Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 34mm Vs 32mm stanchions.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Is there much of a difference? I’m looking at two forks just now one has 32mm stanchions and a 20mm maxle the other has 34mm stanchions and a 15mm axle. Both have tapered steerers. I was wondering what has the most effect on stiffening up the front end.

Northwind

It Depends. There’s a massive difference between a Fox 32 and 34, because Fox 32s are an XC fork stretched too far. But there’s much less difference between a Revelation and a Fox 34- I assume that’s the comparison here. It’s just standard Fox practice, turning a failing into a selling point for a new product.

Still, of the 2 the 34 is the stiffer. How much do you care? 36s aren’t enormously heavier but are a fair bit stiffer (bigger difference between a 34 and 36 than between a Rev and 34, I reckon, though never compared all 3 back to back) But at the same time, I reckon my Revs are more than stiff enough. I could probably live with 32s.

tmb467
    Free Member

I had a set of Pikes on a 1 1/8 headtube with 32mm stanchions and a 20mm Maxle. It was very stiff

I would suggest that your question is more about what is stiff enough…if you’re doing stuff that might flex a set of 32mm / 20mm Maxle then the answer isn’t really going to be ‘go for a 34mm / 15mm hub’ and vice versa

Both will be fine for what you ride, I’d imagine. Which ones look the best? Cost less? Have additional features…etc?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, the forks are 140mm RS Revs and 140mm X Fusion Trace (both 29er) and tbh its not going to amount to a whole load of difference in practice. I doubt I’ll be extracting every last bit of stiffness out of either, I just always seem to get caught up in looking at the minute detail of everything.

Both will be fine for what you ride, I’d imagine. Which ones look the best? Cost less? Have additional features…etc?

That pretty much sums it up, the Revs are cheaper and look just as good.

robhughes
    Free Member

My revs are 12.67% less stiff than my pikes which are 14.45% less stiff than my lyriks.Hope this helps.. 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

The 15mm axle was the most ridiculous invention the industry created to save a few grams. Should have just stuck with 20mm and then we wouldn’t have all this idiotic fracturing of standards and parts commonality.

Northwind

bwaarp – Member

The 15mm axle was the most ridiculous invention the industry created to save a few grams

Not even that- most years, the maxle was lighter than the 15mm QR. Skinny tube needing thicker walls (and also I suspect Fox being happy not to bother too much, because people still thought it was lighter even when it wasn’t). And then people using convertible hubs where the 15mm version was usually heavier too.

Even Fox admit it’s not good enough for the 36 and 40. GAAAHAGHAGRHGARHGh.

Kahurangi

bwaarp – Member
    The 15mm axle was a typically ridiculous invention the industry created to earn a few dollars

🙂

Yetiman
    Free Member

In 29er form my 140mm 34’s are noticeably stiffer than 120mm 32’s. Both 15mm. I had 150mm Revs on my hardtail, they were pretty noodly tbh, and that’s what put me off buying a long travel Rock Shox 29er fork. If it was my choice I’d be sorely tempted by the X-Fusions.

Duane…
    Free Member

It largely depends on what length forks I guess – I have 32mm Pikes which I always run at 100mm and am fine with them, similarily I have 34mm Fox 34s, which are 160mm, and I’m fine with them

(FWIW, before the 34s I had 40mm Totems!)

patriotpro
    Free Member

What twists my melon is increasng the stanchion diameter then decreasing the thru-axle diameter?! Whatstharallabart?!

Reign_Man
    Free Member

I also looking at these two forks as an options and am leaning towards the X fusion at the moment but the £200 price difference may swing it in the end.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

What twists my melon is increasng the stanchion diameter then decreasing the thru-axle diameter?! Whatstharallabart?!

It infuriates me way more than it should.

Fox 34s having 15mm axle just makes no sense, and the less said about the sacrilegeous 15mm axle new Pikes the better….

PJM1974
    Free Member

he 15mm axle was the most ridiculous invention the industry created to save a few grams

It had nothing to do with saving grams…

All of my wheelsets are 20mm jobs, I consider it a prerequisite.

I_Ache
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

Soon we will be riding around on 180mm forks with massive stanchions and 5mmQRs.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I also looking at these two forks as an options and am leaning towards the X fusion at the moment but the £200 price difference may swing it in the end.

It swung it for me in the end( to the Rev’s though), over £200 when I used on of the vouchers kicking about, that should see me with a dropper post. I’ll hopefully not be able to tell the difference. I did really fancy the X Fusions though, all good reports, look good too but I’ve never had a problem with RS and at the CRC price it was too good an opportunity to miss.

maxtorque

Nice to see all the usual STW armchair experts voicing!

As a way of some home work, please google the actual science between bending stiffness and (double)shear stiffness. This clear shows why you can have a large stantion diameter but a small through axle diameter.

robhughes
    Free Member

Totaly agree with Fortunateson09 there.A 35mm pike with 15mm axle ?????.Why don,t RS go the full hog and put a normal qr lower on it.
    Numpties…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘34mm Vs 32mm stanchions.’ is closed to new replies.