Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 3 x 9 to 2 x 9
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Currently running 3×9 on my hardtail and rebuolding it on a new frame.

Thought I’d take the chance to save some weight and simplify things and drop down to 2×9

I believe I can keep the same gear levers and just adjust the limiter, but I know next to nothing about gear ratios.

I’m currently running 11-32 on the rear and 44/32/22 up front.

Seems to have the right range for me – so what would I change to if going to 2x ?

Thanks

superdan

I have been using 36-22 + bash with a 34-11 on the back for years, fast enough on the roads/downhill and low enough to winch up lakeland climbs.

duckers
    Free Member

You’re not going to get the same top end, so if you spend much time in the big ring and 3 smallest cogs thats what your going to lose. You could mix it up with a 40 outer and 26 inner if you can find one. Ive just gone back from 2×10 to 3×10, well actually upgraded rather than gone back as the bike came that way!

The maximum number of teeth difference a shimano 2×10 front mech can handle is 14 according to the docs, not sure about sram, b I think you could use your current 3×10 front mech and set the limit screw so it doesnt drop to the (non existant) granny.

2×9 doesnt really simplify things or save that much weight as you still have a front derraileur and shifter, you certainly wouldnt notice any performance difference front the weight loss, taking a shit before the ride would lose more.

1×9/10/11 is lighter but more restrictive.

mjsmke

I went from 3×9 to 2×9 and use an 11-34 cassette with 26/38 up front. I loose about 2 gears top end.

timb34
    Free Member

It doesn’t save much weight, but I found that when running 3×9 with 44/32/22 up front I never used the very top gear and was often changing between 44 and 32.

I went to 2×9 by taking off the 44, and changing the 32 for a 36. Less front changes, same granny gears and I much prefered it.

As you only need a 36t middle and some short chainring bolts, it’s easy to try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘3 x 9 to 2 x 9’ is closed to new replies.