Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • £30 fine for crossing traffic lights on bike
  • Bez

Right, so the shared pavement at south side of the road is legal to cycle on, and the carriageway is legal to cycle on although the Highway Code advises you to dismount to use the crossing. The pavement at the north side is not legal to cycle on. So if you had started on the shared pavement and ridden across to join the eastbound lane of the carriageway then you were quite legal, but going against Highway Code guidance. No £30 fine for you.

BTW personally I’m not sure I’d call that crossing “wide” 😉

Bez

Okay…. so how about a bike that was propelled, but then proceeds under no control, or propulsion.

I started wondering about that before you posted it and decided I had better things to think about 😉

But…

Ignoring other offences that might arise in this scenario (such as manslaughter by gross negligence!), would the vehicle be considered legally to have been propelled by you as it accelerated down the hill?

I would expect the law to deem the cycle to have been propelled by the person in charge of it and for the person in charge of it to have subsequently failed to control it. (Much as I would expect driving to be treated similarly: eg when considering the Bath tipper case, the questions regarding dangerous driving would have been around whether the driver’s actions leading up to the loss of control contributed to that loss of control, and not to his inevitable inability to arrest a runaway truck with faulty brakes on a steep hill.)

I think it may be a little futile to push our legal pontification quite this far into the realms of physical improbability, though 😉

g5604
    Free Member

I just want to know if I am going to jail.

Bez

Depends what else you’ve done.

matt_outandabout

What if I’m stood next to a conveyor belt across a toucan, holding a bike stationary yet moving on the conveyor belt, would I take off be breaking the law?

aracer
    Free Member

Pedantically the first is “being in charge of” – but pedantry is crucial here. Because clearly “propelling” has far more in common with “driving” than with “being in charge of”.

There doesn’t appear to be any specific case law on this, and as so often seems to be the case, nor is there any proper definition of the terminology. I’ve done a bit of research and thought I’d found sufficient evidence to support my position, but now I’m not sure (mainly because having found the full text of Crank vs Brooks it seems it may not apply). I’ll have a think…

Bez

Pedantically the first is “being in charge of”

Sorry, yes, flitting between tasks and got distracted, meant “charge”.

Because clearly “propelling” has far more in common with “driving” than with “being in charge of”.

There’s overlap between all three, and I wouldn’t necessarily agree with the above. Either way, I suspect neither of us are really qualified to infer the true legal interpretation of “propelling” 😉

amedias
    Free Member

so, adding further hypothetical nonsense to this…

A page or so back the distinction between mechanically propelled vehicles was made, what about trailers/caravans etc where occasionally it is necessary to ‘walk’ them to perform tight manoeuvres etc.

What offence am I guilty of by unhitching a trailer and pulling/pushing it a few feet down the road if I were to then cross the lines of a crossing with a red light?

It’s not a vehicle (I think) but it’s also not covered by the ‘normal thing to walk with’ style clauses.
    Similarly, a car with no engine being pushed from one place to another is almost undoubtedly still a vehicle.

I have been shouted at on a number of occasions by irate car drivers for pulling onto a shared path (from the road) at a red light, its a natural continuation of my journey as that point is where I would join the shared path even if the light was green, but they do seem to get grumpy about it, and I imagine in the strictest sense I am probably ‘jumping the red light’ to do so. But it seems stupid to sit waiting at the red light in order for it to turn green so I can leave the road.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Matt …I think the Toucan would probably fly off before any successful attempt to pin it down and put a conveyor belt across it.
    A Pelican on the other hand is a sight more ungainly and cumbersome and you may have more success with that ..
    Could you please video any subsequent activity as I wouldn’t mind watching that ..

Bez

I imagine in the strictest sense I am probably ‘jumping the red light’ to do so.

No, in the strict sense you’re really not, assuming the transition to the shared path occurs before the solid white line. Totally legal, totally as designed, not even any Highway Code nonsense about it. The shouty people are ignorant and wrong. But that’s shouty people for you.

amedias
    Free Member

No, in the strict sense you’re really not, assuming the transition to the shared path occurs before the solid white line. Totally legal, totally as designed, not even any Highway Code nonsense about it. The shouty people are ignorant and wrong. But that’s shouty people for you.

I think in one of the spots I’m thinking of I am actually crossing such a line to do so, off to check street view…

EDIT – yup I am, stand by for screenshot 🙂

martinhutch

Street view of the crime scene:

https://goo.gl/maps/sCyuqk9uc6A2

Shocking stuff.

I haven’t seen a Wimpy in years. 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

^ hopefully clear

Rider would be approaching on the A3015 on the road*, and then joins the shared path at the red lights (crossing the line to do so as dropped kerb only at red section/crossing), and incurs the wrath of shouty person in car also stopped at the lights. For clarity there are no other pedestrians or cyclists in the vicinity of the crossing.

*The reason for being on the road (not that you need one) is that it’s exceedingly awkward to join the shared path prior to the lights making the road the easier option. Can provide more pics explaining why if necessary but suffice it to say it’s easier on the road.

aracer
    Free Member

Shitty infrastructure, but you are breaking the law by crossing the white line whilst still on your bike. As discussed above getting off your bike and pushing it is a grey area which I’m not sure we’re going to come to any conclusion on (I very much doubt there will ever be any case law though). Clearly it would be legal to join the shared use path before the white line (whether getting off, or bunnyhopping) and riding along the path past the white line though. But on such intricacies of law are cases won and lost.

