Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 31.6 post into unfinished carbon 33.7 seat tube….suggestions and ideas please
  • cjr61

Morning all,
    Ok, the abridged version is that I’ve chopped down an integrated seattube from a Carbon 29er frame….don’t ask why but structural queries led me to the best option. Anyway it’s cut down to normal height, compression slot cut in back and ready for seat post. I have clamp and 31.6 seat post. The seattube internal surface is a little rough/unfinished as never intended to receive seat post so I guess I will need to little sand it down to smooth it out. ID 33.7mm. I have a 31.6/34.9 shim and planning on sanding the shim down to size. Any thoughts or other options I haven’t considered? It’s an Alu USE shim. Should I glue the shim into the seat tube to make up for any tiny imperfections in tube or sanding process? If do what glue on carbon/Alu? The seat tube wall thickness is just over 2mm all round so assume reaming it out wouldn’t be an option.

Thanks

cjr61

Any thoughts? Just sand the buggers down!?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

These guys may be able to help

Or

The standard STW carbon repair response:

If i was doing myself though i’d get someone with a lathe to make a 33.7mm – 31.6mm shim and glue that in place. Rather than messing with the inside of the frame any more.

cjr61

Thanks shep

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a 31.6/34.9 shim and planning on sanding the shim down to size

That will never work IMO – you need something accurately machined – as above.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘31.6 post into unfinished carbon 33.7 seat tube….suggestions and ideas please’ is closed to new replies.