• This topic has 209 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • 31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Giving up coke (the liquid variety) is a lot harder.

If you think that is hard to give up don`t try the other kind 😯

kiwicraig

Cancel my last, it’s 4pm on Friday which means free beers at your desk in work. Argh, the struggle is real.

lowey

Still dry and still not missing it.

I cant believe how well I’m sleeping and just how much better I feel during the day.

Going away on the 16th Feb, so might extend the dry spell to then.

johndoh
    Free Member

Why is it that low alcohol/non-alcohol drinks cost broadly the same as their alcoholic equivalents? Surely, as there is no duty to be paid on it, they should be significantly cheaper? And that might also encourage more people to switch to them.

onandon
    Free Member

From the 1st jan I gave up booze, soft drinks ( diet soda ) and sweets/ candy.
    Not really missing anything so plan to keep going until mid feb.

tod456
    Free Member

**** it …. Tod456 stands up and says … It’s nearly the end of the month, I’ve had a beer … It’s sooooo good

jekkyl

I’m dry too since 31/12 also apart from a solitary glass of wine on my birthday. I’m off down to that there London with some lads on 23/02 so my plan is to break the embargo then. All through the majority of November and December I was drinking virtually every night so it was time for a change. I also received 2 bottles of whisky from Christmas, which I’ve put in the Attic out of temptations way. I do miss a drink but I want to see if I have the willpower to resist.

iainc

3 weeks down 😀

fossy

Only one evening “off” for my birthday earlier in the month. Tried Brew Dog ‘Nanny State’ the last couple of nights and it is one of the best tasting non-alcoholic ales I’ve ever had. Not bad at all.

First two weekends were ‘helped’ by early get ups for MTB rides with mates and a solo ride both days). This weekend the car needed an MOT, so was Zwifting whilst waiting. This morning was doing more organising in the man cave. It’s coming together in there, considering there are 9.5 bikes in it ! (0.5 is a tag-a-long that I should sell).

I have been out and bought a ‘Dolce Gusto’ pod machine with birthday money, but have gone for for a selection of coffees including lots of decaf pods. I don’t drink any caffeen in the evenings, for obvious reasons. We all ‘chipped’ in for a machine at work, so I bought the same for home.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In recent years, you can probably count the number of alcoholic drinks I’ve had per year on two hands, booze rarely has anything but a negative effect on me.

But I was given a bottle of Baileys at Xmas, finally opened it yesterday afternoon after work for an “Irish coffee” and started off today’s very late lie-in until gone 1000 with another!

P-Jay
    Free Member

So, how many of you boozers have got the shakes yet?!

😉

iainc

I have selected a nice bottle of wine to open next Thursday evening 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Out for a curry Feb 1st…I’ll be on the floor after 2 beers!

woody2000

Could have used a beer or 10 this weekend as the eldest W2K was being a bit of a handful, but managed to resist 🙂

Tried the flat tire lager that Murray mentioned above & it’s pretty good actually, comes in second place for me currently after the Franziskaner stuff.

My fridge is full of beer left over from Xmas overstocking so it’s been staring me in the face every time I open it. I may just give it away as I’m enjoying the lack of hangovers (which I get very easily!) 🙂

GavinB

Had one night off (by prior agreement with wifey) so far. Been drinking way too much in the run up to and during Christmas, so will be using this to reset things a little. As others have said, it’s been the improved sleep that’s been most noticeable for me.

crossland
    Free Member

I have found I am sleeping better and loosing a bit of weight, no shakes here, I don’t think I ever drunk that much

Murray

My sleeping’s still rubbish, but I do enjoy listening to podcasts in the middle of the night – the mellow voice of Melvin Bragg.

Murray

Just had 2 Nanny States and wish I hadn’t

lowey

To be honest, I dont get the alcohol free stuff.

If I’m off the beer / wine, then I just usually have a couple of cups of tea instead.

Lost 8 pounds in nearly 3 weeks of abstention. To be fair I was a fat bastard with a proper beer belly so not surprising its fallen off so quick.

Still loving the sleep.

iainc

interestingly I haven’t lost an ounce of weight….

