Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 32 x ?? for the Peaks.
  • IanW
    Free Member

Got a trip lined up to the peaks, do I need to put lots of gears on the bike or will I get by with one? Which is best for a 26er.
    Ta

BadlyWiredDog

32:16, the one true gear. But it depends on how strong you are. I used to run 32:16 here, now I run 32:17, but don’t singlespeed as much as I used to. If you’re a flatlander, then maybe 32:18, but it does get kind of spinny on the flats and downs. Or gears if you don’t like pain 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

How about lots of gears but then you could always just leave it in one if you wish.

Easy really…

BigJohn

I almost always put the gears back on for the Peak because there are lots of long draggy hills. It spoils a beautiful day out otherwise, and I usually singlespeed, so I’ve no axe to grind.

oldnpastit

32:16 in the Peaks? You will be walking a lot. I’d go 32:18. But these days I have realised that there is a place for gears.

tazzymtb

33:20 on a big wheeler is just about spot on for me

BadlyWiredDog

32:16 in the Peaks? You will be walking a lot.

I rode with a load of people running 32:16 in the Peak who barely every walked. It all depends on the rider and how capable they are. I’m not saying 32:16 is easy round here, but it’s doable if you’re strong. I’m a very average rider and I used to run that ratio, though I’m on 32:17 now. It also makes a big difference knowing the smooth lines and running tyres with low rolling resistance.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I bearly get out of jaggers clough to the Cross with 22:32! 😯 😯 😯

Good luck to anyone who can SS up Jacobs!!

nbt

I run 32:16, but I don’t mind walking and pushing at times. I’ll do the best I can but sometimes, the best ain’t enough. I do tend to pack the fitness compensators when heading out into the peaks proper nowadays

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

32:22 and learn to spin. You dont really need to pedal on the downs if you’re doing it right.

BadlyWiredDog

I bearly get out of jaggers clough to the Cross with 22:32!

I’ve seen that climb ridden on 32:16, so it’s quite possible in the right conditions. It’s a middle-ring climb, have you reversed your ratios by mistake? 😉

crotchrocket
    Free Member

nope. I am but a simple dutchman.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘32 x ?? for the Peaks.’ is closed to new replies.