• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 34g
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Reassurance sought.

Is not noticeable is it? Especially for a 100Kgs rider on a 160mm Alu bike.

I need a new 11sp Cassette and Chain – SLX Cassette is £10 cheaper than XT.

I should spend the spare money on a couple of uplifts at BPW shouldn’t I.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Alu freehub? Does SLX still gouge more than XT?

(would be the decider for me)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, it’s a bit of a boat anchor anyway.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve just eaten a bag of crisps that weights 35g. Not sure i’ll notice it.

oldnpastit

It’s unsprung mass. And it’s rotating.

It’s basically the same weight as one of your legs.

jonnyboi

as per rubber buccaneer. I’d be more concerned with the steel carrier on an slx cassette.

Daffy

34g? You’ll have more weight in mud on your tyres by the time you leave the car park than 34g.

molgrips
    Free Member

You won’t notice it of course.

But if you add a little extra weight on all your components, you’ll have a significantly heavier bike which you might well notice. But you’ll be a lot richer.

stevextc
    Free Member

I think the M68x/M7000-M78x/M8000 difference is a lot bigger than that….
    and personally I’d get the two uplifts …

You’d save more weight and money on 1×10 (chains and cassettes)

P-Jay
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    You won’t notice it of course.

But if you add a little extra weight on all your components, you’ll have a significantly heavier bike which you might well notice. But you’ll be a lot richerless poor.

Cool.

TBH my bike is ‘finished’ I tend to buy a bike, then replace all the bits I don’t like in 12 months and tend not to mess with it too much after that unless bits break.

I’ve nothing against 10sp other than the £10 saving over the 11sp version would be more than wiped out by the need for a new shifter (and possibly mech) and they only seem to go upto 36t and I struggle with 42! with a 32t front.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve nothing against 10sp other than the £10 saving over the 11sp version would be more than wiped out by the need for a new shifter (and possibly mech) and they only seem to go upto 36t and I struggle with 42! with a 32t front.

Its not a tenner when you include chains though!
    I did mine 1×11 but the kid still has 1×10 with an expander when needed…
    (If we were going to pedal up at FOD I’d stick on the 40T on his XT 11-36 (that’s then 12-40) for example but round Swinley we use a SLX 11-32) … if his expander wears (and I have a spare unused just delivered) it’s cheaper to replace whereas my M8000 11-42 has a soft alloy 1st but not (economically) replaceable…

I’d deffo not swap with the added cost of shifters thrown in…. but just sorta saying the extra costs on 11sp are not JUST the obvious… I’ve done it now so I’m probably not going to change back but I wouldn’t actually do it again… and if the kiddo goes 11sp it will most likely be SLX as it’s significantly easier shifting… That just got put off as we were at FOD and his chain got replaced (though it turned out he’d bashed the NW) so ended up buying ANOTHER 10sp chain and they last a lot longer with a kid (so long as you keep em clean)…

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve got both and can’t really tell any difference.

Once the XT goes I will probably go SLX to replace it

aP
    Free Member

I tend to go for a compromise between weight/money/longevity. But for £10 I’d probably go for the XT.

pickle
    Free Member

How about Sunrace?

stevextc
    Free Member

How about Sunrace?

I seem to be missing something here but my prejudice is decade(s) old based on Sunrace freewheels and them always seizing up ….

But today their cassettes are more expensive than ‘normally discounted’ SLX or XT so what is the attraction ???
    My first thought (with prejudice) is they aren’t going to be as smooth as XT but then I have a 3rd P NW on 4/4 and 3rd P expander ring on 3/4 bikes so perhaps I need to let old prejudices go?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I seem to be missing something here but my prejudice is decade(s) old based on Sunrace freewheels and them always seizing up ….

Mine are based purely on the fact that Sunrace stuff only ever seemed to come on the cheapest of cheap bikes OE and you never replaced them with like-for-like.

I was just looking at them now, they seem to be 10% more than Shimano prices (but about par if you want the massive 46t ones) but have a much more SRAM look about them (and weight I’d guess) but will run on a Shimano freebody.

I might look into them a bit more.

Mate had a Sunrace expander ring which was a bit crap, but I think they all are.

stevextc
    Free Member

Mine are based purely on the fact that Sunrace stuff only ever seemed to come on the cheapest of cheap bikes OE and you never replaced them with like-for-like.

I was just looking at them now, they seem to be 10% more than Shimano prices (but about par if you want the massive 46t ones) but have a much more SRAM look about them (and weight I’d guess) but will run on a Shimano freebody.

I might look into them a bit more.

Mate had a Sunrace expander ring which was a bit crap, but I think they all are.

Yep, that’s where I’m at …
    I’ve had AB and Superstar Expanders and they have been great..(especially if you get the Superstar for £15). I’ve actually just got a RaceFace delivered but not tried it.
    So I’m thinking well if I’ll stick that on for 1st why not try a Sunrace cassette but then I see the price.
    Perhaps my memories of crap OEM is a past era for them…

Is a possible few grams worth possible dodgy shifting ??

kelvin

SLX everything except cassette (XT) and chain (SRAM solid pin)… that’s my go to build.

philjunior
    Free Member

But if you add a little extra weight on all your components, you’ll have a significantly heavier bike which you might well notice. But you’ll be a lot richer.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO #
    I’d second this, even if your bike is near but it’ll be slowly gaining weight every time you save a tenner. So don’t eat that pack of crisps 20 times and buy the xt. Same cost, nearly 1lb saved!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Little update…

Put it off until 1st was so worn it dam near sent me over the bars at the weekend.

Straight to CRC, Wiggle, Merlin – SLX no longer discounted, now more expensive than XT which made for an easy decision…. if an odd one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘34g’ is closed to new replies.