As for trailers/caravans, there may be statute or case law defining their legal status – though I’d think that they wouldn’t be defined as vehicles, hence S36 wouldn’t apply. I CBA doing any research on that though, so you’re on your own, sorry!

nedrapier

pre-light side-hop ftw.

amedias
    Free Member

but you are breaking the law by crossing the white line whilst still on your bike

Yup, you would be, but I can’t say I’m that bothered, it’s safer (and better for the cars behind ) to join the path on a red light there, than it is to sit and wait with them revving behind for the green. They perhaps should have put a dropped kerb in before the line to make it easier to join.

Shitty infrastructure

As always 😉

I’m sure the intention is that you’d be on the shared path already, the problem is they neglected to make that an easy task* so I often find myself approaching there on the road.

* it depends on traffic and pedestrian levels a few hundred yards earlier and your direction of approach. at 5am in the morning it’s a doddle to join, at 5pm in the evening it’s a differnt story…

Bez

^ hopefully clear

Sadly not, it’s blocked here 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

Sadly not, it’s blocked here

bah!

is this blocked (slower alternative hosting)?

giantalkali
    Free Member

That looks naughty, but if you had hoisted a fat wheely across the line then you’d have elevated yourself to a level where jobsworth old gits wouldn’t harass you.

Until you post it on here…

amedias
    Free Member

Until you post it on here…

I thought about that, but then I don’t think that many jobsworths go patrolling STW looking for retrospective infringements to get in a froth about, not to mention having no idea when historical infringements might or might not have happened.

If any of them are patrolling and want to double/multi froth then I also once rode a bike on a footway, exceeded a speed limit and also may have lingered for a while near a ‘no loitering’ sign. Oh, I’ve also camped somewhere I shouldn’t have. Straight to hell for me!

crazy-legs

Yes, if you’re doing it properly, the diversion from the road onto the shared use pavement needs to be before the traffic lights like this wonderful version in Manchester

(ignoring of course the fact it then leaves the cyclist with a sign for a dental lab to negotiate and literally nowhere to go…)

I always find that one amusing as I ride past it – divert onto cycle route, hit the sign and then have a private dentists right next to you to fix the resulting faceplant injuries.

There’s a similar one just a fraction further on to send cyclists round the back of a tram stop and avoid crossing the tracks, that one is a bit better. Legally that then avoids the issue of “jumping” the red lights to get onto the shared use part.

Bez

You’re being kind to it, you’re forgetting the door zone leading up to it.

edlong
    Free Member

..exceeded a speed limit..

On a bike? I’ve heard that technically bikes aren’t covered by the relevant legislation and so speed limits don’t apply. Again, very interested in being corrected on that one by those who know these things?

While I’m here, asking again if anyone knows about that photo that gets trotted out on all infrastructure threads of the “Cyclists Dismount” signs every couple of metres – does anyone have any provenance for that – is it for real (in which case: WTF!?) or is it ‘shopped?

amedias
    Free Member

There’s a similar one just a fraction further ont ot send cyclists round the back of a tram stop and avoid crossing the tracks, that one is a bit better. Legally that then avoids the issue of “jumping” the red lights to get onto the shared use part.

There’s a similar one near me, not a tram stop but a very short section of cycle/shared path, that seems designed specifically to get cyclists past a red light.

The only problems being it makes you join a very busy bit of shared path with many pedestrians (near a school) routing you right across the exit of a pedestrian crossing (which will be being used because the lights are red), and then abruptly stops with a cyclists give way line, on the junction of a side road and the road you’ve just left and by the time you’re reached it the lights will have probably changed, meaning you now have to give way to rejoin the road you were on in literally the worst place possible! It’s bonkers, saves no time for the cyclist, in fact makes it worse, and creates conflict with pedestrians and the drivers you jsut went past but now have to stop for, it is most definitely better to stay on the road there.
    And yet I’ve been yelled at for NOT using it and stopping at the red lights instead. Driver told me to ‘Get on f’in cycle path!” and when I pointed out that

a> I shouldn;t becasue the lights were red
    b> Said cycle path ends about 10m later

just got told to “just **** off then” 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

Wonderful – ambulance chasing advanced level. Rather than wait for accidents to happen, cause them yourself. Surely there is some law being broken putting that sign there?

aracer
    Free Member

You’re correct – RTRA 1984 which is the relevant legislation specifically uses the words “motor vehicles” in the relevant clauses (81, 86, 89) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/part/VI

While I’m here, asking again if anyone knows about that photo that gets trotted out on all infrastructure threads of the “Cyclists Dismount” signs every couple of metres – does anyone have any provenance for that – is it for real (in which case: WTF!?) or is it ‘shopped?

Sorry I ignored you before, it’s real:
    http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/September2007.htm

Or at least it was – I’ve had a scan on streetview around the suggested location and can’t find it. Found a possible location, but it seems to have changed a bit since – I also think that pic was taken with a long lens which foreshortens it a bit.

See comments at https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/11500/ – same streetview location I found independently.

Bez

I’ve heard that technically bikes aren’t covered by the relevant legislation and so speed limits don’t apply.

Correct. Speed limits apply to motor vehicles only, apart from specific legislation for the Royal Parks which applies to all vehicles.

The “cyclists dismount overload” picture is perfectly real, I forget where it is.

Edit: oh, thanks very much Aracer for getting in there 33 seconds before me with that 😉

edlong
    Free Member

Ta very much (both)

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘£30 fine for crossing traffic lights on bike’ is closed to new replies.