Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 35 mm bars what's the verdict?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Have seen a bargain Easton Havoc bar/stem combo does the 35 mm diameter make much difference?

Ta

mikeep
    Free Member

Have ridden a set for a few rides. Seam very stiff but maybe a little harsher as a downside.

Gotama
    Free Member

Not that i can tell although i’m comparing a raceface next 35mm to raceface atlas 31.8 so not exactly like with like. No downside to 35mm that i can tell either though and if anything i think the slightly wider diameter looks better.

chiefgrooveguru

I can’t really see the point, especially with the trend towards even shorter stems. However, I got a Raceface SixC carbon 800mm bar and matching stem in the new 35mm standard with my Zero AM which I’ve put onto my Spitfire. It’s the best bar I’ve ever used by a mile – so much easier on the hands than anything else, really well damped, excellent shape (and tons of control/leverage due to the massive width).

So if you spot a bargain and you don’t have a stockpile of normal stems which would be made obsolete then go for it.

MadPierre

I didn’t even notice my newest bike had them (after months of riding and being used to 31.8 on older bikes) until I double checked the spec!

I suspect any “normal” rider would be the same?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My old Hope Vision 4 front light wouldn’t fit on a 35mm bar.

Rosss
    Free Member

I think they look ace, had a set of carbon Havocs on my last bike and personally found them a little too stiff. It may have been in my head but I prefer the feel of the small diameter, I will get another set though to check in the future.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Can’t notice a difference (Santa Cruz 35mms vs Renthal 31.8mm). But I’m neither heavy nor especially rad.

🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

35 mm bars what’s the verdict point?

FTFY

chrishc777
    Free Member

Same here, 35mm on the HT and 31.8 on the big bike, cannot tell the difference. Only bought 35mm as that’s what was cheap at the time!

chiefgrooveguru

My old Hope Vision 4 front light wouldn’t fit on a 35mm bar.

I had to buy another Exposure bar mount – but at least I had another bike to put the spare normal sized mount on so it wasn’t wasted!

rocketman
    Free Member

Good point about the lights hadn’t thought of that!

Northwind

I think the internet conclusively found that the bars are no different to normal bars, noticably and wonderfully more stiff, and so harsh as to be unusable. I only realised I’d tried a set afterwards, didn’t notice while riding so I rolled a dice to decide how I felt.

They do look good though.

RustySpanner

Please don’t.
    It only encourages them.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Just checked the Bro-in-law’s bike in the garage and it has 35 Atlas bars. Didn’t notice any difference compared to the Wife’s standard Atlas bars when I rode them recently.

Tom KP

rocketman
    Free Member

They do look good though.

Ok that decides it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘35 mm bars what's the verdict?’ is closed to new replies.