Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 34336 pedal strokes gets you from London to…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Brighton in a day for Fish & Chips on the beach…

**** me, that was a looooong ride! 146.4km at an average of 19km/hr, 7hrs 45mins. All in all though, quite a nice day, though it's a bit unfair to have to climb over the South Downs after 130km+ of riding! The descent down to the coast was good though 🙂

Followed the South Downs Link until I somehow got lost, then did the last 17km or so on the road, hence it adding up to a bit more than the expected 135km or so.

Cramping up a little now, need to drink more water… carried 3 litres + a 500ml Powerade and 2 x 500ml 'For Goodness Shakes' wasn't enough really. Ate 3 bananas, 1 clif bar and 2 chocolate doughnuts, again probably not enough fuel?

My question now is, just how the **** am I meant to ride for 24hrs at MM??

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not sure, you will have to think about it as you ride home 🙂
    (nice one by the way)

psychle
    Free Member

that's what I was thinking on the train home, as I constantly cramped up in my left groin (got some odd looks as I massaged that one out!). I don't think I could've turned around and ridden all the way home, and that'd only take me to 16-18 hours (allowing for a slower average speed)… What's the trick to this 24hr solo lark??

sockpuppet

it's easier than you think! keep putting in the eight hour rides and you'll be fine

it's all in your head really.

btw, you don't need to average 19km. 15km/h was enough to win last year, after all!

psychle
    Free Member

Yeah, but I bet there are a few hills on the course? And most likely mud as well?

brakes
    Free Member

is this an easy to follow route? did you start in central London or get the train somewhere first?
    would like to do this myself

Talkemada
    Free Member

If you're suffering with cramp, you need more salt. Replacing fluid is one thing, but you've also lost salts from your body, which then leads to muscle cramps.

Crisps, salty, peanuts, even just salt in water (eeurgh) will help. Don't be fussing with all those expensive 'sports' drinks; all they contain is stuff you can easily get from regular foods anyway. Marketing gimmick.

And if you're doing lots of exercise, don't fall for that 'eat less salt' bollocks; that's aimed at people who eat loads of processed junk. Salt is vital for good health, in the right amounts.

ratcatcher

Its a good day out. a few mates and I are heading down 22nd may deff getting the train back.

psychle
    Free Member

tried to follow that route you sent me, but somehow got 'lost' after West Grinstead… ended up going along the road over the Downs 🙄

psychle
    Free Member

If you're suffering with cramp, you need more salt. Replacing fluid is one thing, but you've also lost salts from your body, which then leads to muscle cramps.

yah, just made myself drink a nice cup of salty sugary water, not tasty at all!

MrSmith
    Free Member

nowhere near enough food, about 5000kal that need to come from somewhere. carried too much water, there must have been somewhere to fill up half way? a Nun tablet or similar would have stopped the cramp.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I have no idea how you've survived on such little food! I'd be dead!

psychle
    Free Member

beginners errors I guess 😆 Need to look into the 'science' of this a bit more…

I have no idea how you've survived on such little food! I'd be dead!

Luckily at the moment I have some decent (ie. lots!) of body fat, so plenty of onboard fuel to utilise 😉

Drac

yah, just made myself drink a nice cup of salty sugary water, not tasty at all!

A packet of crisps would have done the job.

Good effort though that's quite an epic ride.

Notter
    Free Member

Nicely done psycle, well played indeed.

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 bakes- what is the route? (nice one btw!)

br
    Free Member

Nothing to do with science, on any day out you'll surely stop at a cafe/pub/garage/shop etc?

We do, and a good ride has 2 cafes in it.

Good effort though.

psychle
    Free Member

Basically, starts in central London ('official' start point is the London Eye), goes to Roehampton Gate at Richmond Park, exits via Ham Gate and joins cycle route 4, this takes you all the way to the Wey River Navigations. You then follow the Wey all the way (ha ha!) to Guildford and then join the South Downs Link. You follow this for around 50km and then your meant to join the South Downs Way on to the coast, but I somehow cocked this bit up and ended up finishing off the last 17km on road (thank god for GPS, otherwise I would've been a little lost!)

