Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • £300-£400 laptop for daughter, what to buy
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Pretty much as the title says

need something for her to revise on and last her till uni

seen the DEll advertised at pc world, looks good.

Any info would be great as I'm a mac guy and know naff all about pc specs

cheers

wwaswas

a pink one.

it's what guided my wife choice and the Dell she ended up with seems fine.

ruminant
    Free Member

she'd go for the blue

tron
    Free Member

If she's at uni, a 12" Netbook. Easier to move and cheaper to replace when it is inevitably stolen.

z1ppy

Dell direct, not from PC world (they're all old kit!) or from the Dell refurb centre as mentioned on another thread lately.

Mrs z1ppy got a purple one [and a laptop… boom BOOM]

ruminant
    Free Member

She's just doing her GCSE's at mo

just trying to think long term or is that just a fantasy with pc's, as I said, know next to nowt about pc's

ruminant
    Free Member

Battery life on the purple one must be short 😉

Olly
    Free Member

personally, i would go to tescos!
    they often have excess stock at a more than reasonable price!
    some nice looking netbooks and notebooks in there yesterday for 200 quid.

spec wise, is she going to run games on it? if not, it will hack it, they come with more than enough storage now (250gb is pretty standard) and the processors will be fine with most stuff…

ruminant
    Free Member

Usage would be:

Office
    Itunes
    Internet
    Movies

in that order hopefully, more likely itunes first

z1ppy

Olly – Member
    personally, i would go to tescos!
    they often have excess stock at a more than reasonable price!

I checked out the £500 range from tescos vs Dell for a m8, whose missus worked @ Tesco's (and so has discount), I'd still buy (recommended) a Dell inspiron.

BillMC

Carphone warehouse were recently doing major discounts on Samsung notebooks. I got one for £230 and am very happy with it, it travels well too!

br
    Free Member

I bought an Acer Aspire 4810TZ recently, very impressed especially with the 8 hour battery life – and it is a real 8 hours. A previous work Acer managed 4 years of (travel) abuse before dying, far longer than colleagues laptops. But £500.

Wouldn't go netbook, thats a surf machine.

tron
    Free Member

Laptops do well to last 3 years, 2 if you're unlucky. I'd personally go for the one that's smallest with a decent screen.

Tracey

Tesco were selling Acers on Wednesday with £100 off

Trekster

my daughter & partner manage to destroy laptops in around 18mths, both students till recently and they do work the laptops and printers v-hard. Currently on a Samsung which replaced an Acer(2) which replaced a dell

roadiesean
    Free Member

So what is the best Chip to go for ? I am horribly confused, I just want something pretty fast….. 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

Get a refurbished Dell off Ebay.
    And if you need software go to Software for Students.

mieszko
    Free Member

Check out Argos Clearance Bargains on eBay sometimes they have some very very good value for money laptops. Some refurbished, some new, but full manufacturer warranty. Go through the specs and compare prices but some are very well priced to what You get. Netbooks with 11.6" screens for under £200. Good laptops not with Celeron processor for under £400.

nickhart
    Free Member

we bought a tosh satellite 500 or something from currys for 400 ish but i'm sure i saw them on offer at 339 in our local sainsburys!

higthepig
    Free Member

Tough choice, if she is like my 16 year old daughter. Needs to be made of rubber so it bounces, up and running a nano-second after the power button is pushed, able to run Facebook, Twitter, MSN, YouTube and about 20 other applications at the same time, weigh less than a "Teen-Magazine", have a battery life measured in months, have a keyboard that is able to counter all types of foodstuffs and drinks, have a screen that is impervious to all handprints etc, in total it is an impossible quest! Although I have been fairly impressed with the Acer ones, they have lasted a couple of years.

Good luck 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We just got an Acer Aspire from Ebuyer – I thought it was great spec for £400 – dual core processor, decent RAM and memory (we bought ours to store pictures and music on so the bigger HD was a must). It also came with a reasonable bag too.

I am pretty pleased with it apart from the fact the USB ports are on the left so if using a wired mouse, the cable has to reach right the way around for a right handed person. I ended up getting a wireless one.

zaskar
    Free Member

Acer Ferrari One if its just work…

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

just buy here a second hand macbook of ebay theres 2 on there at the mo with b i n of £425 and £450
    i presume the extra £50 will be money well spent..if youve got a mac.

tinribz
    Free Member

May be worth considering a Lenovo (R61i), they are the same a ibm thinkpads. You can pour coffee on them and stand on it. We've one and it is solid, no signs of wear after about a couple of years. Vista died in under a year mind, put xp on – died, now gone with Kubuntu – no install probs whatsoever and is FAF.

Only downside is it might be a bit on the heavy side unles you get the higher end ones.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

+1 for Acer Aspire from ebuyer. My daughter is very pleased with hers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘£300-£400 laptop for daughter, what to buy’ is closed to new replies.