Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 3/4 Lycra longs – what's good (all price ranges considered)
  • fubar
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing some Endura ones and they have been pretty good and are wearing well but the material is on the warmer side (when it rises a few degrees!) and the fit around my calf could be better.

So any recommendations ?

nickc

Ground effect montezuma

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got some castelli ones that are fantastic and some okay dhb ones.

theflatboy
    Free Member

My recent Endura 3/4s are atrocious. Never buying anything lycra and leg-based from them again as a result. Shame, as the previous incarnation of the same thing was excellent.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

dhb here – slight fleece back but not as much as endura.

had them ages and have performed/lasted well.

fubar
    Free Member

Ground effect montezuma

Mmmm the description sounds like they may be similar to the ones I have:

Thermo-charged shorts for stomping around when the weather turns nippy.

Does anybody do a more regular lycra version rather than a brushed / fleece like inside.

CraigW
    Free Member

Lidl have some this week, £8.

fubar
    Free Member

If I get the chance I might take the wife for a ‘day out’ to Lidl 🙂

FOG

dhb seem ok but the sizes seem to bewell under other makes eg I can usually get in a L or XL for most makes but for dhb I really should have gone for XXL and I am not a porker!

tonyd

I’ve been very impressed with the Campag kit. Not got 3/4s but I’ve some bib shorts and winter bib tights by them and they’re the best I’ve tried. They seem to be on permanent sale at CRC.

Was very close to getting some 3/4s when I spotted some bargain knee warmers on the classifieds here. Have you considered some knee warmers with standard shorts? That’s what I’ll be using if/when it warms up a little.

fubar
    Free Member

I do have some knee warmers somewhere might give them another go.
    I’m hoping some nice 3/4 might turn up in a sale when the summer arrives (already noticed some Castelli ones on wiggle…but not sure they have enough X’s for my size but that’s going in the right direction)

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah just use knee or leg warmers with your preferred shorts, much cheaper if you crash (I seem to scuff my knees 75% of the time when I crash anyhow).

gren
    Free Member

Another vote for knee warmers under baggies. They come just up to where my liners shorts come down to so in effect 3/4s

tmb467
    Free Member

Likewise – knee warmers under baggies

(When I read the title I thought the OP meant Lycra thongs)

slackalice
    Free Member

Ive recently got me some GORE 3/4 lycra shorts. Very comfy, the knees stay covered (unlike my ageing Ground Effect’s), warm, very good padded bit and I appreciate the snug fit.

They are, I would suggest, better suited to those of a slimmer disposition 🙂

Worn under a pair on non-padded shorts and I almost look like I know what I’m about 😉

LardLover
    Free Member

One for the haterz?

Rapha. Love mine.

jonba
    Free Member

Knee warmers and shorts. Lycra helps the knee warmers stay up if under baggies.

No need to buy 3/4 which are only needed a few months a year.

senorj

gore power for me.

Bazz

Altura do some regular lycra 3/4 length ones, not to bad either.

fubar
    Free Member

No need to buy 3/4 which are only needed a few months a year.

Think I started November, if not October, so 5 months so far and I’m expecting still to be using them in April ! I should admit that I’ll be using these for road duties (no baggies) and I have a dodgy knee I like to keep warm.

My Altura stuff has usually been decent so I’ll take a look there too.

tonyd

^^^ Probably assuming you wear full length through the winter – I do for road commuting duties. Toasty!

fubar
    Free Member

nah…not getting on with full length as the ones I have are a little long for my relatively short legs and tend to bunch up around the knees.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Old Endura 3/4 bibs gave up the ghost last year – so I replaced with newer version of the same. Mistake – terrible. Replaced with Pearl Izumi PRO’s which are superb.

nickc

No need to buy 3/4 which are only needed a few months a year

Really, other way round surely? I think I probably spend less time in shorts

TiRed

Have some De Marchi roubaix ones that I’m wearing as I type. Also some club ones from Champion that are a tighter fit. The most flexible piece of kit I have. I wear them with long wool socks (from M&S and Chrome) in winter with boots and short socks and race shoes in spring and autumn. I also have a Pearl Izumi pair of non-roubaix but the fit is less good.

Still looking for a nice pair of chequered socks for the club run to cheer our Chairman. Very 1930’s.

theflatboy
    Free Member

skinnysteel – Member

Old Endura 3/4 bibs gave up the ghost last year – so I replaced with newer version of the same. Mistake – terrible.

this is exactly my experience. such a let-down. old ones – amazing, lasted for ages as well. new ones – horrifically shit. 😡

alwillis

Skins on sale at CRC- love mine! I wear them almost every day to commute (and wash them regularly too) and they still fit well.

They aren’t thick or fleecy at all- just standard lycra

federalski
    Free Member

I’ve became a fan of Lusso recently. I like Gore stuff but I’m really not sure they are worth the extra…
    The Lusso Roubaix 3/4’s are great, about £30 and handmade in the UK.

one_bad_mofo

For the money, I reckon you can’t go wrong with Decathlon’s 3/4 bib shorts – http://www.decathlon.co.uk/3-4-cycling-bib-tights-5-flat-id_6374136.html

tonyd

not getting on with full length as the ones I have are a little long for my relatively short legs and tend to bunch up around the knees.

Not that you’re looking for full length, but I’ve also got little legs and have some Campag Ardennes for winter commuting duties. They fit very well and are just the right length for me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I hate to sound all arsey, but the Italian ones I have are far superior to the alternatives I’ve tried.

I’ve got some Santini ones that were £60 at RRP and they’re great- very comfy, fleecy and the fit is superb. I have some Giordana ones that were £45 and are just plain lycra and they’re great too.

I have some Altura ones that cost more (£70) and they aren’t as comfy- the fit isn’t as good, despite having more panels, the material isn’t as nice and the pad not as good. Similarly, tried Endura and they just disintegrate.

hatter

Santini Gel Intechs for the win, made in Italy, really comfy, fir beautifully and last for ages with one of the best pads out there.

At £99.99 they’re a nice compromise between cheapo Endura/DHB and silly money Castelli and Rapha.

I think the current versions are called the ‘tempo’ I have two pairs of the old ‘aria’ versions and they’re some of the best bits of riding clothing I’ve ever bought.

stanleigh
    Free Member

Can’t rate GORE highly enough. Great fit , not too expensive & you know they’ll last.

As always , best bought from a shop . Couldn’t get XL Enduras over my feet , where as the Gore XL were spot on.

Was so chuffed I went back & bought a second pair (£39 in a sale )

Done a few hundred (MTB) miles with them under baggies now , well happy.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I have some Fox 3/4 liners – still going strong after 3 years and just the right thickness for winter/spring/autumn. Perfect under baggies too

Recommended – they sometimes come up on offer @ Stif

Like this http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/fox-evolution-34-length-liner/8786

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘3/4 Lycra longs – what's good (all price ranges considered)’ is closed to new replies.