Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 35 in 30. what to expect for a first time offence?
  • womble72
    Free Member

Country lane,30 zone less than a mile long and no schools or fluffy kittens around. Got papped by a mobile van when slowing down from 50 but obviously not quick enough. So how much jail time am I gonna get? Is Bubba waiting for me? Feel free to lecture me on my stupidity.

Cougar

Speed Awareness Course if you’re lucky.

jam-bo

Speed awareness course for 35

Court for 50

PiknMix
    Free Member

A bumming from STW.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Points Fine or Awareness course?

Is the 35 what they sent you? by the time you spot it they generally have you so could be a lot more

womble72
    Free Member

Yeah, 35 is what they have me down for. It’s a country lane that has 8 houses on it and the 30 is enforced for the residents of said houses… Like I say, my fault for not slowing down from 50 quicker. Bit of a bummer really as I’m always careful but hey ho.. Momentary lapse of concentration and all that.

What are the speed awareness courses like? Do they have a pass/fail type test at the end?

Cougar

Exactly how I got caught out; slowing from a 50 to a 30 and didn’t quite slow soon enough. Mia culpa.

You can’t fail the course (unless you try really hard to get kicked off it), you just have to attend. From previous discussions on STW, you’ll either find it pointless and patronising or really interesting and helpful, depending on whether you’ve a reasonable handle of the Highway Code or have spent the last decade driving with your eyes closed.

ahwiles
    Free Member

womble72 – Member

What are the speed awareness courses like? Do they have a pass/fail type test at the end?

Mine wasn’t too bad akshully, mostly a bit dull, but occasionally interesting and useful. Just like school.

I find it hard to imagine how you could ‘fail’, even the argumentative thickies* got a ‘pass’ at the end.

(*struggling to understand that a dual carriage way is not necessarily 2 lanes each way, nor does it mean NSL)

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

A work colleague got sent on one, it was full of school mum run and sales reps.

When the “teacher” went round the group asking people how much they’d gone over the speed limit by my colleague replied “84 in a 30”. He got a death looks and the instructor began saying that he shouldn’t be on the course etc at which point he said “oh sorry I meant 84 in a 70”.

Suffice to say he got sent to the naughty chair and told there was no humour in speeding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t forget to dress smart

gears_suck
    Free Member

There’s no test and no pass/fail. You are required to attend, stay the duration and participate. That is all. It’s worthwhile going and I guarantee you will learn something. I’ve done it and it makes you realise the importance of maintaining your focus and adhering to speed limits. Of course there are always those who think they know better and those that cant accept they are wrong but, if you’re a little humble and agree you got ticketed because you broke the law, you’ll be fine.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Watch out if the subject gets onto bikes on these courses. Inevitably there will be during the parts about awareness of risks around you, and I found most the others on the course were a bit annoyed at being there (or having been caught) and bike hate surfaced. Didn’t help when the cops running it agreed with them on many points.

Still, the awareness part I did find helpful. Also generally it clarified a few things I was a bit clueless about, such as a dual carriage way is simply one with a partition down the middle so you can actually go 70 even if it’s a single lane, but 60 if there’s no partition. i.e. “dual” carriages, not dual as in has more than one lane as I stupidly thought 😆 . Another was that all those “Max Speed” square signs about are purely advisory. Only the speed in a red bordered circle is the law.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘35 in 30. what to expect for a first time offence?’ is closed to new replies.