

epicsteve
    Free Member

We went with a 2nd hand Honda Jazz for my daughters first car and it’s still going strong 8 years later (although with some cosmetic challenges) although it’s now been relegated to a spare car. It was an excellent choice for a 1st car though.

jonnyrockymountain

Bought the misses a aygo in the summer, £3900 for a 63 plate with 23,000 miles, £0 tax and great fuel economy, and they drive really well, we are impressed so far

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Insurance cost is the biggest factor.
    For my daughter who passed last year at 17, we found the cheapest commonly available option was the C1 models from 62 plate onwards (the date after which they became zero tax). We paid about £3,400 for a low miles VTR model.
    Multi car with Admiral was about £1000 for the first year based on 6k miles and no requirement for any black box.
    *** Key though with the multi car policies is that they renew all vehicles at same date, which means that your new addition will fall due for renewal at something less than a year if you already have a policy running. This means you only pay the hefty premium pro-rata for that period, then benefit from early renewal with a year’s NCB (so long as the policy has been running for >3 months).
    Renewal was about £700 for the second year.

rockhopper70

The big day is looming and this is back on topic.
    She went on a young driver day at Oultn Park last week and had a spin in the minis they use, and she liked them.
    The 10 year old micro was forgotten.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Toyota Yaris. Bullet proof reliability. Cheap insurance and good residuals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘£3500 budget, what first car for a 17 yr old new (female) driver?’ is closed to new replies.