Feeling a little knackered this morning, woke up with a killer cramp at 3am, had me in tears it did! Took half an hour to work it out, then drank some more salty/sugary water… shall have to concentrate more on electrolyte replacement on these epics!

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks mate! 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

Sounds good! I may have to give that a go in the summer…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Psychle, how 'tough' is this route? IE, would it be ok for someone with limited off-road skills (otherwise confident cyclist), and a dislike of 'bumpy dangerous bits' ( :roll:)? Or is it a bit demanding in places?

Is it officially 135km/84 miles? And is there some sort of guide? Ta.

psychle
    Free Member

not demanding at all (other than the distance), it's all flat towpaths and metalled bridleways until you hit the Downs, then it's uphill to get over them, but still on metalled bridleways (or on the road if you muck it up like I did!). There is a route guide, shall email it to you (Ratcatcher emailed it to me last year).

njee20
    Free Member

Joining the SDW from the Downs Link (not South Downs Link, sorry!) should be very straight forward, you cross the A283 just south of Bramber, then there's a little wiggly bit and it comes out at a field, you right up the RH side of the field, then there's a 90 degree left, with a path coming from the right, that's the SDW. You cross the Adur on a little concrete bridge, the Downs Link turns right, IIRC the SDW goes straight on there.

Here, the bridge is in the middle.

brakes
    Free Member

There is a route guide, shall email it to you

can I get a copy of that please? email in profile. ta.

singletracksurfer

can I have a copy too please?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Can anyone post the route guide somewhere where we can all get a copy?

If not can you please email me a copy? (engledow_uk[at]hotmail[dot]com) Ta

singletracksurfer

e-mail rough ride guide – they did the route (guide)

tang
    Free Member

nunn tabs! keep the tube in the pack for the long rides. well done there sir.

singletracksurfer

My skins cycle shorts seem to ward off cramp and some compression tights are good at the end of a long ride too (plus LOTS of water).

DrP

This sounds similar to the BHF L2B off road route of last year (in fact, may be the route?).

That was fun, but not technical in the least. Would have been better on a cross bike as the south downs link is an old railway line – not famous for their elevation those railways!

DrP

singletracksurfer

yeah it is similar, but the BHF go via Shere (over the North Downs).

a cx bike is perfect. its a ride to get the miles in, not to sharpen your technical skills!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Sounds perfect for what I've got in mind actually.

Psychle; I'll email you later.

njee20
    Free Member

Elete water can be added to any drink and seems to ward off cramp very well. The trouble with Nuun/Zym is that you're only getting electrolytes, so need to take your carbs in other ways.

I've ridden the Downs Link (it's not called the South Downs Link) many times from Cranleigh – Shoreham and back, and to be honest I find it much more comfortable on a FS, even doing that on a hardtail tends to be pretty uncomfortable, personally I wouldn't want to do it on a cross bike!

psychle
    Free Member

Yep, 'tis the Downs Link, sorry 😳 It is flat but I reckon it'd be a little uncomfortable on a rigid or CX bike, the surface is a bit rough at times, bit like cobblestones etc. I did it on my ASR-sl (3.75" rear travel), was comfortable enough on it.

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, something of that ilk would definitely be my choice!

angryratio
    Free Member

nice going. +1

Edric64
    Free Member

Good ride there mate but I to would have starved on the little food you ate.I eat every 20 minutes or so on long rides ,little and often ,fruit pies anything I like as it all gets burnt off during the ride .You didn't take to much water by the way I would use a large 750ml bottle an hour so would have used more than your bladder held on a long ride like you did

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘34336 pedal strokes gets you from London to…’ is closed to new replies.