• This topic has 209 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 210 total)
  • 31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Struggled for the first time today as I made and ate a full Sunday lunch.

😯

jacksprogis
    Free Member

**** the job friday, whole bottle of gin and 7 pints between us… Always next jan…

badnewz
    Free Member

I started over xmas and was 16 days in until yesterday. Surrounded by miserable people and couldn’t help myself. Hoping to get back on track for rest of week. 1 pint turned into 11. Paying for it now.
    Hard time of year to give up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fossy

Going to stick with it, even though it’s my birthday this month – decided I’m not going out to celebrate it either. Watching the diet as well.

Lost 3kg already and have been on the bike every day since the 2nd. Last week was 60 miles on Zwift, then 30 miles MTB’ing this weekend.

I put on over 10kgs after I broke my spine, and my daily cycle commute of 30 miles went out of the window. It’s been a battle to get pain under control last two years, but I’ve found a ride then shed loads of pain killers after helps, and I’m OK for the next day. Even been riding this week with a bad cough – found being ‘out’ helped more than sitting on the couch.

Got a large MTB ride planned for Sunday, and sticking with 45 minutes of Zwift each night.

Managed to switch start times around at work so I start and finish early (avoids the worst of traffic as it was killing my back in the car), and as I get home, I can get a turbo session in before the evening meal. Turbo after food isn’t pleasant.

Long term plan is no drinking through the week, or the night before a big ride.

Stick at it folks, even if only for the weight loss.

woody2000

Stick at it folks, even if only for the weight loss

Bibs have definitely felt easier to get into this week, need to weigh myself to see if I’m just imagining it! 🙂

Assuming the scales I used on NYD are accurate, I need to shift at least 5KG (preferably 7) to get back to a reasonable weight. Been easy so far, waiting for my “temptation” moment 🙂

fossy

It’s the regular ‘temptation’ that’s the issue. It’s all empty calories.

I need to both increase my cycling and reduce weight as my mates are killing me out on the trails, pre-accident I was faster ! Beer/wine is my biggest downfall and lack of cycling recently.

chestrockwell

newrobdob – Member

[b]Struggled[/b] for the first time today as I made and ate a full Sunday lunch.

😯

[/quote]

As in missed the ritual of having a couple of beers whilst cooking followed by a nice, cold bottle of white with the chicken. I enjoy good wine with good food.

Fine again now and looking forward to getting up early on Sunday for a ride.

vintagewino
    Free Member

Cracked on Friday as we were at the in-laws and I didn’t want to deal with the awkward ‘I’m the only one not drinking’ thing. Made it through Saturday and Sunday dry though, now looking ahead to the birthday weekend & two job interviews lined up for Friday – temptation ahead.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I need to shift at least 5KG (preferably 7) to get back to a reasonable weight.

same here, I was 75.5kg after the festive excess so need to lose around 6kg. Lost 1kg over the past week but should lose more with no alcohol over the next 2 weeks, and eating breakfast/lunch/dinner with no snacking in between.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I need to build up my alcohol tolerance, meeting up with some old friends in London at the end of the month for an afternoon session, don’t want to disgrace myself too early in the proceedings!

iainc

After 9 days the feeling of routine that had built up through December has now gone, which is nice. Away with work next week so will need to beware, but will be in company of at least one other who is doing similar so should be ok. Not losing any weight but definitely sleeping more soundly at night.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

3 weeks in. 1 forced week over Christmas with man flu.

Not intending to lose weight (good job as substituting alcohol with walnut whips and shortbread) but sleeping a bit better.

Agree with above posters… It’s not really that I struggle to give it up, it’s more breaking the routine. Usual couple bug glasses of rijoka and maybe a beer three nights of the week to relax after a hard day at work (or dealing with the monotony of recent stw threads). Easily over the recommended guidelines and probably considered to be in problem drinking teritory by medical professionals (or boring tee totalers*)

*if you don’t drink / drink a thimble of beer a month then well done but probably best to move on to a thread you understand 🙂

Murray

I’d forgotten how good the taste of Erdingher alcohol free is. As above, getting into a nice routine now.

iainc

weekend no. 2 is looming, how we all getting on ? Been fine here really. Very much missed the habit I guess in first couple of days, not really thought ‘I’d love a beer/wine/gin’.. much since, which is reassuring 🙂

wallop

It’s the 12th of January. Since the 1st, I’ve had one night where I drank too much wine (last Friday), and then on Monday I had a small glass of red in the pub. I’m pretty chuffed with that!

Have drunk literally gallons of tea though. I’ve worked out that I’m definitely a boredom eater & drinker. Not that I’m ever bored, but they are just distractions and something to do alongside working, looking at the internet or watching the TV. Not sure how to break that.

Tiger6791

weekend no. 2 is looming, how we all getting on ? Been fine here really. Very much missed the habit I guess in first couple of days, not really thought ‘I’d love a beer/wine/gin’.. much since, which is reassuring

Be okay until I’m in the pub tonight sipping my diet coke…. 😯

chestrockwell

Fine here, no grog at all and don’t really notice the triggers anymore. On the flip side we’re getting through plenty of milk, Ribenna and Horlicks!!

woody2000

Fine here too, though I did go to the pub on Wednesday and the beer my mates were drinking smelt really good (Salopian Kashmir). Stayed firm though, bottle of blue erdinger and a can of posh orangeade (San pellegrino) saw me through.

