Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 32T -> 34T in a triple, did I goof?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Middle ring on my XT triple needed replacing, I decided to man up and go from a 32T to a 34T.

So now the mech cage fouls the middle ring. Is this fixable by repositioning the mech (won’t that make it too high for the granny?), or do I need to get a 32T? (or get a bigger granny?)

My head’s telling me this is a no-go – the mech is designed presumably for a certain interval size between the rings and I’ve broked that.

Cheezpleez

Matt, I’d try moving the cage up a bit. I reckon it’ll be OK. I have 34/22 on an XT double using a standard front mech and it’s fine.

mattjg
    Free Member

OK ta (rolls up sleeves). Gears eh what a load of faff, esp multiple rings on the front!

shindiggy
    Free Member

Use it as an excuse to go 1x 9/10.

It should be fine though with a bit of tweaking of the front mech.

composite
    Free Member

Definitely just needs adjusting I replaced my XT triple 32 ring with a 36 and it’s fine.

mattjg
    Free Member

thx gents

@shin actually 1xX is the target here, that’s why I opted for a 34 for the middle. I’m prepping this bike for our upcoming Wales/CYB weekend – I’m just not quite totally sure I want to dump the granny yet.

Can’t help thinking I may as well get some short crank bolts and bin the big ring tho, all I ever use it for is putting the chain on when descending … and the reason I have to do that is because it’s set long enough to go on the big ring! That’s a bit A about F really. (Tail wags dog!)

Yeah I think that decision’s made actually. It’s the granny that’s the question.

Sorry, thinking out loud here. Anyways short bolts on the way, and I’m pretty tempted to dump the shifter, granny, and mech while I’ve got my hands dirty.

@cheez whaddya reckon on 1x for Wales?

sugdenr
    Free Member

may as well get some short crank bolts and bin the big ring tho

Get a bashguard instead. I have 22/34. Think of it as a 1×9 for the less fit – emergency low range gear to save pushing!

mattjg
    Free Member

Decision made, gonna drop the granny and big rings, and the problem goes away. Do I need to get a chain guide? (I think I’ll just keep the FM in my bag perhaps, and whack it on if needs be).

mattjg
    Free Member

@sug ta … na I’m going to bite the bullet. I don’t need a bash for a 34, I don’t think I’ve ever bashed the 42. And I don’t mind the odd walk, I ride SS at home and can push quicker than many people can spin. Ta for thoughts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘32T -> 34T in a triple, did I goof?’ is closed to new replies.