• This topic has 45 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • 32t front by 11t rear is more than big enough for anyone here?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

On a road or fire road it’s not that quick

I think this answers your own question. I’m certainly not lucky enough that my rides are all technical singletrack and ups/downs. I invariably need to ride a bit of road, a bit of fireroad, some flat and non-techy off-road. I find myself struggling to keep up with friends with triple rings with my 36t chain ring. They’re cruising at comfortable revs and I’m having to spin like mad (relatively speaking) to keep up. Quite the opposite of “taking it easy”.

That said, I AM tempted by a 1 x 10 setup.

DT78
    Free Member

I tend to agree a 32t is fine for local loops or trail centres (though I use a 34t 11/34)

At the last XC race I did (one of the southern XCs) I attempted to be a bit competitive in my group and started near the front. It was a flat out sprint to the single track and I was cranking 44/11 to try to keep up. Admittedly it didn’t continue at this pace – but made me glad I hadn’t changed to a dual 26/38 setup for that race

njee20
    Free Member

There’s enough top XC racers using single rings of 36/38t that suggests you don’t need a 44, or anything like it, to be good at XC (Gareth Montgomerie, Oli Beck, Ade Lansley, Dave Collins spring to mind).

I think the thing for me is about the most commonly used gears – I could probably do 95% of my off road riding no slower on a 32t, but I’d be at the bottom of the block the whole time whilst the top of the cassette would go to waste. Conversely the same is true of using a 40 (for arguments sake) I’d always be at the top of the block. Ergo something in the middle makes more sense and offers the most versatility.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Agree with GT. Have 32/11 on a 2×9, a 34/11 on a 1×9 and a 32/11 on a 1×10. Only need more on smooth surfaces and then happy to cruise.
    All problems solved (if there are any) with Hopes 36 or 34-9 cassette that should be coming soon.
    Single ring up front is nice and quiet and doesn’t collect mud. Only have a 2×9 because it is a big bike and needs winching up hill.

Northwind

I’m running a 36T biggest ring on my proper mtbs and it’s a slight compromise, I don’t often spin it out offroad but I do often spin it faster than I would given the choice. That said it’s a good compromise.

But, my rigid bike is single ring 32T and that’s where it starts to bite more- it’s not such an issue on the rigid as it’s just naturally slower but I still spun it out good and proper at innerleithen the other day.

Definately don’t agree that 32/11 is some magic ratio that everyone should be happy with, any more than I agree with the people who say 22T grannies are useless.

GW
    Free Member

32 isn’t big enough for me, 36 is perfect, I run a 36 on my DH bikes and a 22/36 on my do everything hardtail. – it’d be lacking if I rode a lot of road but I have a road bike for that 😛

ziggy – Member
    32T is nowhere near enough for me.
    Currently on 26-38T and have spun that out on occasions, going to 28-40 when these rings wear out.
    Other issues for me is that 32-11 even with a short chain leaves the chain slapping around, I don’t like that.

you seem to have completely missed how it works, you won’t miraculasly reduce chain slap by fitting a large ring. Switching to an cassette with less range (say 11-28) and shortening the chain to suit will reduce chain slap.

Guess it depends on where you live, but I wouldn’t fancy a jaunt around Salisbury Plain with only a 32T ring.

nuff said 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘32t front by 11t rear is more than big enough for anyone here?’ is closed to new replies.