• This topic has 73 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • £300K a week for wendy ball !!!!!! you must be joking
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

How can he set up a Cayman Island company. It’s not like we don’t know where he is every week?

MSP

Because tax laws are written to allow the rich to drive big **** trucks of money through the loopholes.

badllama
    Free Member

While 300k a week would be reallllly nice 😀

The NHS is just piss poorly managed full stop.

There is masive wastage we resently had a bit of kit from a NHS supply company there was a slight repairable defect on it there answer was just to chuck it out. The kit in question was worth £5K and it was heading for a skip 🙄

Always having worked for private companies myself and others just could not believe it, throwing 5K away FFS.

Or the matress that we had at the house while we thought the MIL would make it out of hospital but sadly didn’t all we did was to take the cover of it and once again it was classed as “used” and would be scrapped.

And don’t get me started on the IT **** ups over the years good grief.

I would never want the NHS to go private EVER! but if they ran it AS EFFICIENTLY as a private company maybe there would be more funds for the sick and needy IMO

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gate receipts pay for the kit boy

Telly money is the source of the real money. If you don’t like it STOP PAYING FOR SKY/BT it’s perfectly frickin simple.

edit:Oh and half these a-holes that do pay forit if you said to them pay it in tax instead to improve the NHS they’d go chuffin ballistic. A-holes.
    double edit: I love footy by the way

dannyh
    Free Member

No Sky here. Can take or leave soccer if I’m honest. Certainly more fun to play than watch.

RichPenny
    Free Member

From a couple of quick googles to get some ballpark figures:

Turnover for uk league clubs: £3bn
    Number of regular uk footballers: 2m
    Number better than Rooney 0 (maybe 1, if simians count)

Given those figures, I find it surprising he doesnt earn more.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I would never want the NHS to go private EVER! but if they ran it AS EFFICIENTLY as a private company maybe there would be more funds for the sick and needy IMO

Like Enron, or general motors or RBS or Merril Lynch or Rover or……………………….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Free market economy or not it’s a Crass statement when this kind of money is being banded around, and paid, to someone who kicks a ball for 90mins once a week.

It’s immoral.

muggomagic

Well a footballer can command this sum of money because 76000 people will pay upwards of £60 a week to see him play then on top of that you have the people paying £50 per month for their sky subscription then you have the global audience on top of that. Then there is the merchandising. Basically he’s getting paid that because Man Utd think he’s worth it.

olddog

Firstly, why do media persist on the per week way of presenting football salaries. Basically he’s in £15million a year.

Less than some film stars get per film.

Footballers, actors, are just product.

I do wonder if the problem is that people don’t like working class boys (footballers not actors!) earning more than they ever could dream of, by being world class at a skill that they have no talent at.

Them grapes are sour

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rooney will also earn that kind of money for 6 more years. Whereas an actor or a musician could continue for decades.

Free market economy or not it’s a Crass statement when this kind of money is being banded around, and paid, to someone who kicks a ball for 90mins once a week.

There are millions of people in this country who would be more capable than you or I at our respective jobs. There are a handful more capable than Rooney, and crucially none are English. I am absolutely certain that Rooney has put more effort into his career than 90 mins once a week 😉

andyrm
    Free Member

He is a man at the top of his profession, indeed one of the best in his industry, so commands top wages.

What he does for a living is wholly irrelevant – he is a top earner in his sector because he is at the top of it.

A top doctor, a top teacher, a top banker, a top accountant, a top salesman, all expect to earn the top wages for THEIR sector. Wayne Rooney’s sector has high wages due to short career lifespan and high revenue generation. Therefore it can reasonably be expected the wage structures will be skewed higher.

I don’t see any problem with this.

andyrm
    Free Member

It’s immoral.

Do you know any top tier footballers? If you saw the training, the diet management (told what to eat, when to eat, when to eat – very much like being a toddler) etc then you’d understand it is not just kicking a ball round for 90 minutes.

I have 2 childhood friends who played at near top level and it was an eye opener seeing things develop for them as they grew up – and then seeing one (who played at international level) lose it all after injury cut his career short in his early 20s.

hora
    Free Member

Hes not ‘top’ though. Top 10. Maybe 8th.

Lots better. **** ridiculous wage. How desperate are Utd?!!

ton

a game played by fools, watched and funded by idiots,

any working class man who can honestly condone this deserves to be shot.

andyrm
    Free Member

Hes not ‘top’ though. Top 10. Maybe 8th.

Lots better. **** ridiculous wage. How desperate are Utd?!!

He has a massively marketable brand though – particularly in the far East where Rooney replica shirts etc can sell in massive volume, so his value is not just as a “player”, it’s as part of a brand, which a top athlete in any discipline needs to be now if they are to be commercially viable.

Jamie
    Free Member

My name is Jamie.

…and I am an idiot.

I’m off to get shot now. It’s all I deserve.

Goodbye cruel world 😥

olddog

Ton – played by fools, are you sure. £15m a year to play a sport they enjoy. 🙂

ton

olddog, in my mind…yes… 😀

butcher

Firstly, why do media persist on the per week way of presenting football salaries. Basically he’s in £15million a year.