Weight loss not so great yet, maybe 2lbs but I’m not convinced of the accuracy of my parents scales!

Feeling much less grumpy though which is a bit of a revelation, and is very welcome to those I live with!

Have a good weekend everyone 🙂

feed

I’ve decided to keep drinking in January but give up Heroine instead. I feel too many people take Heroine

You could drop a few Es as well.

Brilliant!!

or maybe his wife’s his hero (but also a slapper)

Gary_M
    Free Member

weekend no. 2 is looming, how we all getting on ?

I’m only a short termer, had last drink of alcohol on the 7th. Wife away skiing tomorrow and I need to drop her off at 6:30am so nothing tonight and won’t have any booze while she’s away.

I don’t drink much really but will be nice not to have a malt whiskey fug tomorrow morning 🙂 Looking forward to a decent ride on the cx bike too. Also been very good in terms of snacking this week and had virtually nothing bar breakfast/lunch dinner and down to 74kg, should be down to 72 by the end of the month once I start riding properly again.

iainc

^^^ I must make a point of avoiding the racing snake Gary on the A77 for a while then 🙂 I am still sporting my Christmas gut !

Gary_M
    Free Member

🙂 If I ever get back on the A77 Iain, the ice is holding me back a bit! Set off yesterday morning and ended up heading home for the car as was sheet ice once I reached Fenwick.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, there’s been more icy roads in the shire this year than normal, went for a run on monday at lunchtime, lovely sunny day, black ice was nuts, completely unexpected!.

woody2000

New favourite AFB, it’s really tasty 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

I managed 17 days without a drop until earlier this week, when the return to a stressful job/listening to others moaning/general low mood meant I’ve been on two fairly heavy drinking sessions since, as well as bingeing on food.
    I think I have to improve my reaction to stress if I’m going to be able to cut down the booze in the long term.

ferrals
    Free Member

I made two days, I’m too weak willed to bother with stuff like this when there is no real need

rascal
    Free Member

Found it surprisingly easy so far…13th day without – last drop was early hours of NYD.

iainc

We had friends round earlier and I must admit It was hard pouring our large GnTs and wine for others and diluting juice for me, but I can be content in the knowledge that I’ll go to bed in an hour and wake up fresh for my Sunday morning ride 8)

lowey

Late to the party but 11 days dry here after a ludicrous amount of alcohol last year. Not missing it in the slightest. I even went to the pub after last Thursdays night ride with the lads and drank 2 pints of orange.

Sleeping incredibly well and feeling great during the day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Dave!.

Had a wee Prosecco and chambord on saturday night, only my 4th drink since the last weekend in October, a gin on xmas eve and a beer on each of xmas day and boxing day.

Iain – Ice cold Soda water is your friend, well it’s mine anyway, can quite easily neck a couple of pint glasses of it on a saturday evening, and the upside is that I’m pretty hydrated for sunday too for a change!.

warton
    Free Member

16 days for me, as i didn’t drink on NYE.

been ill for 14 of those days, so yet to reap the rewards.

I’m looking at extending it anyway. was alcohol free for 2 months before Christmas and i felt great. looking to do 6 months alcohol free this year.

kayak23

Been on’t wagon since January 2nd. Been ill for ages too so it’s not been that easy to tell what’s normal feeling.

Really wanted a beer after my Saturday ride but resisted.
    Hopefully keep it up and see some benefits soon. 🙂

Murray

Been listening to The Cranberries and thinking of when I worked in Stockholm. The Pripps Blå Lättöl was nowhere as good as this, and it’s 0.5%

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dry here, not missing it, was a 10 minute period on Sat night where I’d have decked a pint if I had access. Apart from that, lost 6lbs, more motivated (work excepted) but not sleeping any better, maybe worse dunno what that’s all about but poor sleep and no hangover beats marginally better sleep and a hangover so far.

iainc

Back home after 3 nights away with work. Managed to avoid the pub and resisted temptation !

How everyone else doing ?

rascal
    Free Member

If this was a ‘normal’ Thursday night I’d have had a few real ales at home. I’m off back to visit family in South Wales this weekend where I’d normally have beers with the old man – I’ll see him and won’t have beers which will be weird. 3rd weekend in – only 13 days to go now and I won’t buckle. No biggie but surprised I’ve not come close to giving in 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

As above. This is the most palatable low-alcohol hooch on the market in my experience.

Bought a box set of 12 different low-alcohol wheat beers last summer and this compared favourably. Also has the advantage of being readily available in Sainsbury’s.

Kryton57

I’m off out for a regular lads night tomorrow.

I’m having issues at work – mainly my sales target gone up 33% and I’m at the conclusion that life’s is miserable enough without having to hold back on the things we enjoy. I am limiting it though, I’ll just have a couple of pints and move on to water, and will probably then have a glass of Prosecco with the Mrs on Vals day then a couple of beers again during my birthday meal out in March.

I’ve mainly concluded I hate the foggy mornings an it doesn’t take many drinks for me to get there these days, at the same time taking my bike training and weight a bit more seriously. Therefore the above seems an adequate compromise – a coupe of drinks on treat days, no regular drinking.

chestrockwell

Still going here and stopped really thinking about it, especially during the week.

kiwicraig

Also late to the party but day 19 here and finding it surprisingly easy. Giving up coke (the liquid variety) is a lot harder.

Biggest challenge so far was going to a gig on my own and not being able to nurse a drink to look slightly less socially awkward.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !’ is closed to new replies.