Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • £300 to replace my Spyres?
  • simondbarnes

Well you’ll be able to sell the Spyres and your shifters…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Does your bike take a flat mount calliper…?

simondbarnes

No idea where that rrp came from either – it’s currently £524.99 – £300 is comfortably less than the Madison trade price.

psycorp
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the Spyres?

cp

300 is a lot less than most other places!

I’m not a fan of spyres either. My trp Hy:rds are amazing in comparison. Rear wheel lock up with one finger and really nice modulation. Way better than any mechanical disc brake I’ve used. Quite a bit cheaper than full hydraulic.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Does your bike take a flat mount calliper…?

Yes I believe so

What’s wrong with the Spyres?

Having ridden hydraulics on the MTB for years of forgotten how much better than mechanivals they are. No where near the same stopping power.

Just wasn’t quite expecting the cost of a new brakeset. Annoying because the 2017 version of my bike comes with hydros

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Rear wheel lock up with one finger and really nice modulation

That is what I am missing

mboy
    Free Member

Am I really looking at 300 quid to do that?

£300 is a bargain for Hydro STI’s with calipers!

But not only that, your mechanical STI’s are probably worth £80 and the Spyres another £40 each 2nd hand, so you’re looking at half the outlay once you’ve sold on the original bits I’d say.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dont forget 2% cashback with TCB too @ Merlin

spot
    Free Member

[/url]

cp

What model and year is your tcx?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Its a 2016 Tcx SLR 2

davosaurusrex

I did exactly that over a year back. Sold the spyres and STIs for 150 and bought the hydros for 300 from Merlin. Money well spent

simondbarnes

Its a 2016 Tcx SLR 2

The pic on giant’s website doesn’t look like flat mount calipers.

cp

2016 TCX isn’t flat mount, it’s post mount, so you’d need to factor in some adaptors. I’ve seen them before but off the top of my head i can’t remember who does them.

simondbarnes

cp – Member
    2016 TCX isn’t flat mount, it’s post mount, so you’d need to factor in some adaptors. I’ve seen them before but off the top of my head i can’t remember who does them.

There are no adaptors to fit flat mount calipers to post or is frame/forks.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

You’re both right. Defo not flat mount. Cheapest post mount brakeset is 385 by the looks of it. Bit of a showstopper for now

jimmy

When you’re ready to sell the spyres let me know

heavy_rat
    Free Member

When you’re ready to sell the spyres let me know

£300 lol?

cp

There are no adaptors to fit flat mount calipers to post or is frame/forks.

Indeed! I was thinking of adaptors t’other way

jonnyboi

Bizarrely, It’s almost cheaper to sell your entire bike and buy a new one with hydros.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

In the last few weeks I did a similar project on my Alfine build and now run TRP hylex and a bar end shifter. It’s bloody awesome, no rub, brakes are super powerful and I like the shifter.

I wish I did it years ago, and it cost £230 all in with entirely new parts.

If anyone is interested I do have a single TRP Spyre road caliper which is around 6 months old that I’m looking to sell. Any offers for that?

BadlyWiredDog

Three, sorry, four things to try with Spyres that might save you £300 and give you a pretty decent set of stoppers:

1. If you haven’t already, fit different pads. The TRP ones are rubbish, but they’re a standard Shimano pad, 515s. You can also grind or file off a small amount of metal on the later XT pad and fit that instead, better clearance with floating rotors, less pointless coverage of the ‘spoke’ sections of the rotor.

2. Fit compressionless brake housing. It really does make a significant difference.

3. I fitted a 180mm front rotor to my cross bike which was a real improvement.

4. Adjust the pistons so there’s minimal clearance between the pads and rotor. Use an appropriate allen key to wind them in to contact the rotor, then back them out by one quarter turn. Makes a big difference again.

I’d still rather have hydraulics, but given that I’m running nine speed still, I baulk at the cost of a new rear mech, cassette and levers/shifters that I’d need.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘£300 to replace my Spyres?’ is closed to new replies.