Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 34:20
  • singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I am thinking of doing a wee bothying trip, probably more than one day.
    After a year at uni I am skint. will this ratio be Ok for some light weight touring (29er) or am i really goingto break myself?

luked2
    Free Member

I hope not! That's more-or-less what I'm going to use for the South Downs Way next weekend (36:21, 29").

trail_rat
    Free Member

pfffft big poof gear 😉

we have moved out of aberdeen dan – youll have to come visit us in our new house presuming they let us rent it ! – youll enjoy the riding 😉

tazzymtb

it's a lovely ratio for a big wheeler

borwens
    Free Member

U'll be spinnin out so much yr legs will all be a blurrrrrrrr

OCB
    Free Member

I run 34:20 (on a 26"), in hilly ole' Devonshire, and I find it's a decent compromise if you are riding hills and off-road. For a direct comparison – my road only SS's are 42:18's.

You spin out in no time, it'll feel dog-slow on the flat and you'll coast downhill – (but it'll be a good aerobic workout). 😉

In practical terms, I use that bike for shopping too, and when it's fully loaded I cannot carry it up the steps to my front door, it's too heavy, but, I can still ride it up pretty much anything.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Mmmmm I wonder how many hills so of you guys can actually ride up? I'm on 32-21 (29er) bit of a faf on road but spot on off road!

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

normally ride 34:18 but think with the extra weight will need some easier gearing. And the trip will be along the lines of 13thfloormonks but in the opposite direction and into the cairngorms. And shorter. Much shorter.

Edric64
    Free Member

44/20 offroad here

adey205
    Free Member

pah! you're all women. 34/15, off road

MTFU 😆

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

44:20? 34:15? I am not worthy 😉
    or do you live in Holland?

And nine posts in before mention of a dose of MTFU.

Stw standards are slipping I feel 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

pah! you're all women. 34/15, off road

You win but it's less than 2 inches higher

I used to use 42/18 so I would have won but changed rings and only had a 44 but had a 20 sprocket in stock

miketually
    Free Member

Mmmmm I wonder how many hills so of you guys can actually ride up? I'm on 32-21 (29er) bit of a faf on road but spot on off road!

I ran 34:18 on my 29er, which was a little high off-road to be honest. But, I could get up all but the two steepest climbs we rode at Hamsterley.

34:18 is about the same as 32:15 on a 26er – I run 32:17 on my 26er.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘34:20’ is closed to new replies.