Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • £33,000 worth?
  • core

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25330237

Now, am I missing something, not seeing a hidden picture in the dots, or just dull?

Those ‘pieces’ are just some coloured dots. Why on ever would you want them in a gallery, consider them any good or give them any value?

jam-bo

i wouldn’t buy one but just because you don’t like it or don’t get it, it doesn’t make it worthless.

wwaswas

They’ve issued a photofit of the villain;

scruff9252

An alterntvive view from the daily mash;

Stolen Damien Hirst artworks ‘easily replaced’

shermer75
    Free Member

This thread is turning out to be a lot funnier than I thought it would be

Nobby

On the basis that this:

fetched £75,000,000 then I’d say they were cheap.

clubber
    Free Member

I think your bike’s rubbish while you obviously think you’ve made some good choices and like it.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay. Some people find enough meaning in those dots to make it worth £33k to them. Or they think that others will and that it’s a shrewd financial investment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

fetched £75,000,000 then I’d say they were cheap.

Looks like a load of utter pollocks to me.

🙂

Nobby

Yes CFH, the most expensive load of pollock’s ever 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

IIRC Hirst didn’t even paint them, he just ‘supervised’ the lass that did.

DezB
    Free Member

That Picasso geezer. Rubbish. Can’t even get the nose in the right place.

tuffty
    Free Member

Supervised! Pmsl 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Mozart, etc. Conmen because they didn’t play in the orchestra 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well I don’t know what you’d call it in the art world, but it was something like that 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I don’t know what you’d call it in the art world, but it was something like that

They were studio assistants. It’s something that’s gone on for as long as there have been professional artists.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but those Hirst works are not.

funkrodent

thegreatape – Member
    IIRC Hirst didn’t even paint them, he just ‘supervised’ the lass that did

Not sure about these paintings, but it’s true that a number of Hirst’s major sculptures were designed by him and made by others. Hymn springs to mind, but certainly there are others.

The argument was that he isn’t a sculptor so needs others to realise his vision. Sounds like a bit of a con to me. Picasso continually re-invented himself through learning new disciplines and to my knowledge he produced all his own work.

That said a lot of the renaissance masters ran big studios and apparently a lot of their paintings were done (at least partially) by their students…

johndoh
    Free Member

I think abstract art can be utterly brilliant, but in your opinion those Hirst works are not.

DezB
    Free Member

Picasso continually re-invented himself through learning new disciplines and to my knowledge he produced all his own work.

So all Damien Hirst does is get other people to paint dots for him?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks for that johndoh, I didn’t realise people might not understand it was my opinion.Thanks for making it clear. The bold type really brings that home. I guess me putting “I think” at the start didn’t really help.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think people understood it was my opinion 😆

faz083
    Free Member

Wonder if it’s anything to do with that Derren Brown show on Friday

richpips
    Free Member

That looks like a screen grab from the Dots app.

core

I didn’t say I don’t like it, and I don’t know if there’s anything to get, is there? (Genuine question)

I’m not a hugely imaginative or creative person, but do recognise the quality of some artwork, and the talent needed to produce it.

Some ‘art’ on the other hand wouldn’t appear to require very little artistic talent. Unless something like this Hirst work has a hidden message or a picture within a picture etc then it it just a load of geometric shapes to me, and where’s the value in that, anyone could have produced it, it didn’t take a ‘special mind’.

I find art on the whole a totally pretentious and snobby afair, used mainly as a tool to boost ego’s and belittle those who don’t get it.

I just don’t get chucking a load of paint on a canvass, or a load of shapes, then making a statement about it representing something or other, or being “whatever you want it to be” etc.

GrahamS

Police are looking to speak to this man:

jam-bo

to be honest, damien hirst could shit in a bucket and someone would probably pay £33,000 for it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I just don’t get chucking a load of paint on a canvass, or a load of shapes, then making a statement about it representing something or other, or being “whatever you want it to be” etc.

I can see that it’s something you’ve really tried to engage with.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now, am I missing something

Yes.

And BTW the value of a piece of art has nothing to do with the skill taken to create it.

core

In what terms?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ah, but what is Art…..

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s exactly the question.

kayak23

I agree with some of the things that have just been said, but the metaphorical resonance of the gesture contextualize the accessibility of the work.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the internal dynamic of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix contextualize the substructure of critical thinking.

With regard to the issue of content, the metaphorical resonance of the spatial relationships visually and conceptually activates the larger carcass.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ah, but what is Art….

I don’t know but it rhymes with fart

DezB
    Free Member

Spot on, kayak23 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I agree with some of the things that have just been said, but the metaphorical resonance of the gesture contextualize the accessibility of the work.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the internal dynamic of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix contextualize the substructure of critical thinking.

With regard to the issue of content, the metaphorical resonance of the spatial relationships visually and conceptually activates the larger carcass.

That post is a paradigm shift in the meta-symbiosis of this forum. Well done.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

With regard to the issue of content, the metaphorical resonance of the spatial relationships visually and conceptually activates the larger carcass

Fraud. You didn’t use the word ‘juxtapose’.

jam-bo

‘I liked it, Oh yes, I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was particularly effective, Oh, and err.. interesting rythmic devices which seemed to counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the Vogonity of the poets compassionate soul, which stresses through the verse structure to sublimate this, and transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other. And one is left with a profound and visual insight into whatever the poem was about.

the resemblance is uncanny

lemonysam
    Free Member

With regard to the issue of content, the metaphorical resonance of the spatial relationships visually and conceptually activates the larger carcass

Hmmm… needs more unnecessary nouning but the spacial metaphors are delightfully opaque. I’m sold.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

HHGTTG?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘£33,000 worth?’ is closed to new replies.