Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 32" PC monitor resolution
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I would like a new computer monitor to use primarily for watching occasional films via a laptop. Don’t have a TV and have no desire to get one, so I’d like to stick to a pure computer monitor rather than a TV. Looking at sizes around 32″, there seems to be a huge range in cost. Generally 1080p can be had for £3-400 which suits my budget, but there’s a lot of models with 1440 or 2160 resolution for ~ twice the price.

Given that I don’t watch stuff very often, is it worth the much higher cost to get better resolution? I’d go and look at some options, but not many shops stock this size monitor.

It feels like for use as a computer screen, I’d want the higher resolution (1080p on a 24″ monitor is about right, so going up to 32″ would want higher pixel density), but I suspect for watching films, the difference might not be so noticeable. Is that about right?

Cheers,

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I have a 1440p 32 inch screen. Pixel density is similar to a 24 inch 1080p screen. But since most films only go up to 1080p it would be of limited benefit.

You should look at screen type and possibly refresh rates, if you will also use it for gaming.

IPS screens have generally the best colour reproduction.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I may be wrong about this …

Computer screens generally higher resolutions vs TV the bulk of which are 1080. If all you are going to do is watch films you only need a TV quality screen. As most TV’s have HDMI in you can use any TV as a computer monitor on basis the laptop has HDMI out. I connect my computer to TVs by both HDMI and VGA.

Anyway I would look at both and see which makes sense price wise.

molgrips
    Free Member

Jam – most normal PC monitors are still 1080p, but smaller than tellies so they look ok. Higher resolutions are widely available but there’s a big jump in cost, more than double for the next step up.

A 32″ TV will probably be too big and therefore low res to sit close to, I’d imagine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Got it thanks. If he wants to watch films maybe he won’t sit close ?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Although it’s mostly for films, I think for PC use the lower resolution might be irritating. There seems to be a few affordable 1440 screens so I’ll take a look at those.

Cheers,

revs1972
    Free Member

I use a BenQ BL3200PT mainly for ……. ahem ….CAD work. Haven’t tried watching any films using it, but next time I’m in the office I will see what it’s like. Native screen res is 2560 x 1440 but I’m sure you can lower it to get 1080 resolution . Sitting up close does not present any problem during “downtime” activities

andywill

Currently using a Samsung TV EU325100 as a computer monitor & it works fine for me.

GrahamS

BenQ GW2765 here – 27″ and 2560×1440 IPS. Pretty affordable too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I use a Samsung 27inch 2560×1440 is it is pretty good.

1080p on a 32inch is going to be pretty poor, that’s a restrictive resolution for PC work anyway.

Look for a monitor with decent color accuracy if you want to use it as a TV.

They have some large NEC LCDs in the Barclays near us and they have one of the the best ‘TV’ pictures I have seen, mostly because of their color accuracy.

Cougar

Panels work best when the source is the screen’s native resolution. For TV that’s going to be 1080 or lower, for a computer monitor of that size it’s probably going to be a lot higher. Which is more important?

I’d either stick with 1080 or jump to 2160 – doubling the resolution, you still have a 1:1 (well, 1:2, still a whole number) relationship between source and display pixels.

Cougar

Don’t have a TV and have no desire to get one, so I’d like to stick to a pure computer monitor rather than a TV.

You could get a TV and just not plug in an aerial?

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

This was my point, a 32″ TV will be cheaper than a 32″ monitor which will be higher res which is not needed if the OP just wants to use it as a TV, ie watch films/stream stuff. From what I can see a 32 1080 TV is roughly half the price of a 32″ IPS 2160 monitor

Mowgli
    Free Member

I would need a licence for the TV, so any savings by getting one would be quickly offset by the licence fee after a couple of years. It is good to have an excuse for not having background TV blaring out when certain relatives come round.

2160 resolution is a lot more money, but I see the logic about halving the resolution when stepping back down to 1080.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No you do not need a tv licence unless you watch live tv or bbc iplayer.

If you are only going to watch films / dvd’s / youtube / etc you do not need a tv licence
    If you watch bbc iplayer on your laptop you need a tv licence fyi

If you want the most flexibility buy a nice monitor but you don’t need one for what you are asking. My computer is connected to a 54 tv and we stream lots at 1080. I also use it for web browsing and email etc sat about 3m away and font sizes increased to fill screen comfortably

Cougar

If you are only going to watch films / dvd’s / youtube / etc you do not need a tv licence
    If you watch bbc iplayer on your laptop you need a tv licence fyi

Correct.

You need a licence for watching or recording broadcast TV, or to use iPlayer (the law changed last year to include iPlayer downloads). You don’t need a licence simply because you have a television.

molgrips
    Free Member

This was my point, a 32″ TV will be cheaper than a 32″ monitor which will be higher res which is not needed if the OP just wants to use it as a TV, ie watch films/stream stuff.

Was assuming he’s going to use it as a computer as well though still?

jimdubleyou

My sweet spot at the moment is 2560 x 1440 in 27inch

Looking to replace my ageing 24 inch 1920 x 1200 as I prefer more real estate on the desktop.

Can be had for £3-400.

I’ve been recommended to use the overclockers site, but not got any personal experience.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Molgrips

primarily for watching occasional films via a laptop

So if computer use is only occasional a tv with font size turned up is ok or just use the laptop screen ?

My Mini is used with a TV most of the time and if I have large docs to create / edit then I have a 24″ 1920 pc monitor as it’s a bit wierd doing that on a large tv the other side of the room

So my summary

£400 for a nice computer screen plus I suggest some pc speakers for better sound
    £200 for a tv

bungle

+1 on BenQ BL3200PT. 2560 x 1440. Cost me about £400 a couple of years ago. GTX 760 4gb graphics card supporting it.

Same DPI as my previous 24″ HD screen so good for work use; more real estate but no tiny icons as you’d get on a 27″ at same resolution.

Fine for media watching, gets most use that way. 

Can your laptop cope with that resolution though?

mrblobby
    Free Member

My sweet spot at the moment is 2560 x 1440 in 27inch

Agree with this. If you’re going to spend any time working on it and want a big monitor then I’d not go any bigger or lower res. 1080 on a 32″ is fine for telly but text will look rubbish.

I’ve got this Viewsonic 27″ incher. I’d recommend it but must admit it now doesn’t look so good next to my 5k one 🙂

Mowgli
    Free Member

You don’t need a licence simply because you have a television

Every day’s a school day! Surprised by that. I think I’d still avoid a normal TV for the other reason though.

Laptop compatibility is another thing I’d not thought of. I only have HDMI and Intel HD 5500 internal graphics, so limited to 24Hz which is going to be a bit crap I expect.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My Mac Mini is 2009 technology and drives 1080 tv just fine from DVDs, compressed hd movie files and streaming. Ditto via Apple TV (so assume Chromecast) and iPhone/iPad. Plenty of ways to get picture onto the screen.

If you have the budget buy the monitor then. Think about speakers, I have a little £10 one. Note some monitors like Asus can have decent enough speakers but most don’t. You can’t watch a movie with just laptop speakers.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve a reasonable Denon hifi for the audio so that’s sorted. I think I need to go and look at things in the flesh; it’s easy to get carried away with numbers on the internet!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘32" PC monitor resolution’ is closed to new replies.