Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 3/4's rule!
  • doh
    Free Member

Put on a “normal” length short today for the 1st time in years for a quick spin, half way round I had a shifter short interface and landed like a fridge on a pile of rocks. Now nursing a swollen right hand and some good grazes.

Is this a common thing?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you like to call yourself a cyclist, can I ask why you’re not wearing lycra shorts?

bikeneil
    Free Member

If you like to call yourself a cyclist, can I ask why you’re not wearing lycra shorts?

Because they make you look stupid?

aracer
    Free Member

People wearing baggies just think they don’t look stupid.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

You look stupid regardless, Lycra is stupid looking and practical.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Oh yeah, 3/4s rule. My cock always hangs out the bottom of short shorts. Speaking of cocks…

chip
    Free Member

If I was 13 stone of lean beefcake, which I was only two years ago I would wear Lycra walking around tescos,
    But now being (ahem) stone of beef dripping, baggy is my friend.

Although the story did not end as badly as I expected a short short story to.
    No screaming woman and children and no registers signed.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lycra bibs all the way here. It’s very practical and as I am over the age of 35 I really don’t give a toss what I wear anymore.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member

Ha, well, they might make you look stupid….

welshfarmer

Short baggies for summer, 3/4s for winter & pure lycra for competitions.

doh
    Free Member

Sorry was on a fatbike so wearing Lycra and attracting even more attention wasn’t an option.
    Then again falling over and crying isn’t a good alternative.

scaredypants

shifter:shorts

how do you achieve that unless you’re already falling off ?

deviant
    Free Member

As above, how the hell do you catch your shorts on your shifters?…i can only think your shorts are like some voluminous Victorian garment or you need to buy a bike with a longer toptube!

3/4 length stuff is a no go for me as i just associate them with women’s fashion items, it’s either shorts or trousers….Culottes are an abomination.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

How the hell do you do this?

zero-cool
    Free Member

He probably caught them mid-barspin 😉

I’m with you, baggies are the way forward when out in public. Although never caught my shorts on my shifters.
    Tom kP

dudeofdoom

I like waterproof 3/4’s in the winter but def not summer Wear…

I’m over 35 and I do care what I look like otherwise before you know its those orrible nylon trousers 2 inches 2 short and a comb over.

+1 on what were you doing – riding on the handlebars ?

MoreCashThanDash

We do all seem to be waiting for the most important part of the story….

D0NK

TBH having a short/shifter interface crash makes you look pretty ****ing stupid. See also saddle/short hook up induced crash.

What shifters? Never managed that myself.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I ripped the butt out of my Interpid Apparel shorts at the weekend.
    Was on my pal’s “other” bike which doesn’t have a dropper post (which I’m used to riding with).
    Caught the end of the saddle on the seat of the shorts and the back of my nuts on a steep downhill.

Ouch.

Surprisingly, although Intrepid Apparel talk about a garment for life in their care instructions they only offer a 28 day warranty.

Looks like I’ll be sewing in a nice Metallica patch. Maybe with Lars’ face on it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If I was 13 stone of lean beefcake

How on earth do I put on 2 1/2 stone and still look buff?

Also never caught shorts on shifters but i have on saddles

jimoiseau
    Free Member

How on earth do I put on 2 1/2 stone and still look buff?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/steroids

aracer
    Free Member

So you reckon riding a fatbike wearing lycra would make you look silly. Which part of the combo do you think contributes most to that?

doh
    Free Member

Think the extra wide bar might have contributed it was also during a low speed shimmy through a gate thing meaning the bar was turned at a big angle.

Endura singletracks and XT shifters if anyone would like to try replicate the accident:)

It doesn’t matter if you wear Lycra or baggies you look like a weirdo to 99% of the population

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think well fitting knee length baggies look a lot better than lycra.

Lycra is for those who shave their legs and think they look cool….

D0NK

Lycra is for those who shave their legs (possibly) and think they look cool want functional kit….

ftfy

I don’t think any lycra wearer ever thought it was a good look, delusions of cool is shirley a baggies thing

yunki
    Free Member

baggies take preference over lycra for me, in fact they’re essential for hanging about in the school playground when I pick up my 5 year old

cookeaa

I’ll own up to wearing both baggies and lycra for MTBing, depending on Which particular niche I’m adopting that day… my appearance to others is not all that important.

But 3/4 baggies? They’re just for holidaying Chavs aren’t they?
    Can you even buy them without ‘Kappa’ logo’s down the legs?

Either way, worrying about one’s appearance while riding a Fat Bike is probably the grandest Irony of all…

This lot look relatively awesome IMO:

Lycra + Fat bikes Combo Shocka!

You’ll note they’re tackling actual snow rather than pissing about on bridal paths though…

dudeofdoom

+1 for the shorts caught NutRipper…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I love a good mazurka

scaredypants

yunki – Member
    baggies take preference over lycra for me, in fact they’re essential for hanging about in the school playground when I pick up my 5 year old

Hmmmm, yes – that’s not a good playground look unless you’re actually trying to get on the register

back2basics
    Free Member

I thought this would be a maths thread

pics of snow and fat bikes made up for it

scaredypants

for you back2basics, though more like 2/3 IMO

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘3/4's rule!’ is closed to new replies.