Less than some film stars get per film.

Footballers, actors, are just product.

I do wonder if the problem is that people don’t like working class boys (footballers not actors!) earning more than they ever could dream of, by being world class at a skill that they have no talent at.

Them grapes are sour

Don’t agree at all. We live in world where people are starving. There are people in our own country who can’t afford to eat properly. Like I said before, I don’t generally mind people earning a lot of money, but there comes a point when it becomes unreasonable.

Many of the poorest countries in the world are home to a very small number of people with the most lavish lifestyles. And they live those lifestyles at the expense of the rest of the population. It’s part of the reason those nations are “poor”. It’s a simple case of unevenly distributed wealth.

In poorer countries the moral implications are often very obvious because the divide is so massive, and the poverty so visible. But from a moral perspective there’s not a massive difference between that and Wayne Rooney earning 300k a week. It is the same uneven distribution of wealth. Doesn’t matter if you’re an actor, a footballer or scientist, having more money than you can meaningfully spend when others can’t afford to feed themselves is just wrong.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

wendy ball, eh WENDY ball? hahahahhahhahaHAHAHAHAAHHAA, hilarious dear boy, original and utterly hilarious.
    If someone getting paid £300000 a week to kick a ball about a field inspires such precious examples of wit and originality, it’s money well spent, and you can tell your carer I said so.

olddog

Butcher – valid, and I substantially agree. But it isn’t the paradigm in which we live. Come the revolution, comrade.

The bit I don’t like us the critcism of footballers specifically, which seems to have class undertones. In the market society we live, talented working class lads shouldn’t be criticised for earning loads for what they are good at, whereas others aren’t as what they do is valued by the chattering classes. That is the point I’m making really.

Ironically, I’m sure they’d be happy to play for pretty much any normal wage if it was the going rate.

Edit for alcohol fuell mis-spelling

kimbers

it does highlight how unbalanced the world is when a wendyballer (just for chubbybloke;-) gets that salary and 2 million children die a year because of poor nutrition across the globe

especially when he channels it through an offshore account to reduce his tax bill

but its the people who buy the shirts, tickets,sky subs etc that are paying him really im sure they get pleasure out of it even if it may look like a tax on stupidity to others (but then how much does a bicycle cost)

Jamie
    Free Member

Come the revolution, comrade.

Yes. That always works out so well.

bails

There is masive wastage we resently had a bit of kit from a NHS supply company …
    Always having worked for private companies myself and others just could not believe it, throwing 5K away FFS.

Would that be NHS Supply Chain, which is operated by “DHL Supply Chain Limited”?

olddog

Footballers are just symptomatic of inequality. I was going to write a load of incisive other stuff about the crisis tendencies of free market capitalism and the nature of inequality, but am too pissed

olddog

… but there will be loads of hypocritical reporting and hand wringing in the press, radio, TV – although they rely on such controversy for thei jobs.

badllama
    Free Member

bails no don’t think so has NHS all over their building, vans and uniforms.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some comparisons
    They were paying George Clooney 100,000 per episode of ER back in 98
    Robert Downey Jnr took about $75million a year a couple of years back
    Shia la whatsit took $16m back in 2010 to hang out with gorgeous women in Transformers
    Adam Sandler $50m in 2010 for a series of shit films
    Rory Mcilroy takes about $17m to walk round with some sticks
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/06/18/mayweather-tops-list-of-the-worlds-100-highest-paid-athletes/

In all of these things it puts the best of the best (with the exception of Adam Sandler) in front of people. They have a time to earn and they make the most of it.
    The tax some of these places pay funds things like the NHS.

konabunny
    Free Member

Rooney will also earn that kind of money for 6 more years. Whereas an actor or a musician could continue for decades.

You’re using actors and musicians as examples of people who can have long careers?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it does highlight how unbalanced the world is when a wendyballer (just for chubbybloke;-) gets that salary people spend thousands of pounds on push bikes and audis and 2 million children die a year because of poor nutrition across the globe

especially when he channels it through an offshore accountpeople use all sorts of schemes like cycle to work and ducking import duty on imported goods to reduce his their tax bill

to badly quote an old novel “let the perfect ones lob the rocks first”

MSP

Cycle to work and ISA’s are small amounts of limited scope to positively encourage certain things seen as good for the majority.

Offshore tax avoidance scams are only available to the wealthy, trying to compare them is quite pathetic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really why should anyone give a 40% tax break to someone to buy another bike that they won’t ride to work? I have no problem with it for lower income groups but it’s a cheeky perk to a lot of people who can already afford it. It’s about as pathetic as getting all uppity about people earning “obscene” amounts and implying they are avoiding tax.

MSP

A tax break with a maximum value of 400 quid designed to encourage people to cycle and available to all. It is not even close to tax avoidance schemes worth millions that just encourage greed and only available to the very rich. Do you think PAYE employees can go to accounts and tell them to funnel their salaries through the Caymans for tax purposes?

It is completely idiotic to even try and claim they are the same thing.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘£300K a week for wendy ball !!!!!! you must be joking’ is closed to new replies.