Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 300 quid laptops?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

need a pair of laptops shortly all they need to do is attach to the internet and run office.

got 300 quid for each of them – the current laptops are 4 years old and cost the same, they have pretty much given up the ghost now but given the use they get it seems like a no brainer over buying anything more expensive.

spotted a couple on Ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/352535-asus-x53u-laptop-x53u-sx155v

http://www.ebuyer.com/395098-hp-655-dual-core-laptop-b7b06es-abu

there is a toshiba as well – it has 2gb more ram BUT i dont know anyone who had a good toshiba, know alot of folk who got them for uni and they didnt last. MY asus eeepc has been a reliable wee thing and so have the several HP laptops we have had over the years.

anywhere/thing else worth looking at ?

woody2000

I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop for about £200 recently from the Dell outlet. Looked like new when it arrived, and came with a 1 year guarantee.

Dazza
    Free Member

eBay weekly/daily deals, quite a few sub £300 laptops on there at the moment.

molgrips
    Free Member

BUT i dont know anyone who had a good toshiba

I had one, lasted for years and, importantly, ran rather well the whole time keeping up with machines with a much higher paper spec. Screen inverter failed after about 4 years.

Got another, lasted a similar time and was great, the screen went too though in a way that was altogether less fixeable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we use dell at work . hateful things

currently typing on am 8 week old latitude . its on its second HDD already

before that i had a 2 year old latitude , graphics chip died on that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on paper the toshibas the better laptop of the three might just take a punt , never had an issue with ebuyer warrenty on the occasions ive used it.

ericemel
    Free Member

I swear by the dell outlet store

trail_rat
    Free Member

none of the cheap dells are in stock anyway – price shown is excluding vat and delivery.

300 quid laptop also means – 300 quid or less … not 300 quid + 100 quid 🙂

mbydmt
    Free Member

Sitting here typing on that exact ASUS (x53). It’s not great.

Speedy enough for standard use, big enough HD etc. HOWEVER it is impossible to charge. The internal charging plug is loose (not a problem with the charger) which means that I have to tease it into the right place for charging and if you want to move about it’ll be another ten minutes to get it in the right place. Crap build quality IMO.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok thats out. shame my eeepcs donkeys old and battery still does 5 hours

think i might take a punt on those toshibas

all goes wrong ill at least have spares 🙂

mbydmt
    Free Member

This did 5 hours to start, down to about 4 now (bought in January). Charging fault developed after about 3 months (need to warranty it in a year – just a pain going without a laptop).

I’ve had good Toshiba’s and bad before. If you want longevity you need an apple 😆 (can of worms…) bit more than £300 too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i agree i want an apple but thats overkill for doing a few powerpoints for school (teacher)

Mugboo

I know a lad who worked at CCL, he said that Toshiba’s never came back for repairs.

Mugboo

Having said my HP’s been great. Apart from wife standing on it and breaking the screen and my boy pulling the space bar off. It’s still going strong though and it’s over 3 yrs old. I’ve just changed the battery.

totalshell

had this toshiba from john lewis for 9 months fast slick no probs..299.. guarentted not cheaper elsewhere and it wasnt

br
    Free Member

Acers have been good for a while now, we’ve a couple. But my wife’s Toshiba is about 5 years old and now probs except it could do with a new battery.

cp

eh? There’s loads under £300 inc. VAT

trail_rat
    Free Member

must have missed them then ? all the cheap inspirons i clicked on show as sold out when you click on them.

the ultrabooks start at 300 +vat

stumpy01

Have you looked on acer direct? I got a laptop from there 6months ago – maybe more, and so far it’s been great.

My parents have got one that must be 3 yrs old now & that has also been fine although doesn’t get heavy use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

G/fs current laptop is an acer , its been a little hatebox of a thing.

BSODs, crashes , so slow using the internet and office , just worked out its 3 years old now not 4. its never really worked right but she was too inconvienanced by not having a laptop to take it back – i stripped out all the ACER branding and bloatwear and have reformatted a few times , it never makes much difference.

My parents desk top is also an acer , its never been up to much either , strikes me that they cut alot of corners to hit price point but give a high spec. id rather a lower spec but that works better , HP have always provided me with this in the past. – again came supplied full of acer bloatwear which i had to strip out.

ITs really between the HP and the Toshiba now and im drawn to the HP purely by brand loyalty and they have never let me or the g/f down.

cp

must have missed them then ? all the cheap inspirons i clicked on show as sold out when you click on them.

Under the ‘Narrow your selection… – Family’ section, select

Inspiron M5040
    Inspiron N5040
    Inspiron N5050

There’s a couple of pages worth, starting at £199+VAT

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok thanks for that …. might be worth a punt at those kinda prices

Cletus

Go to http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk and filter on less than £300.

Lots of choice – Lenovo B570 would be my choice.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_B570_1116385.html

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘300 quid laptops?’ is closed to new replies.