• This topic has 209 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)
  • 31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !
  • iainc

After a couple of weeks of overindulgence I will start my almost annual self denial today. Not for any FB type charity, just to get a bit healthier. Anyone else ?

I don’t go through a huge amount anyway, but over December certainly more than a healthy amount if sustained, so will be looking forward to no sore heads and dropping a few kilos too 😀

Murray

Me too, I’m drinking too much so need to reset my tolerance to a lower level.

iainc

I know what you mean, habit forming so I like to take a month or so off at least once a year !

badnewz
    Free Member

Being a weird one, I give up drinking over xmas and new year, so I’m already 2 weeks in.
    But we will see how long I can continue with going back to work…

benw
    Free Member

I am planning on giving it a go,the hardest bit is going to be doing a cross race and not having a few beers when i get home.The plan is to stay dry till i go to the watch the worlds at the beginning of february.

scruff9252

Did it last year, felt pretty brilliant by the end of the month. Not a heavy drinker by most measures either.

carlosg
    Free Member

Regularly go 31 days without an alcoholic drink passing my lips , I can’t understand why people make such a big thing about abstaining.

PMK2060

Not for me. January is dark and miserable as it is.

jonny-m
    Free Member

I can’t jnderstand why people do these silly challenges…
    Everything in moderation and all that.
    If you fancy a beer, have one, life’s short.

iainc

I’m not doing it as a challenge, just a behavioural change for a few weeks. Life is indeed short and I find a break is as good as a rest.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Fair enough, just watch out for the relapse blow out at the end of the month!

iainc

😀

badnewz
    Free Member

One of the easiest ways of losing weight is to give up the booze if you are a session drinker. But keeping off it is indeed the challenge.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I simply don’t drink enough to consider stopping. An average week will be 2-3 beers and nothing else. I like the taste of a nice beer and I’m not anywhere near the recommended limits so why bother? Even last night, New Years Eve, I had 2 small lagers and one pint of bitter….. that’s enough because I don’t like feeling drunk, the disturbed sleep or the hangover. 🙂

dudeofdoom

TBH I only really take drinking up for Christmas 🙂

ITs not a bad thing though having a rest from it , you’ll appreciate it more when you have one as opposed to necking it.

slackalice
    Free Member

One of the most useful things to learn is self-regulation and I too subscribe to the ‘everything in moderation’ approach.

However, we each have our own poison’s, I’m thankful that alcohol for me, isn’t one of mine. 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

Not for me ..I don’t go to pubs other than a post ride pint ..but I do enjoy a drink at home ..in moderation and not every evening.
    One small nip last night ..and that was it ..
    Good luck with it though ..

Sandwich

A plus one from me for Peter Poddy and Jonny M.

Alex

This was always the plan as part of my healthy living approach to running my first half marathon. Which was scheduled for 21st Jan. Now it’s 14th of Jan so depending how that goes, a post race beer might slip through.

I did it a couple of years ago. Definitely felt better. But some of that isn’t eating rubbish food when you’ve had a few beers I’m sure. It’s the post ride beer I missed most esp after a grim trog through endless mud.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Everyone hit by the flu in the house this crimbo so nearly weeks without a drink- healthy Christmas….

myti
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago and noticed absolutely no difference in health or weight so not going to bother again as it was hard going and boring when there were social gatherings at the pub or someone’s birthday it just felt like denying myself a bit of pleasure for no reward.

I dont drink a lot anyway. Maybe 4 pints of cider or a bottle of wine per week max. I am however going to do no mid week drinking for probably the rest of the winter just to make sure there are plenty of alcohol free days and make sure the amount doesn’t creep up.

jimster01

I’m contemplating it, but with work looming tomorrow the will is growing weaker.

cchris2lou

Cant be bothered this year .

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m aff it too. Did the January thing a few years ago and it’s been wonderful, now only have a drink really on special(ish) occasions now. December did see me consume more than the rest of the year put together and I feel rotten.

rascal
    Free Member

I’m doing it too though I did have a couple this side of NYE 🙄
    Drunk far too much of late, and do generally.
    Went to Llandegla last week and realised just how shit I am in a bike ATM so this plus getting some sort of training plan underway for a sportive in 8 weeks seems a good idea. What I would have spent on booze I plan on giving to MacMillan – might just be the extra added incentive I need to keep me on track!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll stop when It’s all gone.

& wev’e still got LOADS! 😆

chestrockwell

Well done to the people who don’t really drink telling us they see no point in stopping drinking as they don’t really drink. 😐

The Mrs and I are giving it a go as we had been having too much grog lately. No nights out to speak of but plenty of beers while cooking, wine with tea, v&t’s to wind down with in the bath after work etc.

As said above, this month will allow us to reset our sensible limits come February.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Like the above I just can’t see the point in giving up as I just drink sensibility all year round with natural breaks in drinking alcohol of 1-5 days at any time.
    I also really can’t see the point in stopping and then bingeing, that’s just kidding yourself that you are in control and don’t have a problem with alcohol.

poah
    Free Member

seems to me people are just drinking too much in the first place

el_boufador

I stopped this time last year for a couple of months, felt great but my god it was boring! It did change my attitude to alcohol in a good way though – I’ve been drinking far more in moderation this year (occasional binge excepted). Instead of hunting for the next bender I’ve been generally much happier just having a couple of beers or driving and saving cash.
    This year I’m just going to carry on with the moderate approach.

CountZero

seems to mesome people are just drinking too much in the first place

There, that’s better.

dannybgoode

Managed 6 months last year – Jan through June and then another couple of months September to November.

Definitely felt better for it. Will do at least January again this year and see how it goes.

slackalice
    Free Member

Well done to the people who don’t really drink telling us they see no point in stopping drinking as they don’t really drink.

😆

Not drinking is easy, taking a break from the spliff however… 😯

Like I said, we all have our poisons 😉

matt_outandabout

I barely drink anyway – perhaps a couple of beers a month.

binners

I drink far too much.

For the stoptober thing, Instead of saying I was packing in completely, I just cut it right back. So still having a post ride pint or two, but not drinking at home. Not just nipping out to the pub at the drop of a hat

I’m doing the same this month

Unless I encounter too many of the type of people who come on to a thread about packing in drinking to say that they don’t drink anyway

They’d definitely make me want to start drinking very heavily, on general pronciple

wait4me

I packed it in for a month a while back and was actually quite disappointed how little different I felt. Perhaps I wasn’t caning it as much as I thought. But it’s not a bad thing for me to give it a miss at home. Gives me a reason to use the local more and that can’t be a bad thing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Regularly go 31 days without an alcoholic drink passing my lips.

Same, I do wonder how some of my mates can drink every night and moreover how they’d get on if they didn’t.

tagnut69
    Free Member

The vet put me on some happy pills last month which I cant drink on, I can honestly say that i have not missed drinking at all.

slowoldman

In the past I have with out going cold turkey. I’m drinking more than my normal amount of wine at the moment so I aim to cut down on that without giving up altogether.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

seems to mesome people are just drinking too much in the first place

There, that’s me better

FTFY.

Odd though, cos when I did nights, 7 in a row, I never even thought about a drink at all till the Monday night after I finished.
    I knew some staff who’d have 4 cans after a nightshift before they went to bed!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !’ is closed to new replies.