Though I haven’t done much riding or swimming this month; a lot less than usual…

woody2000

To be honest, I dont get the alcohol free stuff

I like the taste of beer, certainly prefer it to soft drinks anyway. If I can get most of the taste without the alcohol then that’s a win for me.

I’ve lost 1.5 kilos or thereabouts, but I also haven’t been hugely active this year yet 🙂

jekkyl

I’ve lost 10lbs since the start of the year, loving it and intend to continue with the diet.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I did dry dry January once, just for the month, but kept going and now in my 4th year. I was a daily drinker too.

If anyone wants to continue two things worked for me, firstly when you get to 31 days it’s only another 19 to make 50 so why not continue, then at 50 if you want to go on it’s only another 50 to 100 etc.

Secondly work out what you have saved. Even a modest alcohol spend soon really mounts up. So really roughly for me at a fiver (bottle of wine) a day it’s £5500.

I do miss booze still, but I realise I’m a stress/comfort drinker, I definitely do not miss hang overs and most of all I like being liberated from it.

iainc

home straight now 🙂  rolling into the last dry weekend …. !

iainc

^^^^^^ tempting, but no 🙂

iainc

Survived a Burns Dinner at friends without succumbing to even a sniff of Malt 🙂

i am surprised how easy it has been, but I do like, and miss, the taste of beer, wine, many spirits, so it will be a weekend only rule when it is reintroduced in February here…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m gonna do Parched March…..

iainc

30 days down, 1 to go. Definitely sleeping better and feeling healthier overall, but I’m gonna have a large GnT on Thursday evening…. 🙂

Murray

What time do Weatherspoons open on Thursday? 🙂

Tiger6791

Feeling quite happy about the lack of booze in my life…

Gonna push on through Feb as well..

lowey

Actively enjoying not drinking.

Gonna remain dry till 16th. I’ve done dry january for the last 4 years but I;ve really felt the benefit this year. Most probably to do with the amount I was drinking on the run up to xmas.

Well done everyone who stuck with it.

taxi25
    Free Member

Have to admit all of you giving drink a miss has been an inspiration. I’m going to try for 31 dry days next year. Only not all in one month 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m gonna try for 31 days too. The nights though – that’s a different matter.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Wasn’t really too much of an issue for me as I was one of those that doesn’t really drink much anyway. I’ll keep it going though I’m off to Prague and will be having a beer or two. For February I am going to try to sack the cakes,sweets and biscuits and think this will be a harder challenge all together.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Last day today, didn’t find it hard to be honest as I think I am better at giving up completely than cutting down.  Not that I am a raging drinker but all those glasses of wine (that end up being half a bottle) add up.

It has made me question my relationship with alcohol a bit to be honest.

Seriously considering just sticking with it.  Actually quite impressed with pistonheads, erdinger, that wheat beer I can’t remember the name of and nanny state for when I fancy something like that.

iamanobody
    Free Member

i’ve done it – 39 now and not really ahd more than 2-3 dry days in a row as an adult before. Dead easy, think i may just keep going for now 🙂

#richer #healthier #notastired

cheers_drive

I’ve had 2 exceptions to being dry – new years day when I needed a shandy to calm my hangover and 1 daytime cocktail with my wife as it was our first time out together sans child in 6 months.
    Found it pretty easy to be honest, hardest bit has been my unsupportive wife who thinks it’s wrong not to drink! Have drunk Erdinger and Nanny State at weekends, Nanny State isn’t bad at all. Also drank lots of lime and soda and also tonic water.
    Have lost 3kg this month (combined with not having any chocolate or biscuits) but don’t really feel any more spritely.
    Due to go out for a drink on Saturday but will try carry on with no mid week drinks.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not knocking any off you, good luck with it all. But I saw this video and it’s so so true 😂

Dry January – The Mash Report

Non-alcoholics enjoying pretend battle with drink#TheMashReport returns to BBC Two at 10pm tonight

Posted by The Daily Mash on Thursday, January 18, 2018

taxi25
    Free Member

Well that didn’t work !! You’ll have to google the vid yourselves ☹

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !’ is closed to new replies.