Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 3/4 tights without a pad – what's good?
  • thebrowndog
    Free Member

Very dull thread so apols for that. Looking for some 3/4s without a pad as I will wear bib-shorts underneath. Any suggestions?

BadlyWiredDog

I’m not sure there’s much out there. If you’re planning on wearing your existing shorts anyway, why not just buy some three-quarter length leg warmers? Cheaper and arguably more versatile.

garage-dweller

Or just get some 3/4 bibs?

(Or am I being thick?)

BigJohn

You might be able to get a pair of padded tights and a Quick Unpick.

That will let you remove most pads.

Alternatively wear both and learn to balance.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I don’t think tights over bibshorts will be that comfortable, maybe I’m just a bit too sensitive.

BigJohn

It’s *kind of* nice. Get used to it!

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t think tights over bibshorts will be that comfortable, maybe I’m just a bit too sensitive.

It’s okay in my experience, but there simply aren’t many 3/4-length tights or bibs out there without a chamois, presumably because you’re only extending a pair of lycra shorts by an additional few inches, hence my suggestion of some knee-warmers.

If what the OP wants is some extra warmth, then heavier-weight Roubaix-type 3/4s might be the answer. The Wiggle DHB Aeron Roubaix 3/4 bibs work for me in autumn conditions, but not for proper full winter stuff, though everyone’s different. YMMV etc

irc

Decathlon do lycra 3/4 running tights in 2 different weights.

£10-£20 depending on sales etc.

I used the lightest version on my last tour over unpadded running boxer shorts. No problems at all over 1900 miles. The medium weight might be too warm over padded shorts but at the price worth trying the lightweight ones.

Not sure if these ones are the ones I used but for the price of a couple of pints?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ekiden-3-4-tights-id_8238572.html

TiRed

Just get some with a decent pad. Not cheap, but Rapha are fantastic. Especially in the sales.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

To explain: I have several pairs of bib shorts and want something over the top to keep the old knees and thighs warm. I have been using knee warmers, but my legs an arse are getting cold in the chillier mornings. I’ll given those Decathlon jobbies. Thanks for that.

BadlyWiredDog

I suspect these would be good if you can afford the price tag. Sorry, I chanced on them and thought of this thread 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘3/4 tights without a pad – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.