Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 3 Years Unemployed
  • bigjim

Mate of mine was in the same boat after his two chemistry postdocs, ended up moving to Birmingham for a graduate position in a chemical company and having to start his way back up the ladder from scratch.

Northwind

As another random career swerve, there’s a whole parallel university industry that runs beside the academic world and some of it really welcomes masters and phd people… Like, I work in student recruitment, half the new starts in our line are people that’ve completed a research masters or phd then got fed up with that line of development. So they’re knee deep in university life. It helps to have an in, like having worked as a student at recruitment events, open days etc as a lot of people do…

Anyway- not specifically suggesting you follow my rocky career path, just adding that the university experience itself can be valued as much as the skills you gained.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m going to agree with a couple of the other guys – If I’m recruiting – unless its REALLY specific then the qualifications don’t even get looked at tbh.
    Their experience and what/where they’ve worked are far more important than any paperwork telling me they have “xyz” phd.
    Whilst the phd tells me they can apply themselves to study (well depending on WHAT the phd is) the downside is they have very little hands on experience and life skills to actually do the job.
    In our field – your skill set is what is needed. Even the qualification needed to do the basic job is only your entry card – you’re still only a labourer without other skills/trades.

bikebouy
    Free Member

scandal42 – Member
    Move to Loughborough

Don’t laugh

Before you get there, or, or after?

😆

wwaswas

Before you get there, or, or after?

well he certainly wouldn’t be laughing after…

mikertroid
    Free Member

Allthepies + 1

What can possibly go wrong?

scandal42
    Free Member

Nowt wrong we Lugga like

konagirl
    Free Member

Your career history looks scarily like my brother’s!

If you have been totally out of work for 3 years then you obviously need to change tact. And probably change your CV. If you aren’t getting interviews and they say it’s because you are ‘over qualified’ then you probably writing it like a post-doc application. In which case completely rearrange it to be skills-with-examples (matched to each application you make), then education as a simple list.

I would highly encourage you to look at all pay grades, even if it feels like starting afresh. If asked, explain that your post doc experience wasn’t what you hoped for and you want to change fields. Depending what type of chemistry you did, as well as the standard chemistry, oil&gas industries, teaching or HSE, some additional options could be: scientific coding / software development or sales; lab work, including biosciences, materials science; proof-reading / publishing; or quality control and testing. Cambridge has a vast bio-medical sector for example. It is better to have a low paid job than no job at all, IMO. Every so often more ‘interesting’ analytical chemistry jobs come up in the environmental sector, for example in ice cores for British Antarctic Survey.

mattyfez

New scientist magazine, as well as being interesting, seems to have a good jobs section too.

Just be aware that with no experience or track record your not going to walk into a 50k job.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘3 Years Unemployed’ is closed to new replies.