Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 30t narrow wide
  • spw3

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been done to death but I’m in need of advice.

I’m after a 30t narrow wide chainring but am aware that there is a potential issue with the chain fouling on the crank arms. I can see that RaceFace have tried to solve this one by having spacers built in to the design to step the chainring out a little. Do Hope and Superstar do the same thing? Is it really an issue?

The climb up the Cafell trail at Cwmcarn on Friday (dusty dusty) finally convinced me that a 32t single ring is not small enough for my chicken legs. Although I would like to point out that the little bit of sick at the top of Quadzilla was not mine.

teethgrinder

SS have a built in spacer and are also threaded. Be aware that some SRAM chainring bolts are too large diameter and won’t work.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Hope 30t has threaded holes so no need for bolts. It buys you a bit of space.

spw3

Cheers guys,

Is there any discernible difference in the way they work or is it just down to price vs brand snobbery?*

*or anti-snobbery where SS are concerned

rob2
    Free Member

Superstar every time. Nice built in spacer. I’ve a pacenti one and while threaded needed to add washers and nowhere near as good

teethgrinder

SS – lasting longer than the Works did and the teeth are deeper – not a single dropped chain.

tailsmtb
    Free Member

Pacenti was a pain due to needing washers, I sent it back. Race face 30t works well and has a built in spacer and is threaded.

spw3

Fab, sounds like its Superstar and, bc its cheap I think I may treat myself to a red one 😀

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve got the hope version. No dropped chains with a non-clutch mech.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Northshore billet do a nice one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘30t narrow wide’ is closed to new replies.